Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New eqinox 800's being sold????

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New eqinox 800's being sold????
July 24, 2018 11:46PM
A buddy of mine has had the 800 for a couple months now.....hasen't used it. The planets have to align just right, I guess.....time to get out, weather, mood, girlfriend...etc.
July 25, 2018 12:21AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Welgund Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ... but once in the field it l
> > acked depth on high conductors. I then took my
> ct
> > x into the park to locate a deep target w8ch I f
> ou
> > nd next to a large piece of iron at approximatel
> y
> > 8.5 to 9in. The Nox wouldn't hit it in any mode
> ....
>
> This was my experience too. I also flagged a dee
> p whisper that I was getting with my Exp. II. Tha
> t I suspected could be a deep penny/dime. Turned
> out to be a teens wheatie at something like 8" (s
> oil is funky in this location). The Nox 800 coul
> dn't get a peep off of it, despite trying various
> settings.
>
> HOWEVER, did you try slowing down your recovery sp
> eed ? On most machines, recovery speed doesn't s
> eem to rob you of much depth (you just have to lis
> ten harder for the faster beeps). But on the Nox,
> it does indeed seem to make a depth difference. N
> aturally, by slowing it down, there's the inherent
> drawback of less target separation. Doh! Noneth
> eless, I'd recommend you try this on your next fla
> gged in-situ test. See if you get the added dept
> h. That's one test I didn't get to do before sel
> ling mine.

Tom, I did try slowing down the recovery speed, still a no go. My soil out west here is very different than a lot of people's soil. Believe me, I went into the Nox hoping for a machine that might let me eliminate some of the machines I have. I have the best machines I have found for me in my soil for every situation.
CTX for deep old silver
Tom tunes CZ5 and 6a for deep old nickels
Xp Deus HF, VGG, Tesoro Vaq and Mojave for ghost town, Relic hunting.
MMK for all around and waterproof capability.
Certain posters on here seem to think that if you don't speak highly or claim the Nox is the end all, you are a shill and trying to push other machines or somehow work for and being paid by other manufacturers.
The only pushing I see on most forums is by equinox fan boys. Like I said, it's a good machine, lacking a small coil at the time I had it so I sold it because,
A. It will not outperform a CTX for old silver hunting.
B. It will not outperform a good CZ for old nickel hunting.
C. It will not outperform a VGG with a super 6 coil in heavy iron trash.
D. It will not outperform a XP Deus with 9in HF coil for general relic hunting.

I am a firm believer of using the best possible machine for a given situation and at this time the Nox is not thay. Maybe the 6in coil will change some scenarios, maybe not. Time will tell.
July 25, 2018 01:52AM
I just found it to be redundant with the other detectors I had and not as good as some in most of the sites I have the most frequent access to.
Apparently if you do not salivate at the site of an Equinox nor genuflect before those who do use it , you are a hater.
I did find that it towered above other detectors in one aspect,,,,,ease of sale.thumbs down
July 25, 2018 11:01PM
AS much as I did not want to like the Equinox, I do like it. Those that know me also know I have ran pretty much every relevant unit that it out there, I do not impress easily but this machine has my attention. I am also the guy who keeps hunting the same parks and yards over and over looking for what's left and many times come home empty handed.
As luck would have it my first time out with the EQ800 I managed to hit a 1861 Half dime, I have dug a few seated out of this circa 1870 park but this was my first half dime. Since then this unit as well as the EQ600 have been doing a good job earning their keep.
I will however disagree with some of the other posters as to how it stacks up against other units. I would definitely choose my Deus with the 11X13 coil over the EQ800 as far as raw depth. Now this may change when the 15" coil comes out for the EQ, only time will tell. I also will not be parting with the CTX or E Trac anytime soon.
Those who have really put the hours in on this unit will appreciate what it has and what it does. Not making anything "Obsolete" in my opinion BUT certainly has the attention of other manufactures.
July 25, 2018 11:11PM
I'm glad that I didn't get caught up in all the hype and pay a premium for a Nox. I might give one a try when I see what the real market value is going to be after enough people get out and use them. Some people bought and sold theirs before the hype started to die down some. Also I want to wait and see if there's any bugs that need to be corrected.

tabman
July 26, 2018 02:46AM
My succinct take on Equinox.
What really makes it stand out??

The way it works and the signals it produces, it makes a person curious, hence they dig.
It is not like any other detector I have run in this department.

I fully expect to see some nice find some unearthed by folks using.

And I’ll bet the best finds made, if the person will be honest will admit they didn’t have a clue about what they dug beforehand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2018 02:48AM by tnsharpshooter.
July 26, 2018 09:05AM
Like Gerald, I've been kind of waiting for the dust to settle, so to speak, and now that it has somewhat, I am just not seeing the Nox as a "game changer" for my type of hunting, hunting for old coins. If what makes the Nox special is recovering something good that I didn't have a clue of what it was before digging it, I get a few of those signals with some of the detectors I already have. There are also a couple of guys I would still like to hear their reports on the Equinox, too. Although, there is now plenty of info floating around out there on it now. Anyway, I am still doing the wait and see for a while longer. HH jim tn
July 26, 2018 10:50AM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> My succinct take on Equinox.
> What really makes it stand out??
>
> The way it works and the signals it produces, it m
> akes a person curious, hence they dig.
> It is not like any other detector I have run in th
> is department.
>
> I fully expect to see some nice find some unearthe
> d by folks using.
>
> And I’ll bet the best finds made, if the person wi
> ll be honest will admit they didn’t have a clue ab
> out what they dug beforehand.

Yep, you're right about that. I always seem to do better right out of the gate with a new detector on its maiden voyage because I dig a lot of targets that I'm not certain about that were either being partially masked or just really neat finds that I wouldn't have normally have dug.

tabman
July 26, 2018 11:05AM
I've been running my Nox vs my mates and their Deus 11" coils for several weeks, we've been double checking each others live targets, especially more iffy/challenging one's, and hands down the Nox is winning, some of the comparisons signals have been eye opening, i like both machines but for low to mid conductors it's ahead, though that may change with the new 11" Deus coil.
July 26, 2018 12:37PM
auminesweeper Wrote:
> adamBomb Wrote:
> -----
> > tons of threads speaking to it but...
> >
> > Its as deep as the most expensive machines, its
> mu
> > ch much lighter (for us beach hunters), and its
> mu
> > ch cheaper (for us beach hunters). In the right
> co
> > nditions it may also be able to find smaller gol
> d,
> > like chains. So the hype is justified if you are
> a
> > beach hunter. Is it the end all be all? Nope. Bu
> t
> > its a great option right now.
>
> I would rather use a DF or a CZ or a PI Machine, a
> nd the new Whites TDI Beach Hunter looks like the
> way to go.

A DF picks up anything but is a hassle to pinpoint.
A CZ is nice but lacks range in the iron disc.
A PI, well my SDC is the one for the beach low tide area, deep and easy to pinpoint on the small stuff :-)

The Nox 800 is my just below high tide line at low tide machine. It pics up the low conductors, hits on the high conductors and has a very nice spread in the iron range so I can tell when its stainless under the coil.

My current beach machine list.
Dry sand X-terra 705 with the MF 9” Concentric.
Upper wet slope Nox 800
Lower wet slope CTX around iron, SDC when I just want to dig.

But that’s just my take on detecting and after trying a few brands I’m happy to stick with Minelab. Because I know my machines and they bring home the finds.

HH
Johnb
July 26, 2018 01:49PM
You would have been the person I thought who would have bought a NOX . Would fit into your wheelhouse perfect imo. If I remember correctly you are shooting yards and curb strips in town?????

tabman Wrote:
> I'm glad that I didn't get caught up in all the hy
> pe and pay a premium for a Nox. I might give one a
> try when I see what the real market value is going
> to be after enough people get out and use them. So
> me people bought and sold theirs before the hype s
> tarted to die down some. Also I want to wait and s
> ee if there's any bugs that need to be corrected.
>
> tabman
August 15, 2018 10:07PM
goodmore Wrote:
> As I have stated in other posts....Any new detecto
> r regardless of brand will not make that old site
> new. A few more coins? Maybe a few more silver? If
> you want to have success find new places to hunt.

i think all of us want to believe the eq is the be all end all..we are all looking for a detector
that will find stuff amongst the junk at public parks and other places. i want very much to believe this too,
however,i also believe we are all in denial (not a river in egypt!)..MOST of us don't have the time to research so we always end up in public places
disappointed,because the latest and greatest isn't finding squat.come into the light people.MAYBE the stuff just isn't there any more.MAYBE we got it all!
i want to think no,but a little voice keeps telling me in the back of my mind,that these places are truly hunted out?,and i just can't accept that!..perhaps it's time to
"wake up" to the realization that,yes it's really "cooked"! ,and no new technology is going to change that!..time to "smarten up" and do a "ton" of research,or maybe take up golf!
heaven forbid!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 15, 2018 10:12PM
jim tn Wrote:
> Like Gerald, I've been kind of waiting for the dus
> t to settle, so to speak, and now that it has some
> what, I am just not seeing the Nox as a "game chan
> ger" for my type of hunting, hunting for old coins
> . If what makes the Nox special is recovering some
> thing good that I didn't have a clue of what it wa
> s before digging it, I get a few of those signals
> with some of the detectors I already have. There a
> re also a couple of guys I would still like to hea
> r their reports on the Equinox, too. Although, the
> re is now plenty of info floating around out there
> on it now. Anyway, I am still doing the wait and s
> ee for a while longer. HH jim tn

jim! way i understand it,is you don't need one anyway,with all the stuff you find!
eh! he! he!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 15, 2018 10:36PM
Yep, j.t., I've got bank vaults full of silver! he! he!
August 16, 2018 01:31AM
I'm inclined to agree with Welgund above. I think his list or four detectors that would cost about $5,800.00 will out perform a $899 detector any day. Just sayin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 01:31AM by Tom Slick.
August 16, 2018 04:19AM
jim tn Wrote:
> Yep, j.t., I've got bank vaults full of silver! he
> ! he!

i believe it jim! i seen the stuff you seem to find on a continual basis over the years!
ain't no crap!...it's the truth!..what he say!..hot as hades down there now!..you must be backing' down for a month or two,
or you are doing' water?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 16, 2018 04:22AM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> I'm inclined to agree with Welgund above. I think
> his list or four detectors that would cost about $
> 5,800.00 will out perform a $899 detector any day.
> Just sayin'

i think thy call that "value for money spent?"..ehe! he! he!..what he say!
August 16, 2018 05:32AM
The BBS and FBS Minelab machines struggled with finding small jewelry and recovery next to iron. Minelab addressed this weakness with the Nox. This new model fix however, has compromised the (FBS) positives which was 2d numeric ID and stable locked on ID at depth. Tone quality was at its best with the Explorer. The Etrac won in menu format, easy of use, and added tone adjustments (tied in with ferrous / conductive) that allowed the user better customization. There could be a ton of used Nox on the market when the warranty runs out. The Nox is version one of this new Multi-IQ Tech.....some are ready for version two.
August 16, 2018 09:01AM
I have found that a recovery speed of 4 is optimum. As you go higher depth decreases drastically, any lower and sweep speed approaches a crawl. But that's just me and my conditions.
August 16, 2018 12:46PM
Don't believe the hype! Please! I can use more good finds.

The Nox is such an effective machine that I am confident enough to issue this challenge. The challenge is to anyone who has a "hunted out" site and doesn't have a Nox(and I can get there).

I GUARANTEE I will find something non-modern day-junk at your site(I will even exclude clad).
August 16, 2018 04:58PM
makes me want to get one right away! ..a serious vote of confidence there!
gotta be something there!..life's a gamble anyway!..what else we got to do?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 16, 2018 05:41PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Don't believe the hype! Please! I can use more goo
> d finds.
>
> The Nox is such an effective machine that I am con
> fident enough to issue this challenge. The challen
> ge is to anyone who has a "hunted out" site and do
> esn't have a Nox(and I can get there).
>
> I GUARANTEE I will find something non-modern day-j
> unk at your site(I will even exclude clad).

I have a small site in a public park that I have gone over with three detectors, 7 freq's, a half dozen programs, and each of those variables gridded in two directions. And yet, the last time out with the recently acquired Nox resulted in a gold ring. The problem? It was anodized gold, as in aluminum. There was just something about the sound of the signal that piqued my curiosity. And I think that's the deal with different detectors, they do something you're not used to and that difference, however small, alerts you. So when a new detector comes out - it's different - and that results in more finds. Once you're more accustomed to it your finds start to decline.
And the new machine doesn't have to be an expensive or mid-range one either. I bought a Quest Q20 to use as a loaner and was testing it over ground I'd been on before and found a gold-plated silver ring that I'd missed several times before with my "top" machines. Just a different type sound is all it takes.
Fascinating hobby, learning never ends.
August 16, 2018 07:02PM
PhDtector Wrote:
> Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> -----
> > Don't believe the hype! Please! I can use more g
> oo
> > d finds.
> >
> > The Nox is such an effective machine that I am c
> on
> > fident enough to issue this challenge. The chall
> en
> > ge is to anyone who has a "hunted out" site and
> do
> > esn't have a Nox(and I can get there).
> >
> > I GUARANTEE I will find something non-modern day
> -j
> > unk at your site(I will even exclude clad).
>
> I have a small site in a public park that I hav
> e gone over with three detectors, 7 freq's, a half
> dozen programs, and each of those variables gridde
> d in two directions. And yet, the last time out wi
> th the recently acquired Nox resulted in a gold ri
> ng. The problem? It was anodized gold, as i
> n aluminum. There was just something about the sou
> nd of the signal that piqued my curiosity. And I t
> hink that's the deal with different detectors, the
> y do something you're not used to and that differe
> nce, however small, alerts you. So when a new dete
> ctor comes out - it's different - and that results
> in more finds. Once you're more accustomed to it
> your finds start to decline.
> And the new machine doesn't have to be an expensiv
> e or mid-range one either. I bought a Quest Q20 to
> use as a loaner and was testing it over ground I'd
> been on before and found a gold-plated silver ring
> that I'd missed several times before with my "top"
> machines. Just a different type sound is all it ta
> kes.
> Fascinating hobby, learning never ends.

Excellent response PhDtector & yes, yes to your last sentence!------One of the things that fascinates me about the E800 is the fact that I am digging very small pieces of old jewelry--DEEP.-----The jewelry pieces haven't been really valuable (so far)---but---I've been over this area (and I mean been over it) any number of times with "top" machines & missed these items.-----Too many times & too many items to be a coincidence.-------It's not "just a different type sound" though----the (lower) I.D. #'s come in pretty accurate & consistent.-----I don't want to get "lazy" & start ignoring this fact.smiling smiley--------I've had to "eat some crow" concerning the E800--doesn't taste so bad after all!-------Bottom line----Is crow the best food in the world?--NO-------Is the E800 the best detector going?----Same answer--NO (but we're getting there).thumbs down------------Del
August 16, 2018 07:26PM
Funny thing is up until the start of last year I had been detecting for 15 years, almost all in parks. Then I went detecting with a couple guys who are good detectorists. Watching them, how much trash they dug (dig it all) and how fast they were NOT moving compared to me, not to mention the finds they were getting compared to mine,I realized one thing. I didn't have 15 years experience - more like one years experience 15 times. Since then I have become much better at detecting. Never too old to learn.
August 17, 2018 03:09AM
The more signals one digs the more the possibility of finding good things. The Minelab Nox, Vista models, Nokta models, Makro Kruzer , XP GMP, and Deus are good at unmasking non-ferrous in iron. What seperates these models is.......which gives you a higher percentage of good targets vs junk within the same time period ? Depth is somewhat irrelevant if you dig lots of deep junk. I've dug coins in a (so called) hunted out site with a lowly Tesoro Compadre.....it wasnt better than my Minelab, just waay diffrent. No such thing as a hunted out site....period (even after the Nox). I love Minelab multi-frequency, but hype is hype. No matter what model you use, ask yourself at the end of the day....."Did I have fun, or was it work?".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 10:56PM by Arkansas.
August 17, 2018 05:38AM
excellent point!..well taken!..after all,it's a hobby..if it isn't fun,
what are we doing' it for?..actually detectors have had sufficient depth starting with
the introduction of v.l.f. back in '77 with bounty hunter. the issue has always been 'separation"
in trash.with the advent of digital circuits has "improved" the detectors ability to see amongst the junk,
hunting in trash is still proving to be a challenging environment to operate in.as long as coin shooting remains "fun"
then the hobby will survive.beats hell out of playing golf anyway.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 17, 2018 11:35AM
jmaryt Wrote:
> excellent point!..well taken!..after all,it's a ho
> bby..if it isn't fun,
> what are we doing' it for?..actually detectors hav
> e had sufficient depth starting with
> the introduction of v.l.f. back in '77 with bounty
> hunter. the issue has always been 'separation"
> in trash.with the advent of digital circuits has "
> improved" the detectors ability to see amongst the
> junk,
> hunting in trash is still proving to be a challeng
> ing environment to operate in.as long as coin shoo
> ting remains "fun"
> then the hobby will survive.beats hell out of play
> ing golf anyway.
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.

I've never played golf so I wouldn't know.----Golf is pretty torturous huh John?smiling smiley-----I think I'd rather chase around after that (hopefully) next coin than some little ball though!!------Nah, I think if I ever did have to give up detecting I'd take up knitting!----Yeah, that's what I'd do, take up knitting!thumbs downwinking smiley
August 17, 2018 10:24PM
yep! golf is a "giant pain in da ass!),not to mention the cost! my dad used to say he could never understand
why someone would put a little white ball on a tee ,then knock it ten miles and chase after it,just to knock it another ten mines!
(figure of speech!) anyway,man had a point!..del!,at least with knitting,you would be creating something worthwhile to wear!..all
golf will do is empty your wallet,especially if ya use an electric cart!..no..i would continue to pursue the silver,because even if it eludes you,
you can always get your gas money back in clad!..i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 18, 2018 12:55AM
I've never played golf outside of putt putt but I wish I were good at it. That would truly be a hobby that pays for itself. Heck, even just being a caddie on the PGA tour will earn you mid 6 figures annually according to forbes. And they don't even have to hit the ball around.

This year in jewelry hunting freshwater beaches, every beach I go to has a daily fee for parking and or just using the beach. $3 a day in most of them, some are $5. These are smaller swim areas; the bigger one may be the size of a US football field...the rest are about half that size. If you put them on a every other week rotation to keep on top of any recent jewelry drops...you are gonna keep them pretty clean. If you figure parking fee costs vs the value of what I've actually found, I come out a little ahead. That is, until you figure in the cost of gas too...then we are in the hole. BUT that's the drive behind this hobby. That next scoop COULD be something worth hundreds of dollars. My drive has always been about that next target.
August 18, 2018 02:08PM
Ive done a lot of various types of hunting..... each has its attraction. But..... most end up being a collection. ..except beach hunting. We are more likely to break even even with repairs and new equipment. That make a wife happy lol.