Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any Fisher CZ Swingers Out There?

Posted by tabman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any Fisher CZ Swingers Out There?
December 21, 2018 03:11PM
I just purchased a CZ-5 and it looks like it just came right of the box new (no kidding) except for a cracked discrimination knob which was easily fixed with some glue and it also had a broken coil bolt which I replaced with a Tesoro one. Apparently, someone bought it and broke it when they first got it and never used it again, because it wouldn't work. My heart sank when I first turned the discrimination knob and just spun around without changing the discrimination settings. I was one happy camper when I realized what was happening and it was an easy fix! First time out with it I found a deep Barber Dime in a seriously heavily pounded park.

The soil that I detect in very mild, so what would be your preferred settings for that type soil?

The only thing that I dislike about the CZ is having to hip or chest mount it. I'm looking for a good pouch to put it in to protect it from getting banged around. Any suggestions are welcome.

tabman
Re: Any Fisher CZ Swingers Out There?
December 21, 2018 03:15PM
Sens = 5
Disc = 0
Vol = 3
G.B. = 10 (If in neutral ground)
'Normal' Mode
December 21, 2018 03:35PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sens = 5
> Disc = 0
> Vol = 3
> G.B. = 10 (If in neutral ground)
> 'Normal' Mode

THANKS! Those settings are close to what I was using except my ground isn't all that neutral. I'm getting a little feedback when I raise the search coil with a G.B. setting of '6'. I'm I better off using a spot on G.B. on the CZ rather than being a little negative? I always use a little negative G.B. on my Tesoro detectors to get better depth.

tabman
December 21, 2018 04:05PM
I always start off at 10 and turn clockwise until it quiets down. Everything else the same as Tom said.
December 21, 2018 04:35PM
Having used every CZ model ever made(some more than once) I like to run the sens. as high as I can even if I get some falses now and then ..all depends on your location..

Tom sure knows CZ's so he offers good advice.

Be sure to visit Mikes CZ page(bible) for CZ users.

Therover a forum member also good for advice as longtime user.
The carry bag for the older Minelab Sov's would work well as a carry bag if you can find one...

Replacement knobs can be had from company but new ones are different design...

Waiting for Harolds post as in limbo but not gone (yet)
December 21, 2018 05:33PM
Been looking for one of those and/or a 1266-X despite they 'liking iron' and being a tad blind to 'low conductive's' @ 5"-6"

Majority of stuff seen / offered thus far had 'yellowish' colored coils and 'shaky bits' inside the control boxes!!!!???

But, what a lovely detector to handle!

I'll keep lookin!'
December 21, 2018 05:40PM
I run Sens. as High as can without falsing and always 0 Disc. Volume just under 5 close to 4 to kick in the Modulation. As for GB I use to go slightly positive but lately more neutral. As far as weight I could always swing a CZ with 8" Coil No problem. But the 10.5" is a different story. It's weird as most CZ5s I could run Sens. to at least 7 without falsing but CZ-3D's no more than 5?
Must have different parameters as just as deep at lower setting.
Tabman, was this the one on eBay? As I could tell it was clean.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 10:51PM by Harold,ILL..
December 21, 2018 05:41PM
Dan, on another forum you said the CZ7a was one of the deepest CZ made. I was the one that wanted to see if it could be made a CZ 7aPro, and it can't . But I posted that it would air test a nickel at about 12" and I don't think anyone belived me. I can't post pic. for some reason or I would show it. I just ordered 24 rechargeable batterys and going to put it to work. I only have the 5" and 8" coils but will be looking for the 10" coil.
December 21, 2018 06:15PM
The CZ70 was my first deep silver seeker! Loves deep silver, gold and unfortunately nails as well....lots of nails as I recall - lol
December 21, 2018 06:17PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Tabman, was this the one on eBay? As I could tell
> it was clean.

Yep, and it's a whole lot cleaner than the pictures showed on eBay. It had some type of white power dust on it that wiped right off. After looking at the pictures, I jumped the gun and made a fairly decent offer before noticing, "not working or for parts only". Lucky me! This sucker will high tone 5 to 6 inches over a 5 to 6 inch buried clad dime in my coin garden. It handles EMI like a champ.

tabman
December 21, 2018 08:11PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I run Sens. as High as can without falsing and alw
> ays 0 Disc. Volume just under 5 close to 4 to kick
> in the Modulation. As for GB I us to go slightly p
> ositive but lately more neutral. As far as weight
> I could always swing a CZ with 8" Coil No problem.
> But the 10.5" is a different story. It's weird as
> most CZ5s I could run Sens. to at least 7 without
> falsing but CZ-3D's no more than 5?
> Must have different parameters as just as deep at
> lower setting.
> Tabman, was this the one on eBay? As I could tell
> it was clean.

I know right the 10 1/2 inch coils like swinging a safe at the end of the shaft and the little differance in depth? I go with the 8" coil. My I ask why 0 disc. and not 1 to disc. out the iron?
December 21, 2018 09:00PM
If you Disc out iron...… you will have... what is called: "ghost signals". Let's say a deep nail ID's as 'high-tone' 10% of the time. ((( This is to say: Whilst sweeping the coil.... 1 out of 10..... nails will report as a high-tone ))). You hear this high-tone...… lock up your brakes...… and 'chase/hunt' for this high-tone. It no longer exists 90% of the time. It is reporting iron-tone/nail 90% of the time. IF you have iron Disc'd out..... you will not even know that you are continuously sweeping over a nail...… searching for this high-tone.... that you can no longer find. IF you have the iron-tone NOT Disc'd out...…………………. the moment that you hear a high-tone... and lock up your brakes..... and start sweeping where you heard this high-tone...…… and viola! It is now (mostly) reporting as a low-tone/iron-tone...…..and...…… because you do not have the low-tone Disc'd out….. you instantly hear this (multiply repeated) low-tone...…………….. with an occasional high-tone. Your efficiency/intelligence is increased.
Soooooo……. do not Disc out iron.
December 21, 2018 09:27PM
Makes a lot of sense to me, god knows I've dug some deep nails. Thanks for the info Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2018 09:44PM by u2robert.
December 21, 2018 09:40PM
4 basic rules for any CZ user:

1) Make sure the unit is ground balanced. Pin point method is good, bobbing method better.

2) Sweep fairly slowly and make sure the coil is level.

3) Don't run the sensitivity too high in most cases. You will be surprised how deep CZ's will go with the sensitivity in the 3-4 range ( this is in discriminate mode). As you continue to increase sensitivity, depth is not gained as much as overall sensitivity to targets (at the risk of increased falsing). Again, in discriminate mode.

4) When in discriminate mode, ALWAYS run at setting 0. I know it may seem counter productive, but it is imperative to do so. High tone wrapping will kill you if you run in any other mode and you WILL dig deep rusty nails and iron fragments. Been there, done that !

There are other tricks of the trade such as learning how to use the VCO pin point to determine good round targets versus elongated ones, using modulation, being able to know how deep silver and coins sound via the smooth high tone versus the harsh high tone (only comes with steady use of a CZ).

If you really want to learn a CZ, put all the other units away and use one for 3-6 months straight. During that time frame, the light bulb will go off as well as your ears getting trained.

Lastly...you can use the meter/ID gauge but at some point you won't !!! In my opinion, the CZ is one heck of a pure tone ID hunter. I haven't looked at my meter in decades.
December 21, 2018 09:55PM
I have noticed during air tests that a setting of 6-7 that the depth does not increase by turning the sensitivity up past that. What about Ground balancing in Neutral soil I been keeping GB at the 10 marker in my neutral soil here in central Florida, I do GB at the ocean in wet sand?
December 22, 2018 12:18AM
Robert,

Sometimes the unit won't GB due to neutral soil. Tom D talks about that. Not sure what the best setting would be for your soil conditions, but if you are not getting a lot of false signals on a constant basis at 10, then you should be fine. One of the things a CZ will do if the GB is way off or if soil conditions change a lot as you are hunting, is start to false a lot. At least that is what I have found on the CZ6a's I have (as well as my CZ20). That is a signal to re-ground balance.

I think Tom had mentioned in a post that the default setting would be fine (which is 5) if you cannot ground balance due to neutral soil/sand.
December 22, 2018 02:08AM
I have been using the 5 GB setting an just recently switched to the 10 setting I believe I read somewhere if you couldn't GB because of neutral ground use the 10 GB setting?
December 22, 2018 01:05PM
I read somewhere that most 8-inch search coils for CZ detectors are good and hardly ever go out of tune, however not the same can be said about 5-inch CZ search coils. Any truth to that?

tabman
December 22, 2018 01:16PM
5" CZ coils do not go out-of-tune. It is just that..... they have a larger variance in manufacturing impedance; hence, can be a bit 'off'...…. as far as ID goes. If you get a batch of 5" coils and compare their ID.... to a batch of 8" coils; you will see a larger variance with the 5" coils.
December 22, 2018 01:48PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> 5" CZ coils do not go out-of-tune. It is just that
> ..... they have a larger variance in manufacturing
> impedance; hence, can be a bit 'off'...…. as far a
> s ID goes. If you get a batch of 5" coils and comp
> are their ID.... to a batch of 8" coils; you will
> see a larger variance with the 5" coils.

Thanks! That's probably what they meant, I just didn't understand. Which brings up another question, do some CZ search coils of the same size get more depth than others do? In other words, could you have what you think is a 'hot' CZ control box, but in reality it's a 'hot' search coil or maybe a combination of both?

tabman
December 22, 2018 03:50PM
I just put a NOS 8" Coil on My CZ-3D as coil cable tore on My original coil and depth/air test is exactly the same.
I think it's the unit box alone that is either hot or not.
December 22, 2018 05:32PM
Many think the CZ model is a nail grabber but with time and use you can eliminate many of the nails but a real deep one can fool anyone...Again read Mikes CZ page as any tips and after a while you will not dig many nails. Am sure we all have our way to use this unit but time in the field and experimentation its surely coil for coil one of the deepest units..
December 22, 2018 06:18PM
Old coins are my bag. I have dug countless numbers of smaller iron with my CZ3d from the thought of " what if? ". After getting the center of the coil directly over the target by pinpointing, then crossing sweeps while circling the target,.... if you get several iron grunts while doing this, 99.9 % of the time it is iron. I'm a sucker for these until I get tired of digging and convince myself in reality, It IS iron.

Many times there's no choice. I think therover or DanPa stated this; deep small nails sometimes high tone. Very true, and they have a soft wisp of a high tone ALL the way around.....when you dig them they are deep....around here about 9 or 10 inches.
One reason I fall for this has to do with the area I'm searching, such as an historic home area....What If.?....

I have removed my cz from the shaft and put a 2" canvas belt through it, wearing it bandoleer style across chest....a little nose heavy with the 10.5" coil. On the belt at the waist it interferes with my swing when I change arms. Putting it in the center gets in the way of my ever growing belly when I bend to retrieve target. So bandoleer style is the way to go for me.
Around here in SE PA the cz's work very well in this soil. Keep it out of the heavy iron and trash though...not a good separator. I also agree with the guys above, pump to GB, 0 disc, volume to suit, sens on mine maxes at around 5 ( any higher gets no deeper).
December 22, 2018 06:57PM
Hey Harold, is that NOS coil one of the new FTP ones?

Aaron
December 22, 2018 07:27PM
Nope it was a Los banos coil with the older style cable.
But My CZ-3D is a FT Model but it's a rare hot one.
December 22, 2018 08:09PM
I agree on the nails mine loved deep ones.

Cal_cobra Wrote:
> The CZ70 was my first deep silver seeker! Loves d
> eep silver, gold and unfortunately nails as well..
> ..lots of nails as I recall - lol
December 22, 2018 09:45PM
Ozzie....great point on the 'what if' scenarios.

If I am in an area that is old and I know older coins have been plucked out of the ground, the smaller deeper high tone hits that will also low tone on occasion have to be dug. I have dug many many deep mercury dimes that sound like that...along with many many small rusty bits of nails too !

One just never knows until the target is dug out of the ground.
December 23, 2018 02:19AM
Here is a good nail tip...if you dig a plug on a deep one and the pinpoint seems to move its a darn rusty nail on the edge of the plug...can really cut down on nails dug...
December 23, 2018 03:44AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> The CZ70 was my first deep silver seeker! Loves d
> eep silver, gold and unfortunately nails as well..
> ..lots of nails as I recall - lol

Not sure of the difference between the CZ5 (for the OP's question) and the CZ70, and the CZ6, but the issue Cal-Cobra speaks of, was an issue on the CZ6 :

Even though they were hands-down the DEEPEST thing going at the time, yet , as Cal-Cobra says, they tended to give false positives on deep bent nails. Ie.: the disc. started to wain beyond 7".

There were "tricks" that a person could supposedly do to double check for suspected nails. But ... nagging doubts would send you digging a bunch "just to be sure".
December 23, 2018 04:12AM
I have never seen a CZ coil that was 'hot'...…….. or 'cold'. FRL & FTP...…. the coils are all extremely consistent.