Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Are ANY of these U/W phones for the Kruzer or EQ loud?

Posted by cjc 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
cjc
Are ANY of these U/W phones for the Kruzer or EQ loud?
September 30, 2018 04:15PM
seems to be all mixed reviews. never have I heard anyone say "yes--they are loud underwater."
cjc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2018 04:16PM by cjc.
Re: Are ANY of these U/W phones for the Kruzer or EQ loud?
September 30, 2018 04:50PM
The LS Pelso ones for the Kruzer will deafen you if you have the detector volume at 10.

I only have the Minelab yellows for the Equinox. I don't think they are overly loud but my buddy says he can hear the signals thru mine from over 30 feet away while they are on my head. He would comment "man that sounds good from here...". I saw the Grey Ghost ones for the Nox but I am not a fan of their products so I will pass on those.
cjc
September 30, 2018 09:12PM
Thanks, Daniel--those Pelsos seem to be where its at. Out of stock at K-co they must be okay,
cjc
September 30, 2018 09:55PM
I don't snorkel or dive, but they have plenty of volume on the Nox. I run tone vol at 25 and volume 11 (quiet surroundings) to 15 (heavy wind, waves) which "should" leave plenty of room for losses when the speakers are submerged. I ran volume up to 25 just now as a test... Ouch!

Edit: I run a little threshold at 5 which is just below barely audible for me. While threshold 7 in air tests anyway does seem to push the fringe response a bit further out..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2018 10:04PM by Jackpine.
September 30, 2018 10:28PM
I got a pair of these from Tony Eisenhower and they are plenty loud and superb sounding tone wise.
[www.youtube.com]
cjc
September 30, 2018 11:03PM
Thanks--will say though that underwater those low tones are really faint with the stocks--or even the HRs I tried. Both about half of the wireless stock ones.
cjc
October 01, 2018 10:13AM
Clive....... might take a look at the MALs. [www.youtube.com] In your case you need quality and volume....... volume seems to be lacking in some phones we normally use as waders or even snorkeling. He mentioned IP68 speakers with gortex..... i assume they are audiosears. Ive often though waterproof ear buds might with with a pair of ear protector muffs over them....... i dont know if anyone has tried that. It might limited depth just because of ear pressure having them in. Most require drain holes to equalize the pressure and allow water to escape if you do more than snorkel.
October 01, 2018 09:12PM
Hi Clive,
I have been in contact with Mal and am getting a set of his SuperBlues phones for CTX and Nox.
I asked Mal about his SurfFones in regard to their applications for water hunting and he says they are "water resistant", they are designed for wading applications and safe for an inadvertent dunking or splash but not for snorkeling or diving. Currently he has ones that connect directly to the CTX but the Nox version has to be used with WM08.
Apparently the connector Minelab is using for their waterproof headset to Equinox is not an over the counter item that is available to the talented few who make custom headsets.
Also any accidents with water ingress with non Minelab phones will void your machines warranty according to Mal.
Hope that helps.
Drew.
October 01, 2018 10:28PM
I was told MAL has two cables that come with them....... one for the CTX and the other for the NOX? Ive made headphones for mine..... all it took was a Mono jack and CTX connector. Ive also got a set of Tony Eisenhowers and Harolds.
October 01, 2018 11:50PM
Hi Dew,

Not trying to step on any toes with my post, as stated I am getting the SuperBlues for land for both units. Mal has stated that his phones are not for divers and if I read Clive right I think he is in the market for diving phones for use with a hood.

I will direct quote what Mal told me in his reply to me:

With the headphones will you be in the water or not as determines the type of headset you use.

SurffoneS are watertight and bespoke to the CTX unless you are using the WM08 on the Equinox then a standard 90 deg jack will suffice as the WM08 not even weatherproof so also need protecting.

At the moment I do not have the waterproof connector that Minelab use as they are made for them and not on general release.

Some are making DIY ones but will not provide a warranty on them so they don’t leak and damage the detector.

I understood that the wading phones are adaptable to Nox through the WM 08 but are not able to directly plug into the jack in the control box with a waterproof connection, hope I got the gist correct, if not my apologies.
Anyway I would love to know your experience and evaluation of both headphones, tone quality, volume,etc.
Do you have a favorite or are they both winners, (full disclosure I am a total newb to water hunting).
Cheers,
Drew.
October 02, 2018 10:49AM
No problem Drew........ information is what we are all here for. Hes not diving to deep........ those machines are only rated to 10'.