Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Here's my Modded Vista Gold Gain

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Here's my Modded Vista Gold Gain
December 29, 2018 11:32PM
Re: Here's my Modded Vista Gold Gain
December 30, 2018 12:40AM
cool mod.
December 30, 2018 01:13AM
Nice Keith, sweet set up!
December 30, 2018 02:02AM
Very nice setup Keith!
I used that Whites S -rod for my Tiger Shark years ago, works a lot better than the straight stock shaft!

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 04:31AM by Aaron.
December 30, 2018 02:36AM
Nice mod Keith. I used the same White's S rod and lower rod to mod my Nox 800. Swings much better.
December 30, 2018 03:05AM
It’s such a pity that Minelab with all their physics and electronic expertise outsources their mechanical packages to guys who do toasters and lpoorly designed garden tools. I took my Nox through El Paso on our trip across to the east cost last spring. I stopped to pay my respects to Dave Johnson and showed it to him. He stopped me 10 feet away from his chair....”I’ll tell you right now what they messed up with the ergonomics”. What? says me..His answer “hand it here...” He proceeded to show me how a straight line from the center of the arm’s line in the arm rest - through the middle of the handgrip - met the ground well ahead of the center of the coil. He went on to explain how every reversal of swing would introduce torque (twisting) and chafing on the hand at the top to the handgrip.

Guess the guy who developed the F75 - arguably the most ergonomic metal detector in history - ain’t no fool.

I recently got a couple of the Vallon VMH3CS mine detectors - straight shaft, but the arm cuff is set well above the center line of the shaft - result - better ergonomics. The line of support intersects the line of resistance of the rod and coil near the middle of the coil - bliss.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 03:09AM by lytle78.
December 30, 2018 03:26AM
Now that is what I call one FINE piece of down home engineering. Keith are you sure you weren't a design engineer in a former life. If not, you missed your calling. Modifying that grip upright to accept a 90 deg. conduit elbow was genius and it ended up slicker'n a minner's pete... well, you know what I'm trying to say.

The next time I get the hankering to mod something rather than trying to lay it out in a CAD program I'm just gonna send it to you. It'll probably get done a lot quicker, cheaper and end up a whole lot slicker than if I did it myself.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2018 03:37AM by Chris Woods.
December 30, 2018 06:10AM
Great job Keith.
December 30, 2018 01:12PM
Reminds me of my "Big PawPaw" who use to make all kinds of neat tools in his blacksmith shop.
December 30, 2018 07:09PM
Yes Rick the T2/f75 is APEX ergonomics

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 30, 2018 07:31PM
Enjoy all the mods. I like also the ones from Paul (aka Old California). Thanks
December 30, 2018 07:38PM
Thanks fellas!

High Praise coming form you Chris with your abilities.

I almost shortened the handle down about 1/2 inch more to let grip come up over the barrel of the conduit for a cleaner look.but if I ever use a heavy glove I was scared it may hit the switches.

I've tweaked on the design some since the mod here and there.That's one thing about modding you will keep tweaking things forever.

I'm a pretty good stick welder took a 2 year course in it and like doing it but welding aluminum I'm not very good at and it ends up looking like a sloppy mess or cracking.I may get the proper equipment one day to weld aluminum and then I wont need to try and come up with weird mounts..Ill just build my own mounts.(HEAVEN) I have a buddy who can weld aluminum that turns out beautiful and he's done some stuff for me but then its not really my Mod. you know?

One thing on welding though is like in this case i can t get a rubber grip on the handle then weld as it will melt the grip and after its welded I cant get the grip on so catch 22.Id still end up with a two piece screw together setup to get grip on but with welding I could get some custom connection point's though.

Be careful modding it can become an addiction in it's own right.spend a afternoon in home depot with you slide calipers just starring at all sorts of gizmos with the gears spinning in your head.LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
December 30, 2018 10:28PM
Nice work!! Lot of creativity there.

I hear ya on the stores. I've banned my wife from going to Hobby Lobby by herself...she can spend a whole paycheck there when not supervised. And she banned me from Harbor Freight for the same reason haha.
December 30, 2018 10:37PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice work!! Lot of creativity there.
>
> I hear ya on the stores. I've banned my wife from
> going to Hobby Lobby by herself...she can spend a
> whole paycheck there when not supervised. And sh
> e banned me from Harbor Freight for the same reaso
> n haha.

Hey Dan, you better have your wife read up on the law books. It says right in paragraph 9 section 12 that a man can not be banned from any Harbor Freight store winking smiley.