Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Early American 1820 One-Piece Militia Eagle Button

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Early American 1820 One-Piece Militia Eagle Button
December 02, 2018 06:36AM
Last month I posted this from a hunt I did at an early California camp:

MRH suggested to clean it up with Naval Jelly. I'd heard of using it in the past, but when I tried to track it down here around 5-6 years ago I couldn't find it, and I got Aluminum Jelly instead, which the guy at the store said was basically the same. I never had good luck with Aluminum Jelly. Today I was able to find some Loctite Naval Jelly at Lowes! Following the instructions, and using toothpicks to pick off the crud, I was shocked to see that the button still had gold gilt in the crudded up areas! Took a few applications and tooth pickings, but what a day and night difference on the button now!

One piece, about 21mm in diameter, brass, fully intact loop on the back:

I had previously found what appeared to be the same button at The Treasure Depot's Button Library that was ID'd as an 1820 Militia one piece button, do we agree this is actually what it is? It looks very similar, although not exact, like an 1820 Infantry button. Wish I had the button book, just don't find enough old buttons like this out here to justify the expenditure.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 06:46PM by Cal_cobra.
Re: Early American 1820 One-Piece Militia Eagle Button
December 02, 2018 11:26AM
Nice job, Brian. Surly the position in the ground along with the gold gilding protects the button somewhat, nice!
December 02, 2018 01:56PM
Nice one!
December 02, 2018 03:22PM
Nice find.! World of difference after clean up
December 02, 2018 03:27PM
Great looking (old) button Brian and good job of cleaning. Naval Jelly works wonders on nickels, too. HH jim tn
December 02, 2018 05:47PM
Cleaned up nice. Great looking find. Congrats Brian.

El
December 02, 2018 05:53PM
Very nice Brian!
December 02, 2018 07:37PM
That cleaned up nice!
December 02, 2018 09:31PM
Good looking button. Much better than expected .Nice job!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2018 09:32PM by Jackpine.
December 03, 2018 10:52PM
Nice grinning smiley
December 04, 2018 02:06AM
Sweet!!

Turned out Nice!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 04, 2018 04:52PM
Thanks everyone!

It's rare to find something like this on the West Coast, there just wasn't many Europeans out here prior to the gold rush, let alone U.S. military.
December 05, 2018 08:01PM
A friend has the Alberts Military buttons book and found it in there, it's a GI-67 1798-1802 Militia button eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2018 10:16PM by Cal_cobra.
December 05, 2018 08:13PM
Excellent story. Excellent pictures. Excellent restoration. Cool history. And you deserved every bit of that find. Thanx for the update !
December 05, 2018 09:22PM
That's a cool looking button buddy.
December 05, 2018 09:31PM
Outstanding button! I thought I got them all. Just goes to show a place never gets totally hunt out. drinking smiley
December 06, 2018 12:23AM
Tom Slick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Outstanding button! I thought I got them all. Just
> goes to show a place never gets totally hunt out.
> drinking smiley

Or ... in this situation/location: Never hunted smiling smiley

But seriously now: Even if we were the first to swing detectors there, it was still not a "cake walk". The research, time, reconn'ing, etc... to find the producing sites, is 90% of the time and energy. And then ..... let's be honest: There's sometimes "access" issues. So to even get on a good site in the first place, is not by "looking on the map for the nearest park or beach". We're taking into consideration scores of grading points. Like ...... the more obscure the history citations that lead us there, the better. So that there's less odds that not every Tom, Dick & Harry have likewise pounded it.

And in this particular location, even though we may have been the first to swing there, it was not "flush" with targets. It was a sparsely used site it seems. But once you're in a spot that ceased all usage after 1860-ish, you're "holding your breath" on every single beep that finally comes through your headphones smiling smiley
December 07, 2018 06:08AM
Tom Slick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Outstanding button! I thought I got them all. Just goes to show a place never gets totally hunt out. drinking smiley

I'm glad you left something for us smiling smiley Where do you suppose the gold coins are you kindly left behind eye popping smiley
December 08, 2018 12:22AM
Nice!!!

early!!Bet its really high domed!!

Congrats!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla