Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Old West Silver dug and LOTS OF IT thumbs down

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Old West Silver dug and LOTS OF IT thumbs down
November 12, 2017 12:56AM
I was able to pull off a last minute trip with Tom, so while everyone is waiting for their Equinox to arrive, here's something to keep you entertained:

[youtu.be]

SPOILER ALERT: LOTS OF OLD WEST SILVER WAS FOUND smileys with beer

HH,
Brian
Re: Old West Silver dug and LOTS OF IT thumbs down
November 12, 2017 03:03AM
Nice silver day Brian and Tom....good spot!
November 12, 2017 04:20AM
You've sent me an Equinox? Thank you! Can't wait! <g>
Enjoyed your video. The hits just kept coming. Nice haul of Seateds, indeed. Congrats!

Wayne

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
November 12, 2017 07:46AM
Cool beans thumbs down

Gotta love diggin multiple seated coins any day grinning smiley
November 12, 2017 03:20PM
Brian, you and Tom are absolutely slaying it! Funny how what would normally be a nice find (51 Rosie) kinda fails compared to the Seated coins. The soil looks to be alkaline. Is this one of the places you found the Impact at 20 kHz performed well where you were having trouble with the Racer 2?
November 12, 2017 03:32PM
Outstanding!!! You guys are killing it.
November 12, 2017 04:26PM
nice bunch of finds!!! what was this place that had such a concentration of good finds? How did you come to pick this spot? Stage Coach stop? Miners camp? thanks.
November 12, 2017 04:45PM
Seems some hunters don't stick with one machine and learn it.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
November 12, 2017 05:49PM
More sour grapes bLowboy? Always with the negative waves.
November 12, 2017 06:24PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice silver day Brian and Tom....good spot!

Thanks!

ncwayne Wrote:
> You've sent me an Equinox? Thank you! Can't wait!
> <g>
> Enjoyed your video. The hits just kept coming. Nic
> e haul of Seateds, indeed. Congrats!
>
> Wayne

Yep, just wait by the mailbox, it'll be there any day spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Thanks Wayne!

MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> Cool beans thumbs down
>
> Gotta love diggin multiple seated coins any day grinning smiley

It was a good hunt, hoping to get back before winter sets in.

Tom Slick Wrote:
> Brian, you and Tom are absolutely slaying it! Funn
> y how what would normally be a nice find (51 Rosie
> ) kinda fails compared to the Seated coins. The so
> il looks to be alkaline. Is this one of the places
> you found the Impact at 20 kHz performed well wher
> e you were having trouble with the Racer 2?

The 51 rose was about a hundred years too new smiling smiley
It's one of the sites that the R2 and F75 is challenged at. The 20 kHz on the Impact is able to punch though the ground minerals better, but the Minelabs (multifreq) have no problems at these highly mineralized sites. A smaller coil handles the ground minerals better, but some of the targets are deep, and would be missed. Might try my CZ70 there next time we go, or the Equinox if it's out by then.

Crosby Wrote:
> Outstanding!!! You guys are killing it.

Thanks buddy, hopefully we'll be killing it over the winter in the city smiling smiley

martygene Wrote:
> nice bunch of finds!!! what was this place that ha
> d such a concentration of good finds? How did you
> come to pick this spot? Stage Coach stop? Miners c
> amp? thanks.

Thanks. Without giving away the golden goose, it's a site that I've know about for a long time, but did not know it's exact location. Tom and I did a ghost town trip near there, and I mentioned it. When we returned from that trip, we got serious about researching it. Took a couple of times out there with feet on ground to actually find it (it's literally in the middle of BFE), but we were able to finally locate it by the visual debris field and confirmation with detectors). It's a western frontier era ghost town type place.

Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Seems some hunters don't stick with one machine and learn it.

Detectors are tools, need the right one for the job. Your Dues with the new HF coil would probably do very well in this highly mineralized ground, aside from a HF VLF, multi-frequency machines like the Minelab FBS/BBS units do well out there. Non HF VLF units are handicapped (crippled is more like it) at some of these mineralized sites on targets with any kind of depth to them..

I'll give you an example, that suspender buckle that Tom dug in the beginning of the video - I'd just detected that same exact spot, and I heard it on the Impact, but it sounded like a crap signal so I moved on. Tom's Explorer2 told him it was a conductor, so he dug it. In hindsight it would've been the perfect signal to test various modes and settings on the Impact to see if it could improve it's ability to ID at depth, but given I'd already dug a ton of iron that day, I was tired of chasing signals as thus far, they'd all turned out to be iron.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 06:35PM by Cal_cobra.
November 12, 2017 06:29PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Seems some hunters don't stick with one machine an
> d learn it.

Seems some are jealous too.
November 12, 2017 08:36PM
LoL @ Daniel grinning smiley
November 12, 2017 09:20PM
Nice digs!
November 12, 2017 11:13PM
Pretty amazing How shallow some of those Seated were. Just goes to show not everything is Deep.
And How research pays off.
Very Nice.
November 12, 2017 11:49PM
Great stuff you guys. SEATED!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
November 13, 2017 12:29AM
You guys are living the dream in the Old West. Even though I am in freezing cold Connecticut, I do appreciate you bringing me along on your trip. thumbs down
November 13, 2017 02:30AM
NICE!!!

watched it earlier today!!

seated is always welcome!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
November 13, 2017 03:57PM
Thanx for assembling the story of our trip Brian.

EPL II Wrote:
I do a
> ppreciate you bringing me along on your trip. thumbs down

EPLII, I like the way you phrase that smiling smiley

Md's like seeing each other's show & tell. To "pace" ourselves by, and vicariously enjoy each other's trophies. The video camera and youtube have added a new dimension to that. After enjoying the likes of Ron (CA relic adventure) , hoover boys, and so forth, we wanted to give it a try ourselves. Brian's done a few before, and I'd done a single one before , but this was the first joint effort.

We're still working out some bugs and ideas. Like on this trip, I had toyed with the idea of a go-pro type setup. But today's smart phones have gotten SO sophisticated (vid cameras sseeoo good), that I did some experimenting with simply mounting my entire smart phone some how. Finally got a system where I took a baseball cap, and contorted the duck bill in such a way that the belt clip, when attached to the duck-bill, aims right down to my feet and hands area. Worked pretty durned good (although I probably looked goofy, haha)

And the headphones are so close to the duck-bill , that the audio can actually be heard coming through, even without pulling out my headphone jack to show the viewer. Just simply to pull one cup off one ear, provides enough audio. At other times, I pull the plug all the way out to increase volume.

On the next trip I'm going to do some further experimentation to have continual "on". Because most of these clips were turning it on strictly when I had a signal. That requires stopping each time, fiddling with the positioning and on-and off switch, etc... That was in order to save batter life on the phone. But with an extra battery-pod and patch chord to my side-pocket, I think I can probably get hours of video. That will make for a more-natural "landing" on the eventual targets (albeit still edited to choose which segments to include). Because often time when I've decided on a signal, I've already kicked back the desert floor with my boot, to gain another inch. So by only turning the camera on THEN, the viewer is not getting the full strategy , of the hunter deciding what to chase, and what he passed.
November 13, 2017 04:45PM
Tom, hearing those 'flutey' sounds makes it 'clear' you've definitely got the right tool for the job.
I can see why you've kept your explorer....
But, it certainly looks like you drink too much coffee based on the speed with which you attack those holes, lol
November 13, 2017 05:39PM
canslawhero Wrote:
> Tom, hearing those 'flutey' sounds makes it 'clear
> ' you've definitely got the right tool for the job
> .
> I can see why you've kept your explorer....
> But, it certainly looks like you drink too much co
> ffee based on the speed with which you attack thos
> e holes, lol

Hey there canslaw, good to hear from you. Yes the Explorer was shining out there. That tooty-fluty "sweet silver dime signal is oh-so-sweet when you're in a place where seateds have been showing up. The sound that a fellow explorer user will no doubt drool over hearing in such sites, haha. The "come to papa" sound, ha. Brian had a 4-star sound with his 1837 Shilling. And that, combined with the locking numeric ID, was, I guess "music to the Impact user's ears".

Some of the discrepancy of coin count (me 7 coins, Brian 2 coins) can be attributed to simply choice of areas we happened-to-swing. But on the all, yes, the Explorer kicks butt here. Brian was getting fooled by multiple iron, while I only got fooled a few times.

It's always good to compare technology side-by-side. We're looking forward to getting the ox on some of these back-pocket sites.
November 13, 2017 05:45PM
Congrats on the seated coins ! Very well done video presentation as well.

Question for Tom in ca...........I'm new to the explorer and was curious how the tones were set on your machine?

Thanks......Noah
November 13, 2017 05:57PM
Noah, for relicky sites such as this, I use ferrous, with screen wide open (ie.: negative 12). Then iron will come in as a grunt. I like that so I have a perpetual idea of the spread of iron targets, while I'm trying to sniff out the conductors trying to peep through. Other people prefer the iron sounds to be rejected (ie.: silent). In which case you'd perhaps use conductive, while blacking out the left side of the screen (or using "smart screen" = same thing).

Other controls settings : deep "off", fast recovery : "on". Sens. about 20-ish . Variability 10. Gain 7.
November 13, 2017 06:30PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> canslawhero Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Tom, hearing those 'flutey' sounds makes it 'cle
> ar
> > ' you've definitely got the right tool for the j
> ob
> > .
> > I can see why you've kept your explorer....
> > But, it certainly looks like you drink too much
> co
> > ffee based on the speed with which you attack th
> os
> > e holes, lol
>
> Hey there canslaw, good to hear from you. Yes the
> Explorer was shining out there. That tooty-fluty
> "sweet silver dime signal is oh-so-sweet when you'
> re in a place where seateds have been showing up.
> The sound that a fellow explorer user will no doub
> t drool over hearing in such sites, haha. The "[
> i]come to papa[/i]" sound, ha. Brian had a 4-sta
> r sound with his 1837 Shilling. And that, combin
> ed with the locking numeric ID, was, I guess "musi
> c to the Impact user's ears".
>
> Some of the discrepancy of coin count (me 7 coins,
> Brian 2 coins) can be attributed to simply choice
> of areas we happened-to-swing. But on the all, y
> es, the Explorer kicks butt here. Brian was get
> ting fooled by multiple iron, while I only got foo
> led a few times.
>
> It's always good to compare technology side-by-sid
> e. We're looking forward to getting the ox on so
> me of these back-pocket sites.

Tom is a very fast hunter, never really seen anyone that "races" around so fast with a detector that by all accounts on the Internet isn't a fast machine, yet he has no problems racing around and getting the goods. I'm admittedly not as fast of a hunter as Tom.

He used to really kick my butt when I used my F75, almost every time his conductive target count would exceed mine. That changed when I got the Racers, BUT there's a couple of sites with alkali/mineralized soil that my VLF machines struggle at. At this site, a lot of big, deep iron was sounding good on the Impact, yet Tom's Exp2 was correctly ID'ing it as iron. Also the area I was mainly focusing on was already fairly heavily detected, but good in the past, so I was trying to squeeze another good target out of there, but to no avail, they just weren't there. I may take my CZ70 to this site if the Equinox isn't out yet the next time, because this funky soil not only kills the silver coins, but also cripples my VLF machines sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2017 06:33PM by Cal_cobra.
November 14, 2017 12:18AM
Yeah, I'm fast on "up and down" to recover targets. Like can-slaw noted: As if I'm hyped out on coffee/uppers, haha. And pretty adept at 2nd reading sites and sounds. D/t 40-ish years experience Started when I was a pimple faced teenager, racing around town on my Schwinn 10-speed, with my White 66Tr slung over my handle bars.

Oh, and did I mention humble too ? grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2017 12:23AM by Tom_in_CA.
November 14, 2017 02:08AM
Thanks for the info Tom!
I spent the first few days running with the stock coin setting and conductive tones to get a feel for it.
Since then I've been running with the nail setting from the Sabich handbook and ferrous tones.
Seems to cut down on the high tone nail falsing. Really liking the explorer.
I've only used Tesoros and an idx before this machine.
The Minelab audio is somethings else but I feel like I'm beginning to get it.

Thanks again......Noah
November 14, 2017 02:34AM
TabZilla Wrote:
>
> Thanks again......Noah

You're welcome. My rates are reasonable smiling smiley And as far as deeep coins (esp. in turf if you're trying to cherry pick), a good way to master that is to flag signals with a proficient user . Listen to what they're trying to isolate. That's what made the "lights go on" for me years ago.

And as for relicky sites (where your objective is anything conductive) I think you can get a hint from the audio of cal cobra's video. Notice on a few of those, at first, I had to kick the ground (get closer) to get it to 'clear up'. Then when getting closer yet, the 4-star repeatable comes into focus.

This is the benefit, in relicky sites, to accepting iron (albeit tones that you'll pass). Because the MERE FACT of an iron grunt will subconsciously make you double swing over them . To make sure that you're not simply hearing the fringe of a conductive target that just wasn't centered quite right. So sometimes on a few signals that initially were grunts, You'd see how I'd criss cross quickly. Double checking.

Some of the signals (like the suspender clip) were nothing but whispers at the start, where I had a suspicion that caused me to kick and re-kick the ground, gaining another inch or two, to "bring in" the suspected hint of something conductive down there. The downside of having iron disc'd out, is that you never get that prompt to cause you to-double-check in the first place..

When in turf though (angling for deep silver, and not angling for gold or nickels) I'll be much more selective and sloppy. Doh !
November 17, 2017 06:41AM
Seeing those seated coins coming out of the ground makes your mouth water.

Congrats on the great hunt.