Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any thoughts on gold rings versus junk...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any thoughts on gold rings versus junk...
May 21, 2011 12:55PM
We all know, tabs, foil, can slaw etc. can mimic a gold ring and come in spot on your meter..Over the years have done some testing and find older Tesoro's seem to have the most audio variances to cut down the odds to dig or not and talking to many avid detectorists say heck a gold ring and the junk that mimics sounds the same, but does it as the average gold ring weighs much more than perhaps a tab or piece of foil and would like to hear some opinions from the forum. Go easy on me guys as have been laughed off more than one forum but this forum seems to be more in depth relative the hobby and we all might learn rather than just say one has to dig all to get a gold ring.
Honestly know only true discriminator is a shovel but can we cut down the odds to dig or not..Opinions welcome..
Re: Any thoughts on gold rings versus junk...
May 21, 2011 03:58PM
I have found five gold diamond rings in the last two months that is a record...I am using the G2 but there was no way for me to tell what I had till I dug it...And I would only dig nickle readings....I would also only dig for two hours and then go home but I would look for the best places where someone might lose a ring. I have always hoped there would be a way to read gold rings at parks and schools but the trash targets read the same.

Just when I think I learned a trick I realize it is not going to work. Like relic hunting if you want to find the good targets you almost have to dig all the readings you get even if it is a dirty tone or a one way tone. My friend will spank me at schools because he digs almost all targets while I am more of a cherry picker. Again he has a load of trash but will almost find a few rings even if they are just junk rings.

Yeah I was hoping for a detector that would be the next step in dealing with trash and I am hoping Fisher and Tek will come up with the newest inovation so we can go deeper, better at masking, and deal with trash...a multy freq machine that will make us all want one..You wonder if Dave J is working on more then one idea at a time and he says this will take a few years to bring to market but lets gets these done while I create the next new flagship. I say take the V3 and Etrac and give it a twist that is light and simple to program but deals with trash better and has a boost mode...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
qwk
May 21, 2011 07:02PM
Bigger mens gold rings have a certain sound, but most rings I find sound identical to foil/tab.

If you want to find gold regularly you have to dig it all. Since most people mostly cherry pick high tones, there is quite a bit of gold left in the ground at most parks/schools.
May 21, 2011 07:50PM
Odd getting all those gold rings digging nickles as Fisher did a study of a collection of several hundred and only 5 percent came in as nickle on a CZ...years ago one of the Whites guys(can't think of his name) came out with a gold ring ring program for whites programable units and actually notched out nickles as he felt wasn't worth digging them to find a gold ring...myself my wifes mothers ring is at dead nickle and once dug a nice diamond gold ring in the snow lost shoveling and thought for sure it would come in foil area..Well it came in dead nickle but had an insert to tighten an heirloom ring too big for her finger which probably pushed into the nickle segment..Yep large gold rings sure are easier to tell as just weigh one and a square tab and the weight difference is realy a lot of difference..and will come in on the meter close to each other number wise....
May 21, 2011 08:05PM
I'm not yet proficient in the turf but have some observations from dry sand hunting with the XP Deus.

The Deus is a noisy machine but perhaps it's because I try to keep it at it's deepest. It responds (at 18K frequency) to tiny pieces of foil ..pinhead size. I've discriminated the large majority of those out at about 34 VDI. Tiny gold rings come in at 35+, medium about 50+ and my latest (and only real find) 7 gram gold band at 80 (which is high zincoln or low copper cent).

Nickels/pulltabs come in at 55 to 62. I can (in the sand) distinguish between pulltabs and nickels because the pulltab has a tinny, flat sound versus a strong sweet ring for a nickel. I'm taking that difference as a mass difference (what? maybe 15 to 1?).

In the turf I must admit I am lost ...for now.

HH Joe
May 21, 2011 08:53PM
If they ever come out with a detector that can distinguish gold rings (from the junk)----I'll sell the farm to get it!!------At this point in time at least---think we are all "stuck" with digging a lot of lower conductive junk to get the gold.------Unfortunately, that just plain isn't feasable in most of the places I hunt.-------There's A LOT of gold out there in the ground (rings & jewelry)---but to get to it??------No choice (at this time) but to dig (almost) everything. JMHO-------------Del
May 21, 2011 10:24PM
Good post Dr.

Are you in NA?
May 22, 2011 02:41AM
Just a side-note: Over 97% of gold jewelry ID's as 'foil'. ((( Remember......men do not wear the bulk of the jewelry that is created in this world ))).
May 22, 2011 03:11AM
Great point Tom! The ##'s are definitely in the favor of digging foil. (not to mention the Diamonds & other rocks attached to those dainty rings!) There's more to diggin' jewelry than a gram or two of 14K gold!

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
May 22, 2011 11:15AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a side-note: Over 97% of gold jewelry ID's as
> 'foil'. ((( Remember......men do not wear the
> bulk of the jewelry that is created in this world
> ))).

I'll agree with that Tom but, if you look at who loses the most it's men. I hunt water, old parks and sports fields and even when digging all foil to tab range signals, mens bands by far make up the bulk of my finds. I don't hunt the school soccer fields because in my opinion they are a waste of time. Kids may wear some of the smaller stuff and lose it occasionally but feel it's not worth the effort when better pickings are available. Give me a ball field in an older neighborhood and unless it has been picked over by another gold hunter I'm in seventh heaven, LOL

JMO
Tom Z
May 22, 2011 12:31PM
On a ball field (predominantly a 'mens playground').......you will find mens rings...........if they are wearing any.

There is more to gold jewelry than 'rings'.

At the beach.........especially in the water.......or on the wet slope...........this is where a huge amount of jewelry is lost. Problem is........most detectors have a hard time detecting 'foil' conductors....if...even at all...........as this conductive range nearly mimics 'wet salt'...........subsequently, making the detection of 'foil' ....very difficult (and impossible on many detectors).

Almost 100% of the gold chains ID as 'foil'.
Almost 100% of the gold earrings ID as 'foil'. (There are 11-times more earrings lost......then ALL other jewelry items COMBINED).
Almost 100% of the gold bracelets (and anklets) ID as 'foil'.
Almost 100% of the gold toe-rings ID as 'foil'.
Over 99% of the gold charms ID as 'foil'.
Approx 99% of gold pendants ID as 'foil'.
Approx 97% of womens gold rings ID as 'foil'.
Approx 38% of mens gold rings ID as 'foil'.

The only thing today's detectors can detect on the beach is............primarily 'conductive closed-loop' items..........better known as 'rings'. Soooo, How do you know what you are missing..............if you don't know it even exists! (Because current technology cannot detect the bulk of the lost jewelry............even in fresh water).

Never, NEVER go into your 'dug/found' gold items collection............and try to create a ID 'ratio' with these 'found' items. (((Most gold items you will not find))). Go to a jewelry store and swing 1000's of items in front of the coil...........and experience a eye-opening, painful, reality-check, quantified, real-world, genuine tuition/education! It'll pay off in the long-run!!!!!!!!

If you are hunting a mans playground (baseball, softball, football, soccer...etc......) BY ALL MEANS!!!!!......DIG THE PULL-TABS!!!! HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY ENCOURAGED!!!!! ((( VERY good .. Jackpine! )))
May 22, 2011 05:11PM
I would be inclined to think the V3i may be able to ID gold with its three frequencies and showing the strongest frequency the target is hitting. I have never tried it though so this is just speculation on my part.
May 22, 2011 05:15PM
Yep the GTI with imaging was supposed to way back when..but again Hype-hype......as certainly didn't do anything for me... As far as V3 don't have a prayer as too rich for my blood.....and Tesoro's still like gold best out of a saltwater area....
May 22, 2011 07:13PM
Ok, I just checked it out using the factory Coin & Jewelry program, using some of my wife's thin gold rings. The first one I checked was a 14K white gold ring which VDI'd at +6, another that VDI'd at +9, and yellow gold 10K band that VDI'd at +16, and several gold nuggets that VDI'd at +6 and the V3 pin-pointed them all hitting the 22.5 kHz frequency the hardest. Then I tried a piece of dug foil that VDI'd at +16 and it gave the same response as the rings, also hitting the 22.5 kHz frequency the hardest. SO... nope, the V3 will not distinguish between gold or trash targets based on the frequency ID. Bummer!

"Happy hunting" - Schultzie
May 22, 2011 08:32PM
I have dug gold rings that have ranged from foil up to zinc cents. INMO to avoid the possibility of missing a gold ring all non ferrous signals should be dug, alto sometimes this is not practical.
May 23, 2011 12:27AM
The V3 has the right set up for gold but it is not designed to take that to the next level. I was reading about the crown caps and would love to hunt schools again but the cost is not worth it at this time.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 23, 2011 10:31AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On a ball field (predominantly a 'mens
> playground').......you will find mens
> rings...........if they are wearing any.
>
> There is more to gold jewelry than 'rings'.
>
> At the beach.........especially in the
> water.......or on the wet slope...........this is
> where a huge amount of jewelry is lost. Problem
> is........most detectors have a hard time
> detecting 'foil' conductors....if...even at
> all...........as this conductive range nearly
> mimics 'wet salt'...........subsequently, making
> the detection of 'foil' ....very difficult (and
> impossible on many detectors).
>
> Almost 100% of the gold chains ID as 'foil'.
> Almost 100% of the gold earrings ID as 'foil'.
> (There are 11-times more earrings lost......then
> ALL other jewelry items COMBINED).
> Almost 100% of the gold bracelets (and anklets) ID
> as 'foil'.
> Almost 100% of the gold toe-rings ID as 'foil'.
> Over 99% of the gold charms ID as 'foil'.
> Approx 99% of gold pendants ID as 'foil'.
> Approx 97% of womens gold rings ID as 'foil'.
> Approx 38% of mens gold rings ID as 'foil'.
>
> The only thing today's detectors can detect on the
> beach is............primarily 'conductive
> closed-loop' items..........better known as
> 'rings'. Soooo, How do you know what you are
> missing..............if you don't know it even
> exists! (Because current technology cannot detect
> the bulk of the lost jewelry............even in
> fresh water).

>

Exactly my reasoning and why I don't worry about such items Tom. I use absolute min disc or all metal wherever possible (freshwater) and regardless of the detector this micro stuff just ain't there in the finds bag. Last summer a 1.1 gram bracelet came up in the scoop along with a pulltab... yup the bracelet by itself gave no indication.
Foil range rings and charms/pendants show up regularly as finds. Post earrings by the dozens and yet to get one with any sizeable "real rock"... 95% of em out there are CZ's, still dig em in hopes of a "real" one but how many people are gonna wear truly impressive earrings with outstanding rocks other than to upscale fashion and Gala events Hmmm?

> Never, NEVER go into your 'dug/found' gold items
> collection............and try to create a ID
> 'ratio' with these 'found' items. (((Most gold
> items you will not find))). Go to a jewelry store
> and swing 1000's of items in front of the
> coil...........and experience a eye-opening,
> painful, reality-check, quantified, real-world,
> genuine tuition/education! It'll pay off in the
> long-run!!!!!!!!
>
> If you are hunting a mans playground (baseball,
> softball, football, soccer...etc......) BY ALL
> MEANS!!!!!......DIG THE PULL-TABS!!!! HIGHLY,
> HIGHLY, HIGHLY ENCOURAGED!!!!! ((( VERY good ..
> Jackpine! )))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2011 10:42AM by Jackpine.
May 23, 2011 12:16PM
Tom,

Yes, demographics are important.

I also find a lot of single-post studded earrings that are 'costume'. They are easy to detect.........as they are not true/real gold. (( Usually copper (albeit gold-plated).........a much higher conductor )). True/real gold earrings and bracelets are nearly......and usually 'impossible' to detect.....as was the case with your gold bracelet. These are the ones that can....and often.... adorn real stones. And they are plentyful.
May 24, 2011 08:31AM
my inland gold finds have increased in the last two years.Gold ring tones sound smoother to me than most of the foil.Not always but most of the time.I still dig tons of foil and pulltabs.I'm more site selective also.