Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

hoard of gold coins from nevada

Posted by diggers 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
hoard of gold coins from nevada
December 21, 2018 01:43PM
[www.nevadaappeal.com]

The collection consists of 211 American, Chinese, Annamese and Japanese coins and four American trade tokens. Most of the coins were found in three different structures, with all the gold being found in one house. The house had a cellar, common in homes of that era. When the archaeologist searched the cellar, he discovered a jar hidden under the floor. The jar contained 112 U.S. gold pieces that were likely the savings of someone who had passed away, never revealing his secret.

The gold coins ranged in age from 1874 to 1910. This indicates the owner must have died after 1910. There were 21 five-dollar gold pieces, 11 10-dollar gold pieces and 80 20-dollar gold pieces. The face value of the gold coins was $1,865. In today's market, the collection could be worth in excess of $200,000.

Most of the gold coins were minted in San Francisco. A few were minted in Philadelphia and there was one 1892 5-dollar gold piece that was minted in Carson City. The largest number of coins show dates between 1897 and 1910. Nearly 90 Chinese and other coins found in the other two structures on the site indicated they may have been businesses catering to the Asians such as gaming establishments. There were many Chinese "cash" coins with square holes that were often used as gaming tokens. Many of the Chinese cash coins are old and can be dated from 1662 to 1908.

There were about 50 U.S. pennies, nickels, dimes and one 1889-O silver dollar found on site. There was one trade token from San Francisco, one from the Owl Bar in Lovelock, one from the Crystal Saloon in Sparks and one from the Commercial Hotel in Elko. You can make arrangements to see this amazing collection by contacting the Nevada State Museum.
Re: hoard of gold coins from nevada
December 21, 2018 01:54PM
Interesting---thanks.
December 21, 2018 02:12PM
HOLY COW!!!

Fascinating!

Thanks, diggers, for the link to the story!

Steve
December 21, 2018 02:46PM
Now...... if that was my house...... there would be some serious remodeling going on with those walls and floor lol.
December 21, 2018 03:15PM
The thought this brings to mind, is how much is going to landfills today. old abandoned homes are demolished and hauled to the landfill. No telling how many under-floor and between the wall caches are being missed.
December 22, 2018 12:15AM
I've been through Lovelock many a time, that's pretty neat, although to be honest, I'd much rather a private citizen had found it then it collecting dust in a box in the basement of a museum.
December 22, 2018 02:05AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been through Lovelock many a time, that's pre
> tty neat, although to be honest, I'd much rather a
> private citizen had found it then it collecting du
> st in a box in the basement of a museum.

Yeah I wish that private citizen was mesmiling smiley
December 22, 2018 04:15AM
u2robert Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've been through Lovelock many a time, that's p
> re
> > tty neat, although to be honest, I'd much rather
> a
> > private citizen had found it then it collecting
> du
> > st in a box in the basement of a museum.
>
>
>
> Yeah I wish that private citizen was mesmiling smiley

You and me both buddy smileys with beer
December 22, 2018 04:31AM
Amazing story.

Now if that was me, you’d never know it. ; )

Thanks for sharing!
December 22, 2018 09:50AM
and a reminder that 1000s more like this are still waiting to be found under the floor in america and europe in abandoned houses ..guys go hunting for forest fenns stash but its easier to find one under the floor i guess.. from the days before easy access banks and no transport to get to a bank except a horse ..
December 22, 2018 01:01PM
Exactly.
December 22, 2018 01:04PM
All kind of stories about where one might bury money. Jars in the back yard...... trees with nails in a branch with a plumb being used...... corner fence posts.
December 22, 2018 11:06PM
Aaron Wrote:
> Amazing story.
>
> Now if that was me, you’d never know it. ; )
>
> Thanks for sharing!

Roger That
December 25, 2018 04:15PM
Imagine more than one stash unfound as people didn't trust banks in days gone by....