Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Musketeer Advantage Back in Action

Posted by Sven1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Musketeer Advantage Back in Action
August 19, 2018 06:32PM
I bought Skiwhiz's musky that he bought from Arki with the electrical taped searchcoil cable. The price was right. It arrived with some performance deficiency, almost short about 4" when comparing to Keith S. air test.
[www.youtube.com]

After ripping the electrical tape off, found the outer cable rubber insulation jacket had deteriorated and just fell off and or peeled away.
Did some repair work, shortened the cable wires, nylon spiral wrapped the two coil wires, liquid rubber coated it, then slid over some shrink tubing to finish it off.

End result, set up like Keith's in the video, I could replicate his air test. Did manage to get a chirp at 17" with my gold wedding band. Actually pretty good with a small gold ear loop and a 12 grain gold nugget.

I also, switched from an s-handle to a carbon graphite straight shaft that I had made up for one of my PI's last year, just hadn't used it yet. Made good use of it. It actually made the heavy unbalanced Musky into a lightweight feeling perfectly balanced detector.

Did make up a Musky coil repair pdf. file, that I will shortly post on my website.

Quite pleased with this detector.

I am attempting one more add-on mod that plugs into the headphone jack that will act as a limiter for those loud surface targets and has the ability to variably adjust the tone from a high to a lower more pleasing tone. Circuit boards have been made, still experimental.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
Re: Musketeer Advantage Back in Action
August 19, 2018 07:04PM
One of Ole' Keith Southerns fave Detectors.
August 19, 2018 09:06PM
Nice looking rig Sven.

Heck of a job getting that Musky back in tip top shape.

Looking forward to hearing about the additional features you will be adding on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2018 09:07PM by therover61.
August 19, 2018 11:14PM
Yeah Nice job on the repairs. One of these day I gotta dust mine off and give it a go. It has been ignored way too long.
Tom
August 20, 2018 12:17AM
Great job Sven.
August 20, 2018 01:06AM
Very nice looking rig and very under rated detector.
August 20, 2018 03:32AM
Sven your coil cable looks like a NEL cable they are pretty thick. Overall it looks like a killer setup.
August 20, 2018 02:07PM
"That's a nice set-up! If your coils ever fail I have a selection of new & used TS 1000, TS800 coils"
August 20, 2018 02:26PM
Good job Sven,

I had one that I got from Keith and it would hit a nickle @ 17" with the Ts 800 coil

ended up selling it due to the ear bashing when sifting iron but I should've kept it anyway as they are/can go deep if you get a hot one!

Let us know how the limiter works for you thumbs down