Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Which is better---and why??

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Which is better---and why??
May 16, 2011 03:06AM
Dis-regarding the advertising "hype"-------Which is the best (Minelab Explorer) coil---the old FBS 1050--or the new 11" Pro?--------Why??--------I got my own ideas but wanted to see what others feel about these two coils.------I know one thing, that old 1050 was "a tough act to follow"-----(at least in its day)---maybe still??----------Del

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 03:10AM by D&P-OR.
I like the 1050 coil myself Del
May 16, 2011 03:27AM
not that the Pro coil is a slouch but the 1050 I had on my Explorer XS seemed like the perfect match for the FBS technology.....

I have used Pro coil's and they work great but they are different to me in some way's

Why did I like the older 1050? Seemed like better overall performance ......great depth ....Smooth running .....BETTER AUDIO on deeper target's ....

Now here is something I have noticed and it may just be all in my mind but a coil that has a little breathing room so to speak seems like it performs better audible wise ....And when I say breathing room I am talking about the coil not being encapsulated in epoxy like some manufacturer's do.....I have always liked the foam insert instead of the epoxy route....... Seems like the wire when it can breathe is more how can I say resonant to the in ground target's...

All speculation on the design aspect but I like the bouyant coil's better....

Keith
Keith......Re: Which is better---and why??
May 16, 2011 03:34AM
The electronic breathing theory appeals to my sense of logic (limitedsmiling smiley)........ for reasons to lengthy to type here. Tom D..........your opinion?
Re: Which is better---and why??
May 16, 2011 12:23PM
Why fix what aint broke comes to mind, but then again acc. coils do produce revenue and in many instances do perform better in ones neck of the woods. Always thought the 1050 was a perfect match and the 11 never got me any deeper and well just wasn't as smooth running in my opinion. Of course yours may differ..Electronic breathing is a new one on me but then again Keith is a bright articulate guy and respect his opinions and look forward to more input as one can never learn enough about this hobby and its tools of the trade..
May 16, 2011 10:41PM
Well, I might as well continue with my tendancy at times to be the counter-culture voice. LOL!! The way I look at the 1050 is similar to the the way I look at the original Coinsearch coils for the Sovereign. They were both THE original designs and hard to beat. In my experience both give a very nice relative (to their successors) easy to hear target response. Probably a lot of you have experience with the 1050, the slimline, and now the Pro coil. The slimline had a better feel (than the 1050) because of the slightly reduced weight but it was a net inferior overall compared to the 1050 IMO. Well, I guess I should qualify that by saying at least with the three (or more) of them each that I had. There was reason back in the day to suspect that all slimlines were not created equal and given the love/hate opinions that were prevelent, it's possible that the ones I had weren't totally up to snuff......maybe. To cut to the chase on the 1050, I think one only needs to be aware of what has happened with the used price of a 1050 between when Minelab announced its discontinuence (and everyone panicked, remember?) and now that the Pro coil has had time to show what it can do. The 1050's went from "gold" status to basically "just another used and somewhat outdated coil". You can find them for one quarter to one third of the cost that they fetched early on after they were discontinued and folks were struggling to feel the love for the slimlines. Even though the CS and 1050 were a factor in providing great target audio responses for their respective detectors at the time, the current Sov slimline and the FBS Pro provide slightly better overall depth and that is awfully hard to ignore today as one makes a personal choice of coils. I'll take the Pro over the 1050 strictly based on comparitive performance let alone the better weight and balance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 02:14AM by BuckeyeBrad.
May 17, 2011 02:50AM
"Breathe" to me means: quicker to oxidize......corrosion (of the windings).

As far as electronic EM energy propagation...........no difference.
Tom......Re: Which is better---and why??
May 17, 2011 03:05AM
Would could there be a 'EM' reflective difference in foam vs epoxy?? Thus a difference in performance.
Re: Tom......Re: Which is better---and why??
May 17, 2011 01:56PM
Negligible, if any at all. I would guess absolutely no difference.
Yes It was all speculation on my part
May 17, 2011 10:31PM
but I some time's notice little nuances to thing's and why it is hardly noticeable I have picked up on a certain sound on the deeper target's with the open design vs the same epoxied design on certain models and one was the Minelab's for sure....

that 8 inch coin search coil on the sovereign had the sweetest sound on deep high conductor's that the later coils would not match when the target was at extreme depth...
The early musky with the 8 inch super search would talk to you on the deepies in a way the slimline's would not....they were deep but they behaved different ....

probably all in my head?

Should I tell ya about putting Hot Sauce on the bottom of the coil for added depth?????? Na I better not...............

Keith
Keith........Re: Which is better---and why??
May 17, 2011 11:03PM
I don't think it is 'all in your head'. I put a great deal of stock in 'anecdotal' observations. In fact, if one reads about detector 'issues' it is almost always that non-scientific anecdotal observation that brings the issues to the light of day. Besides...scientific observation/anecdotal observation are really the same thing in many cases....just how one wishes to apply the terminology. Scientists like to dismiss anecdotal evidence...........but they use it alsosmiling smiley
May 18, 2011 01:34AM
Brad-----I agree with you about perhaps not all of those slimlines (somehow) were not created equal.---The wife & I had 3 or 4 of them on our Explorers before we gave up on them & I just never was all that impressed with them.-----I guess they were "kinda" ok but the ones we had seemed to be more "jittery" than the earlier coils (especially in wet grass).----------Keith----Tell us ALL ABOUT the hot sauce!!! grin---------Should I tell about "charging the ground"?---Nah, better not--showing my age! laf-----------Del

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2011 01:40AM by D&P-OR.
Keith.....Re: Which is better---and why??
May 18, 2011 01:57AM
Sometimes I get hungry enough out detecting that I very well might take a bite out of my coil if it had hot sauce on it.....Nice & Spicy......
Re: Keith.....Re: Which is better---and why??
May 18, 2011 02:21AM
What you are describing is most probably real; yet, can be attributed to coil-configuration 'capacitance'. (This can be found in the coil wire also).
Re: Yes It was all speculation on my part
May 18, 2011 02:55AM
It's not in your head Keith. I've heard it too.