Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I Just Bought My 6th Teknetics Omega 8000

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I Just Bought My 6th Teknetics Omega 8000
November 19, 2018 02:41PM
Every time that I sell an Omega I get seller's remorse and go out and purchase another one. This time I set a new record, I purchase another one the same day that I dropped my old one off at the Post Office. I'm particularly fond of versions 5 and 6 since they handle EMI better than the earlier versions. At 7.8 kHz they really light up silver coins. They're easy to swing, simple to use and have great audio tones and ID. Dave Johnson knocked this one out of the park. I heard that it was one of his favorite designs. Anyone else out there a big fan of the Omega 8000?

tabman
Re: I Just Bought My 6th Teknetics Omega 8000
November 19, 2018 03:13PM
pregnant pause here...

while we wait for the latest caladig basher video on datube <g>

purely in jest, of course

Wayne
November 19, 2018 03:23PM
I really liked my Omega 8000, ultra light, fast, and while it wasn't a depth demon, it was great at sniffing silver out of iron in demos. It was challenged with EMI issues (as were most FTP machines of that era), but I never had an opportunity to try the later versions.

Thought the Omega 8500 was going to be a killer detector, yet by most accounts it didn't quite make the mark (8500 for was Jorge's project).

-Cal
November 19, 2018 03:33PM
Monte likes the v4 the best.----The problem seems to be with repair if needed.---FT sends you back an 8500.---Don't know if that is because of unavailable parts or what.
November 19, 2018 03:39PM
I actually ordered an 8000 once, but when I received it, it was an 8500. Might have been the very first one they "sold," even if shipping it to me was a mistake.
There were things I liked about it, the walker half it found for me being one of them. But over time it just seemed to be quirky machine for which I could not find its niche. So I let it go.
Thought about finding a true 8000 but never did. Now I'm pretty much over FTP altogether.

Wayne
November 19, 2018 03:56PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Monte likes the v4 the best.----The problem seems
> to be with repair if needed.---FT sends you back a
> n 8500.---Don't know if that is because of unavail
> able parts or what.

Monte likes version 4 better because he mainly hunts out in boonies where there's not much EMI. Like me, Monte knows how well an 8-inch 'concentric' search coil pairs up with an Omega. Years ago people kept posting about how much smoother the Gamma ran compared to the Omega. I took the stock 8-inch concentric search coil off of the Gamma and replaced the Omega's 11-inch DD search coil with it and it also ran smoother. In my mild soil, the Omega has no trouble hitting a 7+ inch silver dime. It hits it hard with a good ID. I just love the audio tones!

tabman
November 19, 2018 04:01PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> I actually ordered an 8000 once, but when I receiv
> ed it, it was an 8500. Might have been the very fi
> rst one they "sold," even if shipping it to me was
> a mistake.
> There were things I liked about it, the walker hal
> f it found for me being one of them. But over time
> it just seemed to be quirky machine for which I co
> uld not find its niche. So I let it go.
> Thought about finding a true 8000 but never did. N
> ow I'm pretty much over FTP altogether.
>
> Wayne

The difference between the Omega 8000 and 8500 is like night and day. The Omega 8500 is a flop!
November 19, 2018 04:28PM
After hearing all the good reports on the 8000 I jumped on the bandwagon and got one of the first 8500's available. I liked it so well that I sold it about two weeks later. Have always wanted to try the 8000 as many folks I respect think they are great detectors, but after having the Racers, Impact, Multi Kruzer, and Nox 800 in the arsenal, I just don't think the 8000 would be able to replace any of them. I think the 8000 will just get added to the list of "detectors I wish I had tried".
November 19, 2018 04:32PM
I bought one when they first came out with the stock coil. Did not care for it so sold it before the 11"DD came out. People say the 11"DD made it a different better machine? I never tried another one after that.
The main reason I bought it was Dave Johnson said in a interview it was the closest thing to a digital type CZ that FT made up to that point.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 04:38PM by Harold,ILL..
November 19, 2018 04:46PM
My favorite all time detector.

However, the F75 is so silky smooth quiet and cheap now it trumps it for me.
November 19, 2018 04:56PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> After hearing all the good reports on the 8000 I j
> umped on the bandwagon and got one of the first 85
> 00's available. I liked it so well that I sold it
> about two weeks later. Have always wanted to try t
> he 8000 as many folks I respect think they are gre
> at detectors, but after having the Racers, Impact,
> Multi Kruzer, and Nox 800 in the arsenal, I just d
> on't think the 8000 would be able to replace any o
> f them. I think the 8000 will just get added to th
> e list of "detectors I wish I had tried".

I presently own a Minelab CTX 3030, some Tesoro detectors, a Deus, a MXT Pro, a F752-DST, a Multi-Kruzer, and a Deeptech Smart Plus and I have owned a bunch of other detectors including a Racer and CORE but still, everytime that I sell an Omega 8000 seller's remorse sets in.

tabman
November 19, 2018 05:56PM
tabman
Every time that I sell an Omega I get seller's remorse and go out and purchase another one. This time I set a new record, I purchase another one the same day that I dropped my old one off at the Post Office.
'Tab' I think you've beaten me and about everyone else on your quick replacement policy. Same day self-service ... a new trend folks can follow.

I also had sellers remorse after letting my Omega 8000 go, but that was after thinning out an MXT Pro, MX-5, T2, F-75 and a couple other models. I did replace it with a V6 a year or two back, but it didn't fit in with the sites I was hunting and my whole outfit at the time. Plus I was doing very little urban Coin Hunting back then.

tabman
I'm particularly fond of versions 5 and 6 since they handle EMI better than the earlier versions.
The V6 Omega 8000 I had, that I acquired from Tom S., was as noisy or noisier around my house and around this little town and the bigger town in the county compared with my other models from White's, Nokta and Makro, and a Tek. T2 Classic. In the last four months I added another Omega 8000 V4 back into my Detector Outfit, used but in very clean condition. I also found a coil I now prefer for the Omega and am glad I have it around for urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting tasks.

Then just a couple of weeks later I bought another Omega 8000 V6 in like-new condition and have the same preferred coil mounted on it. Here in my Den I have two noisy Omegas. matter of fact, all 13 of my detectors suffer from EMI here at my home. The V6 Omega is a little noisier than the V4 Omega and I can reduce the Sensitivity to about the 50-60 range on the V4 to get it to stabilize, but the V6 needs a Sensitivity reduction to somewhere between 32 and 45 to calm down. Fresh batteries, same search coil, and both set on the same position on my tabe in the den.

When I have taken them afield to search the park or over to work a vacant lot where they tore down a 1930's house, I couldn't tell any difference between the V4 and V6 with regard to EMI.

tabman
At 7.8 kHz they really light up silver coins. They're easy to swing, simple to use and have great audio tones and ID. Dave Johnson knocked this one out of the park. I heard that it was one of his favorite designs. Anyone else out there a big fan of the Omega 8000?
With my bad back, neck and shoulder and other mobility issues, one of my main reasons for adding an Omega back into my arsenal is their very light weight and comfortable balance. I can hunt with them longer than any other TID model in my Outfit. And yes, they hit quite well on silver as well as other non-ferrous conductors.

After the Omega 8K was out I read several times where David Johnson really liked the Omega, and even favored it over the Fisher F5. I know I do, also.

tabman
Monte likes version 4 better because he mainly hunts out in boonies where there's not much EMI.
Not quite. The bulk of my detecting for the past thirty-five years has been "out-in-the-boonies" where I encounter a lot of ferrous debris. Abundant nails, but also so many places that are a real challenge due to other ferrous-based discards and that blasted annoying rusty tin. Tin cans, tin lids and smaller rusty shards of deteriorating tin everywhere. I have found keepers in several ghost towns I hunt and some out-of-the-way sites using an Omega 8000, but they are far from being one of my favorite Relic Hunting devices. Why? Because regardless of the search coil used, and I rely on just two coils with the smallest being the round 5" DD, the Omega's just do not provide the Quick-Response and Fast-Recovery I need when trying to use iron nail rejection.

And that gets to the reasons I didn't like the Euro-Tek Pro, F-19, and Version 5 or Version 6 Omega 8000. They have a very unfunctional Discriminate circuitry compared with the FTP's T2 or Omega 8K V4. All of these models have a Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break point of '40.' The T2 will reject common iron nails with a Disc. setting of about '21' and the Omega 8000 V4 has a nail reject setting of '17.' That provides a nail reject setting that is more variable in the iron range. With the Euro-Tek Pro (I had 2), the F-19 (I've owned 3), the Omega 8000 V5 (I had 1) and the Omega V6 (I currently own 1), to reject the same three sample nails they require a Disc. setting of '37' to '39' and that allows far less variable adjustment than the V4 Omega or the T2.

So the reason liked the Version 4 over the 5 and 6 Versions was simply due to them having a more variable Discrimination. It wasn't due to EMI, and using them afield I see very little difference in performance. I guess you could say I like them all, mainly for urban Coin Hunting applications because I have several other units in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit than can provide me with exceptional relic Hunting performance in really challenging iron debris sites. I might 'prefer' the Version 4 due to the Discrimination performance, but for Coin Hunting I really like to grab two of my 9 different models and one of those is my Omega 8000.

Relic Hunting I like to keep my Disc. level below iron nail rejection to listen for those masking pieces of junk and then work my coil around iron trash. Coin Hunting, I usually increase my Discriminate to just reject iron nails or, in the case of the Omega's, I might run it no higher than the ferrous break-point. Usually, however, I set the V4 at a Disc. of '17' to '20' and the V6 I run the Disc. at '35' to '37'.

tabman
Like me, Monte knows how well an 8-inch 'concentric' search coil pairs up with an Omega. Years ago people kept posting about how much smoother the Gamma ran compared to the Omega. I took the stock 8-inch concentric search coil off of the Gamma and replaced the Omega's 11-inch DD search coil with it and it also ran smoother. In my mild soil, the Omega has no trouble hitting a 7+ inch silver dime. It hits it hard with a good ID. I just love the audio tones!
I have never liked the 11" BiAxial coils on any detector never liked it on the Omega. The stock elliptical Concentric coil is 'OK' but I still liked the round, open-frame 8" Concentric I snagged off of a Delta. Today, however, I didn't buy an 8" when I got my Omega 8000, but instead traded for a open-frame 7" Concentric which I like better than the 8". The 8" coils, or all those I have had, used a thinner-size coil cable. The 7" Concentric has a thicker-size coil cable and I like the more durable look of the cable, plus it might also help deal with EMI better than the thinner coil cable.

I mown 13 detectors, comprised of 9 different models. The extra 4 units are simply duplicates since I have 2 Nokta CoRe, 2 Nokta Relic, 2 Tesoro Bandido II microMAX and 2 Teknetics Omega's (the V4 and v6). I also have the V4 Omega that I use as a 'loaner unit' for friends and family, or loan to a property owner when necessary to get permission to hunt their land. And one thing I found long ago was that many people newer to the hobby7 like them due to their simplicity, light weight and comfortable balance, and the simple fact they work pretty well. When I have done presentations at club meetings or do a day-long metal detecting seminar, the Omega seems to be one of the detectors people ask about the most. I used to have one or two around to sell to the inquisitive beginner or anyone who wants a nice, handy Coin Shooter.

Matter of fact, I have located two or three brand new, in-the-box Omega's and might break out my credit card today and buy them all from the Dealer.hot smiley

I hope you have huntable weather through the long holiday weekend to get out and have fun. It looks like today and tomorrow might be the end of huntable weather around here so I am headed out now. At 10:30 we made it to 28° from a low of 17° and it might be bearable in a couple of hours.

Omega is in my vehicle and ready to hunt, too.

Monte
November 19, 2018 06:21PM
After reading one of Monte's post years ago, I never run my Omega 8000 any higher than 70 on the sensitivity because any higher is just adding 'gain' and makes the EMI issues worse. Heck even at a sensitivity setting of 60 there is little loss of depth on coin size targets. I'm only a couple of hours away from the mail carrier delivering my Omega 8000 then everything will be OK again. lol

tabman
November 19, 2018 06:56PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I bought one when they first came out with the sto
> ck coil. Did not care for it so sold it before the
> 11"DD came out. People say the 11"DD made it a dif
> ferent better machine? I never tried another one a
> fter that.
> The main reason I bought it was Dave Johnson said
> in a interview it was the closest thing to a digit
> al type CZ that FT made up to that point.

Mine came with the 11" DD.

I agree with Tom, yes it's a decent detector, but everything it can do the Multi Kruzer can do, and better.

Not sure why Dave J. was saying it was close to a digital CZ? A CZ-70 IS a digital CZ, and it's nothing like the Omega 8000.
November 19, 2018 07:16PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

>
> I agree with Tom, yes it's a decent detector, but
> everything it can do the Multi Kruzer can do, and
> better.
>
> Not sure why Dave J. was saying it was close to a
> digital CZ? A CZ-70 IS a digital CZ, and it's not
> hing like the Omega 8000.

Probably the next detector that I sell will be the Multi Kruzer because I'm just not jelling with it at all. It's not bad but I like other detectors better. If anyone is looking for a like new Multi Kruzer with plenty of warranty left let me know.

tabman
November 19, 2018 07:29PM
The CZ70 is not a true digital detector. It is more of a Digital Analog like the Whites MXT or the old Teknetics 9000.
He said it was the closest Detector 'FT' made to a Digital type CZ. It does have similar Modulated Audio. Too bad it was not adjustable like on a CZ though as almost too soft for My ears.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2018 07:43PM by Harold,ILL..
November 19, 2018 08:02PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> The CZ70 is not a true digital detector. It is mor
> e of a Digital Analog like the Whites MXT or the o
> ld Teknetics 9000.
> He said it was the closest Detector 'FT' made to a
> Digital type CZ. It does have similar Modulated Au
> dio. Too bad it was not adjustable like on a CZ th
> ough as almost too soft for My ears.

The modulated audio on version 4 was "too soft for my ears" as well unless I turned the sensitivity way up and doing so would make the EMI worse. I don't have that problem with versions 5 and 6, the audio modulation is perfect even at lower sensitivity settings.

tabman
November 19, 2018 09:08PM
We are going to have to go to cracker barrel after we hunt so i can make fun of you for being weird.
November 19, 2018 09:38PM
Welgund Wrote:
> We are going to have to go to cracker barrel after we hunt so i can make fun of you for being weird.

Now you did it, punking cracker barrel....that'll go over like a fart in church eye rolling smiley
November 19, 2018 11:42PM
For your penance say three hell no! drinking smiley