Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

“Monte's my hero kinda thread”

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: “Monte's my hero kinda thread”
February 17, 2019 02:33AM
On second thought CD - who cares.

for the 9 years I have been on this forum, using my real name, I have enjoyed the thoughtful contributions of members old and new.

From time to time, a tempest erupts - stirred up by restless folks. Most of them hide behind “Forum names” and I guess that makes them more willing to let their deep feelings out.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
February 17, 2019 04:08AM
By the way, if post Civil War ain’t old enough for some folks, how about this...200,000 - 300,000 year old stone tools from Homo Erectus.

got a pile of them at home - left a wheelbarrow full behind when we left Saudi Arabia. Lots from the site described in this article.

[journals.plos.org]

Rick Kempf
February 17, 2019 12:26PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CD.....?????
>
> So who are you.

Who am I? I am a person of Faith, I am a husband, I am a proud grandfather, I am a metal detectorist, I am a bass fisherman and outdoors man, and I like to bump heads about detectors with others. You want me to put my business out there aint happening for the fine folks on here to start throwing insults at it too. As far as who I am I am the guy who you dont want to detect behind!!!
February 17, 2019 01:28PM
Ok time for some humor.

Let’s make a deal.

Behind door #1 we have Monte a gent who obviously likes to detect and has been for a long time.

Behind door #2 we have Rick who strives to be a forum moderator and for whatever reason thinks a person should use their real name. Like by doing is going to make a person’s post more believable or true. Evidently Rick don’t watch fake news. These folks (journalists and reporters) give their real names yet can’t tell the whole truth.

Behind door number # 3 we have Calabash digger. A younger gent who likes to detect too. And who does videos and gives his 2 cents worth.

So which door do I choose?

I sure don’t want to pick the door that’s got the say the mule with a buggy full of carrots do I?

So it’s down to door # 1 or # 3.

I like both so which door did I choose?

Stay tuned to find out which door Sharpshooter chose in the next episode of Let’s Make a Deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 01:29PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 17, 2019 01:29PM
Lol I have watch some of your hunt videos and seen your coil discipline and how you swing. I would hunt behind you and feel confident in finding stuff you missed.
February 17, 2019 01:46PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Ok time for some humor.
>
> Let’s make a deal.
>
> Behind door #1 we have Monte a gent who obviously
> likes to detect and has been for a long time.
>
> Behind door #2 we have Rick who strives to be a fo
> rum moderator and for whatever reason thinks a per
> son should use their real name. Like by doing is
> going to make a person’s post more believable or t
> rue. Evidently Rick don’t watch fake news. These
> folks (journalists and reporters) give their real
> names yet can’t tell the whole truth.
>
> Behind door number # 3 we have Calabash digger. A
> younger gent who likes to detect too. And who doe
> s videos and gives his 2 cents worth.
>
> So which door do I choose?
>
> I sure don’t want to pick the door that’s got the
> say the mule with a buggy full of carrots do I?
>
> So it’s down to door # 1 or # 3.
>
> I like both so which door did I choose?
>
> Stay tuned to find out which door Sharpshooter cho
> se in the next episode of Let’s Make a Deal.

I choose door #1 followed by door #2. Do I get a prize.
February 17, 2019 01:52PM
You forgot what is in the box.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2019 02:41PM by goodmore.
February 17, 2019 01:55PM
Hmm, Monte must be shaking his head reading this thread and wouldn't be surprised if he never responded on this forum again. Really went off topic.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 17, 2019 02:39PM
The entire thread was designed for one purpose. To acknowledge Monte's contribution to the hobby and to say thank you for it. As the years went by he has formed many relations with people on the forums that never got to personally meet him. People come and go across the various detecting forums, but only a very few stand out and gain the respect he has. He has also overcome health issues that were shared years ago on the forums to bounce back and again become someone to admire for his determination. I personally would love to sit down and have a great conversation with him. Yeah the distractions and BS that I helped contribute to are quite childish. But when you argue with children.......you need to speak the language. Thanks Monte!
Nevada
February 17, 2019 02:58PM
Aaron,

You asked about the Nevada Outing.

[www.ahrps.org]

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
Re: Nevada
February 17, 2019 03:36PM
Thanks Rich!

Aaron
February 17, 2019 03:39PM
My point was simple.

When a person has the guts to start his/her own business (especially one like an electronics manufacturing business), and stays in business for 30+ years, they must have done something right. Regardless of what is transpiring now. Things change, people change, mistakes are made, etc. Most here know the history of Tesoro and how good the company was all those years, the quality products they made and the great service they provided.

A person who has not had the guts to do so, needs to shut up. Or at least have the decency to respect what the other person did in the past. Continually bringing up the fact that the company is no longer in business needs to be called out.

That's my opinion.

Long live the Monte is my hero thread !
February 17, 2019 09:16PM
Which doors to pick? One word,,, class. That should give you your answer.
February 18, 2019 05:53AM
yep! man knows of what he is talking about!..doesn't talk like a man with a "paper a**hole!" i'm just saying'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Appreciative of Monte and those like him . . .
February 18, 2019 04:39PM
I met Monty decades ago. Monte was always going out of his way to help others interested in detecting and still is. thumbs down I appreciate him and others like him.

For anybody bagging on Monte and his detector selection for the places he hunts, (he's typically starting with a Nokta Fors CoRe or Relic) come join him and have a go with your favorite detector and see how long you last hunting these places before you move out to the perimeter where the nails and rusty tin are less dense.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
February 18, 2019 04:55PM
I haven't read everyone else's inputs here yet, but will add:

If salvation "were by works", then they'd be saving a spot up there next to Mother Teresa for Monte !

There's scores of hobbyists who have cracked various riddles of md'ing , and gone on to have tons of fun in the hobby, because of Monte's tireless input on md'ing questions on forums. And even actual in-field assistance.

I've seen how some hunters, when they get real good, and start racking up hair-raising finds and sites, they will tend to become "exclusive". And start to only hunt with like-minded pro's. And Not bother themselves with beginners, nor share sites, etc... But Monte has been self-less and allowed an entire new generation to experience the same "in's" that he learned through the schools of hard knocks.
February 18, 2019 08:21PM
therover61 Wrote:
> My point was simple.
>
> When a person has the guts to start his/her own bu
> siness (especially one like an electronics manufac
> turing business), and stays in business for 30+ ye
> ars, they must have done something right. Regardle
> ss of what is transpiring now. Things change, peop
> le change, mistakes are made, etc. Most here know
> the history of Tesoro and how good the company was
> all those years, the quality products they made an
> d the great service they provided.
>
> A person who has not had the guts to do so, needs
> to shut up. Or at least have the decency to respec
> t what the other person did in the past. Continual
> ly bringing up the fact that the company is no lon
> ger in business needs to be called out.
>
> That's my opinion.
>
> Long live the Monte is my hero thread !

yes 'gifford" was a long shot,and look what he accomplished!
nobody at that time,had the "guts" to design a little "toy box"
detector,and turn it into a outrageous coin and jewelry sniper.
he had both "vision,and balls" tesoros are "respected" around the world because they are well built,simple,and work WELL.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 18, 2019 09:10PM
I talked to Monte Vaughn on the phone about 15+ years ago about a Bandito. Within 10 seconds he was talking in terms that was way over my head. I ended up just agreeing with him so I didn't look like the idiot I am. Full respect for this man.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
February 18, 2019 10:34PM
He is Hombre's Buddy too!
February 18, 2019 11:01PM
Monte is a gem. A man of long experience and firm opinions.

Disagreement with the latter should in no way diminish the respect for the former.

Seriously - his involvement with the hobby goes back to the dawn of modern VLF IB detecting. Ground cancellation WITH discrimination. A revolution which nothing which has come since has exceeded in its importance.

Monte worked with Compass - once the hottest innovator in Detectordom - times change - the funny thing about the metal detector business is that its extremely hard to make a long-term success. Technological superiority, extremely high mark-up over production build cost - none of this makes the road a metal detector manufacturer must navigate any safer. Along the way lie pitfalls - distribution, advertising, retail price discipline (now pretty much gone) - add to that tiny budgets, small technical staffs - and you have a recipe for the appearance and disappearance of dozens of metal detector brands.

In 10 years the whole hobby will look very different. How? heck - I don’t know, but I only hope I will be here to see it!!!!!

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2019 11:25PM by lytle78.
February 18, 2019 11:55PM
Yeah, Monte’s a righteous dude.

I posted on findmall that I was looking for a Bandido 2 uMax for my daughter and Monte responded to it.

He sold me a beautiful Bandido 2 uMax w 6” coil and and a extra 6” for my Pantera for only $300. shipped! And the coils were like new!

Now he could have gotten a lot more money for that unit/coils on eBay or even on Findmall, but that’s just the kind of person he is, not greedy and always helpful.

And oh, thanks a lot also for the BEAUTIFUL MARK 1 LTD Monte!

Your the man!

Aaron
February 19, 2019 12:51AM
Well, maybe if I jump in here I can answer a few of the questions I've read, satisfy some curiosities, and perhaps bring this thread to an end. Some of the responders I have met and known for quite some years, others I have had interesting phone calls and e-mails with related to this fantastic hobby we enjoy, and others I have followed on a regular bases as I do a lot more forum reading than I do posting. Besides, this old phart never tried to master any typing (keyboarding these days) skills so all my post responses take me a bit of time since I place the command of all key-strikes and editing in the capable control of two fingers ... one on each hand.

Like Rick and some others, I use my Name rather than some mysterious handle, and at one time long ago I kind of used my Middle Name that was not spelled correctly because, at the time, it didn't accept my name spelling because someone else was using it. I buy, sell and trade detectors via the Internet since the summer of '96 to get something I want, or perhaps just something I want to evaluate. Therefore, many on the Forums know me and my name from those transactions. So, just who am I and what can I share with readers of this thread that might be of any value, tell you a bit about myself, and share some of the inspiration of why I do what I do, and have done, on a number of website Forums for the past twenty three years. Or with those who have attended one of my seminars since 1981, or been involved in some of the metal detecting clubs I have been a part of since 1972. Better still, any of those who I have enjoyed meeting up with to talk detectors and help all of us learn more about how to get the most performance from our chosen set-ups.

My name is Monte Von Berry. Before I changed the spelling of my middle name to Vaughn to take care of the confusion with another poster who is now long gone. Sometimes I tag my name with the suffix of Sr. since my oldest son, Monte Jr., came along a little over 47 years ago. A few know one other 'title' I use on a different subject related website where I go by '840' which was my assigned reference and radio name back when I was a Chief of Police in a small town. Naturally, you and most everyone know me simply as 'Monte.'

I am a religious person and have a lot of faith that living a Christ-like life can help better me as an individual, and because of my beliefs I generally try to avoid such unwarranted behavior such as belittling people or mocking the choices they have made in life. This is a journey we all get to travel and some, I guess, go a little astray at times. Just a reflection on the weaknesses we can all have, but I am comforted that when it comes time they might see the light and 'choose the right' to better fulfill their goals in life. (I guess some might figure out that maybe that means some folks will realize they have been lead astray and followed the teachings and preaching's of someone who seems to have been misguided their self, but finally the followers who read the 'good book' (internet Forum) teachings will know that what Monte uses just has to be some of the best available when it comes to metal detectors.) eye popping smiley Okay, so now you know that Monte also has a sense of humor as well.smiling bouncing smiley

As my age ripens I look back to reflect on the behaviors and wanderings of my six children, sixteen grandchildren, and hope for the best for my first great-grandchild who should make an appearance sometime in March. A boy! If I can only hold out long enough for him to grow up a little so I can maybe get him involved in this great sport that would be fun.

I enjoy the outdoors in any way I can, to include a wee bit of fishing when my Dad was around, or when I get a chance to join any of my kids or grandkids for a day of fun. I have enjoyed hunting since I was 8 years old and especially enjoyed those years when I was a firearms instructor for my departments or a county-wide instructor and the police competition matches we used to hold. Like other things I enjoy doing, it was a way to master my knowledge and skills, and share time with fellow participants who also enjoyed that dedication of time and effort to better their skills, and naturally to have fun.

Next month I start my 55th year of enjoying this great pastime. I started out building my first (and second and third) Metal / Mineral Locator in March of '65. In the summer of '68 I started using my first factory-built Metal Detector, a White's Ghost Towner BFO, and the only slack time I had was during my duration in Viet Nam when I was limited to R&Ring in Hawaii. By late '71 to early '72 I started keeping 2 or more detectors on-hand that could complement each other, and by late '73 and on to the present I have generally maintained an 'Outfit' of four or more Regular-Use Detectors along with a selection of the favorite coils for them to handle my search needs.

In 1974 I started doing prototype evaluations for a detector manufacturer, and to date I have done so at the request of six or seven different manufacturers, and have enjoyed the time spent personally or by other communications with a number of detector design engineers. I have served this industry as a dealer, distributor, manufacturer's marketing rep and dealer coordinator and have provided some post-evaluation input on several design projects. I have been doing metal detector training seminars since 1981, taught a few classes on Recreational Metal Detecting at a college level, and have been a guest speaker at numerous detecting clubs over the past forty-plus years.

Some of the things I stress in any discussion with an individual, a small gathering or in a large group presentation, are these:

There is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector.

No one, and I mean NO ONE from design engineers down to the beginner, 'knows it all.'

I personally prefer to have a detector that satisfies the three important elements of: Being 'Simple,' having 'Functional' adjustment features, and providing 'Performance' to satisfy my wants and needs.

We should always be willing, and ready, to learn. Every time I turn a metal detector on, in a dealer's shop, at home, in-the-field, or just anywhere, I want to accomplish 3 things:

#1.. Refresh my memory of things I have learned in the past
#2.. Learn something new about a detector's features or performance behavior.
#3.. Have Fun and be successful.
----- The harder I work at #1 and #2, the more likely I can accomplish #3. -----

Unless we search in All Metal, recover each and every signal, and then dig and screen a potential area to really clean it out, we are never going to "find it all" when out metal detecting.

Everyone, no matter how good they believe they might be or the detector selection they make, is going to always clean a site out and leave nothing behind. That's why we always have the opportunity to hunt a place and find a keeper or two because others have always missed finding something. I enjoy hunting behind others just to enjoy finding something others have missed. Equally, I enjoy others who hunt behind me and make a discovery of something I might have missed because from that, not only have they made a good find and learned that things can be missed, but I learn something myself. 'Simple' things like perhaps I was a little sloppy in my sweep coverage or didn't overlap enough? Learning is important .... for all of us.

I have my favorite makes and models, and have preferred smaller-than-stock search coils the bulk of the time since '72. I've only found one US gold coin, a 1913 $2.50 in 1978 in Yamhill, Oregon, and my oldest US silver coin, an 1836 Capped Bust Half-Dime I found almost 28 years ago this date in my all-time favorite ghost town of 'Twin Flats' Utah when on a detecting trip with Rich (Utah) aka 'Gonebeepin' who also had a successful time. With over a half-century of avid detecting under my belt, Coin & Jewelry Hunting, actively Relic Hunting ghost towns and military and pioneer encampments since 1969, and moving to a dedicated Relic Hunting attitude since July of '83, all I can do is assure you that while we still have a lot of good opportunities to get out and make great finds, it is nothing like the glory days some of us got to enjoy way back in that early era of 'having fun.'

I'll continue to do my best to get out and enjoy this great sport as long as I can, but my physical condition and impaired mobility have taken their toll and slowed me down. However, I'm still alert and dedicated to doing what I can to help others learn and understand and enjoy this great undertaking, and I just hope that any suggestions or help I offer or answer can be of some benefit to anyone so that they can get as much satisfaction and enjoyment out of metal detecting as I have.

Lengthy? Hey, it's Monte! What did you expect?winking smiley Seriously though, now you know a bit more about me as an individual, my interest and involvement in the metal detecting sport, and please accept my best wishes that you, as well, can get all the enjoyment possible out of time well spent learning and getting out hunting.

Monte

(PS: Please pardon typos or oversights. My two fingers and I spent 3+ hours getting this down and trying to proof read and edit. Plus a break to move aroun and put wood in my wood stove to counter the cold and high windy late-winter weather.)
February 19, 2019 01:26AM
Excellent write up Monte.-----God bless you!----------Del
February 19, 2019 01:28AM
Great stuff Monte. I did talk to you on the phone one time about an IDX. About ten years ago. Oh the transactions come and go and no way do I expect you to remember. But I do remember it. Nice to know a little about you. Thanks for taking the time, and being a great sport about the thread. Not sure if you ever wrote a book, but I bet you have the stories to fill one. I wish you and your family great health and thanks again for being a fine example for the hobby. A hobby that I hope continues for a long time.
February 19, 2019 02:01AM
Your one “Class Act” and a true gentleman Sir.

May you have many happy hunts ahead and enjoy that new great grandchild this Spring!

Aaron
February 19, 2019 02:02AM
So now it should be easier to understand the title of this post----much to the chagrin of some.
February 19, 2019 02:06AM
Monte, thank you for giving something which you had no obligation to give.

Personally, I am not a fan of “butting heads” or choosing up sides and name calling. But again - we all differ.

25 years ago we all would have been isolated - having no useful means of sharing our views or experiences - except through a “letter to the editor”

Now we can share our experiences - whether it be intellectual breakthroughs - or digestive tract effluent - at zero marginal cost - except to our reputation, If that reputation is attached to a “handle” - a “nom de plume” - it may seem that rudeness, aggression or general “bloody mindedness” has zero cost. In fact it does. Even on the web, the mills of justice grind slowly - and exceedingly fine.

Tom has provided - at his own expense - a fine forum with wide latitude for opinion - of all sorts.

Let’s hope that our self control and judgement will allow it to continue.

Me.

Rick Kempf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2019 02:35AM by lytle78.
February 19, 2019 06:20AM
monte! a 'first class" ambassador of the hobby!
may god always hold you in the palm of his ever lovin' hand!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 19, 2019 09:46PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: 100 yrs. from now, someone's going to collect all of Monte's posts from archives. And assemble them all in an index, to have an encyclopedic look at "metal detecting from the mid 1960s to the 2010s".

Not too many people have a nostalgic interest in the formative years of MD'ing evolution (in-so-far as hobbyist applications go). But for those that do, Monte's "trip down memory lane" is spot on for the evolution stages of BFO (mid 1960s), all-metal TRs (early 1970s), TR discriminators (mid to late 1970s), motion disc (late 1970s). TID (early 1980s), and so forth. And the pro's and con's of each step, and individual units, during all those years.

Thanx Monte !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2019 11:47PM by Tom_in_CA.
February 20, 2019 02:03AM
LOL, I sort of do that now, great reference material to keep re-educating myself with....................Monte supplied me with most of the catalogs and info sheets used to make up my website. So I reference that material all the time. Without Monte my website would not exist.

Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> I've said it before, and I'll say it again: 100 y
> rs. from now, someone's going to collect all of Mo
> nte's posts from archives. And assemble them all
> in an index, to have an encyclopedic look at "meta
> l detecting from the mid 1960s to the 2010s".
>
> Not too many people have a nostalgic interest in t
> he formative years of MD'ing evolution (in-so-far
> as hobbyist applications go). But for those that
> do, Monte's "trip down memory lane" is spot on for
> the evolution stages of BFO (mid 1960s), all-metal
> TRs (early 1970s), TR discriminators (mid to late
> 1970s), motion disc (late 1970s). TID (early 1980
> s), and so forth. And the pro's and con's of eac
> h step, and individual units, during all those yea
> rs.
>