Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Red Heat XD-17

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Red Heat XD-17
May 17, 2011 01:44AM
My new toy arrived today. It was raining so I only was able to go out for about 10 minutes.

Tom in SC

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Red Heat XD-17
May 17, 2011 02:04AM
Never heard of that machine before

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 17, 2011 03:02AM
Where is it made?
May 17, 2011 04:32AM
Ah, THAT'S the machine you were talking about!! It must be something special. Keep us updated on how you do with it!

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
TManly......Re: Red Heat XD-17
May 17, 2011 04:52AM
I have done some reading in the past on the Red Heat machines. Would be real interested in your results/video, and your reasons for purchasing one. Thanks.
May 17, 2011 04:53AM
Never heard of it either...looks well made though.
May 17, 2011 04:55AM
Sorry to re-post but WoW! I've been watching demos on youtube! Very Impressive indeed! Hope this link works & y'all can see for yourself!
[youtu.be]

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
May 17, 2011 11:00AM
I wish they would do the tests with the objects seperated by an inch or more and off to the sides or to the back. Then what are the results?
May 17, 2011 11:42AM
I copied this from another location:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Red Heat Metal Detector- made by the world famous technician Vic Fiveash. Every detector was custom built to perfection by him. Red Heat first started manufacturing metal detectors over 20 years ago in Great Britain. Their first detectors were designed to go thru the Thames foreshore area. This site was not for newcomers, only the most experienced detectorist would even attempt it because of the thousands of years of trash, coke, and iron. When the Red Heat detector functioned so well in such contamination they knew these machines were special. Very Rare Metal Detector and extremely hard to come by. One of the best see thru iron machines ever made. Vic Fiveash passed away in 2007.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom in SC
May 17, 2011 04:34PM
Here is some info on the unit:

Frequency: 17 khz
Coil size: 9 1/2 inch DD
Batteries: 8 Penlights
Operation time: 20-25 hours
Weight with batteries: 2 pounds and 13 ounces
Length fully open: 54 inches
Length closed: 28 inches

Tom in SC
May 17, 2011 07:46PM
Max air-test on a dime??????????? (Would be good to start with a base-reference).
May 17, 2011 07:51PM
I am sorry to hear Vic passed...........I am wondering who holds the patents, if any, on his technology.........it would be a shame to see this iron see-through technology fade into obscurity.
I used to follow the Red Heat a few year's back
May 17, 2011 10:16PM
and alway's wanted to try one....

then the designer passed away and since it was a 1 man operation that sort of deflated my hope's....

he had a few different model's...And I believe there is even a video of him on you tube demonstrating one maybe the XD-17 the 17 meaning 17Khz....

what it had going for it in what i could find was it was a basic analog type circuit but had a wide iron disc range....not really a park hunter for coin's but a real relic recovery machine...

it would take quite alot to disc a nail from a solid beep to a spit pop sound so it could really be fine tuned for just rejecting the troublesome iron.....

that's all a dedicated hunter would want is just to reject nails when looking for artifact's......it was a niche machine for sure...Ought to be awesome in a nail infested site once you got it set for condition's...

Sad the fella passed away it was unexpected as I understand

Not sure where you could get one worked on now?

Would still like to play with one some day...heck there's quite a few European machine's I would like to try out....The sites have some of the worst iron in the wold over there some habitation sites are 1,000's of years old sort of makes our 200-300 year old sites seem like child play.....

congrats on getting one....Hope it works for year's on out for ya...

ok I just found his video he made [www.youtube.com]

Keith
Re: I used to follow the Red Heat a few year's back
May 18, 2011 12:06AM
Thanks Keith. I am going to baby it and try to get it to last as long as I can. I can tell already that I have a lot to learn and it is going to be my favorite relic machine. Just playing today with the disc and I hit a good stong signal in my back yard. ( we are still having rain showers) At 18" I found a melted hunk of lead. It was flat and about as thick as a coin and the size of a silver dollar. I plan to make a video soon, but kinda want to learn the machine first so I do not look so stupid.

Tom in SC
May 19, 2011 05:16PM
I hunted with Vic on a few occasions and he was a top guy and I had several of his machines over the years though not the XD17.

The iron see through capabilities are an old trick, and do remember, Vic was also a top magician before turning to detectors.

He was also a friend of Troy Galloway of Troy custom detectors and wanted Troy to be partners with him in the early days of Red Heat.
May 20, 2011 12:23PM
As soon as my Gold coin get to me, I will make a video of the air test on the XD-17. If anyone knows any info on the controls for this unit please contact me. The manual is not very informative as far as the controls.
It just tells you how to setup the unit for a quick start and go. A lot of the switches and push buttons are not even covered in the manual. It has a Boost feature with seperate sensitivity and boost controls.
Took it to a local park yesterday , that I have searched many many times. Found a lot of copper, buttons, and one ring. I spent about 1 hour on the park. It does hit hard on very small items. I think this is because of
the 17KHZ freq. I had one target that I did not recover after digging 14" , as I figured it was just a large item.

Thanks
Tom in SC
May 20, 2011 01:47PM
Tom..........it was just a rusted lid still installed on a old Ball/Mason jar. Not to worry.
May 20, 2011 05:36PM
Awwwwwwwwww. OK, I will go back..........
May 24, 2011 10:49PM
First, Tom I went back to the signal that I stopped digging on. It was a large blob of melted lead , flat and about 4" across.

I did an air Test today with the following results:
Setup
Disc 0
Sens 100%
boost 100%
boost Sens 100%
9.5" coil

clad dime 11"
nickel 12"
penny 12"
clad quarter 13"
kennedy half 14"
.8 gram gold 8"

I will be doing more test and I have found someone who has the same unit and I am waiting on some info on
the unit. He is a gold hunter here in the south east and I have to wait on him to come in each day to respond.

Tom in SC
May 25, 2011 04:21AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom..........it was just a rusted lid still
> installed on a old Ball/Mason jar. Not to worry.

I was in a metal detecting hunt (contest) years ago. Back then it was just TR detectors with no discriminators. I came with another
guy and we arrived late. As in 2 minutes before it started.
We didn't get to hear the rules/what they buried/etc. So the hunt started. Like everyone else I was finding coins. Then got a signal
that was really loud. I went over it and said to myself 'way to big to be a coin... time is money... move on' so I moved on. It couldn't
have been 2 minutes later a guy was yelling and jumping up and down right where I went over that big signal. He found a mason
jar full of old coins with a $5 gold piece (in a holder) at the top of the jar of coins. Needless to say we didn't hear 'there is a mason jar
full of old coins and a $5 gold piece buried out there' when they went over the rules and stuff.

<smacks self in head>
May 25, 2011 01:08PM
And I wonder today...........how many 'suspected' soda-cans are passed over. Sure...........to find a cache is quite rare, but there are many, many caches buried in the real world.
January 18, 2012 06:11AM
Anybody know anything about the Red Heat Mk 2 model that was made? I got one coming.