Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher's soon to be released machine... Interesting!!!

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher's soon to be released machine... Interesting!!!
March 15, 2019 11:06AM
Re: Fisher's soon to be released machine... Interesting!!!
March 15, 2019 01:22PM
HMMM....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 01:25PM by calabash digger.
March 15, 2019 01:37PM
Ole' Cal can't wait to test one!
March 15, 2019 01:58PM
While I have no use for it no beaches anywhere near, but it looks like it will be a great machine for the beach hunters. I'm just glad to see Fisher jumping back in the mix as the US companies seem to be falling behind here lately on innovation. Hope it works out well.
I can see this opening up the relic sites in bad ground.
March 15, 2019 02:14PM
Yep but at 2500.00 dollars only big money guys like Ole' Cal and Daniel will be able to afford it. Ha!
March 15, 2019 02:17PM
Lots of folks paid >2k for CTX’s, >4K for GPX’s and >6k for GPZ’s. The last two are specialized machines mostly only good for finding gold nuggets. In North America at least, 1000 hours of nugget hunting will likely result in much less gold than 1000 hours of beach hunting with a PI with iron ID.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 15, 2019 02:21PM
Day late and a dollar short... weve been discussing this for days.
March 15, 2019 02:29PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lots of folks paid >2k for CTX’s, >4K for GPX’s an
> d >6k for GPZ’s. The last two are specialized mach
> ines mostly only good for finding gold nuggets. I
> n North America at least, 1000 hours of nugget hun
> ting will likely result in much less gold than 100
> 0 hours of beach hunting with a PI with iron ID.

Wonder how many folks actually detect to make loot or actually pay for their detector??
I sure don’t do for either.
Rather for enjoyment and the actual challenge, to satisfy some curiosity.

How many CW bullets would it take to pay for GPX or even this new Fisher product??
Yeah there are some rarer ones that bring higher prices.

But if I found something really nice I would likely keep not sell. For memory sake and just maybe some bragging rights.

I don’t think NASA Tom detects beaches for the material payoff. Maybe I am wrong.

One can always go pick up beer cans in the ditch lines and and sell off enough to buy any detector really. Likely faster than one will trying to find items to sell to pay for a detector adhock.

Yeah the folks who go to rally’s at Culpeper I don’t think go to get rich or make loot. Just the adventure.
Boats, folks buy them too. Yeah they make loot with them to don’t they?? lol
How many fish does one have to catch to pay for?
Or how many bikinis does one need to catch to pay for ?? Lol

These newer detector models.
Isn’t it really about getting targets (items) others using other equipment can’t get or can’t get as easily?
I think so.

When one thinks about it. Most folks would be satisfied just paying their out of pocket expenses it takes to pay for room and board, transportation cost. Not the actual detecting gear itself.
This don’t happen on lots of excursions though.

I’m sure someone will chime in here and tell me I am wrong. And point to someone who struck monster find and hit pay dirt and paid for their > $2000 detector.
Maybe we need to find out how much these folks make hourly wage ise wise detecting?

Maybe I am just being too practical here.

Later

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 02:44PM by tnsharpshooter.
March 15, 2019 02:43PM
TNSS I don’t disagree with your analysis, but finding gold at the beach is not a particularly low probability event, I found 3 gold rings in one hour on a SC beach last May. Unusual good lick, of course, but the reasonable expectation of several gold finds per season, plus the resale value of the machine, means that serious beach hunters will consider this new AQ as long as early field results support the possibility that it provides game-changing capabilities.

Rick Kempf
March 15, 2019 02:51PM
Metal detecting is my cheapest hobby, to be honest.

I fish but don't have a boat...have been looking at getting a sit on top style fishing kayak. Those jokers run about $1,300 and up for something that you paddle. I'd like to have a boat but even the aluminum boats like I want start at around $17,000 and quickly go up from there. A new fiberglass bass boat is upwards of $70,000 new now days. 30 year old boats if they are in decent shape, are still $10,000 or there abouts on the classifieds. I look about every day and hope for a good deal to come along on a used one but it ain't happened yet. Thus I am now leaning towards the ole kayak.

Metal detecting...when the best equip you can buy is south of $3,000. You fellas will have to get out and use it to pay for itself though. Can't just buy one, keep it in the closet and expect to find anything by talking about the good ole days on forums.

One of my teachers in school always had a quote that he would say, and it applies here: A cow don't give milk, you have to go take it.

Stuff is out there to find. You just have to go get it.
March 15, 2019 03:03PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Metal detecting is my cheapest hobby, to be honest
> .
> Stuff is out there to find. You just have to go get it.

Agree with you. I collect (and sell a bit) of antique art glass, and one piece of glass can be more then a GPX7000.
March 15, 2019 03:11PM
I laugh every time I see people complain about how "expensive" detecting is. It is the cheapest hobby I know of, by miles! Golfers spend thousands just to chase a ball, photographer spend thousands on camera bodies and lenses, fishermen, hunters, off-road builders, scuba diving, horses... hell even my mother's quilting "hobby" is ungodly expensive.
March 15, 2019 03:27PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Ole' Cal can't wait to test one!

Not in the dirt he won’t....

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 06:36PM by Aaron.
March 15, 2019 03:29PM
It is like most things, People on the outside looking in don't understand. If you don't hunt gold, you don't understand gold, nor do you understand how much of it there is to find ALL THE TIME. Normal mindset.
If I was a beach hunter I'd be totally pumped about both the Manta and the MDT-8000.

HH
Mike
March 15, 2019 03:56PM
Ha.....I pay for my machines ...repairs....gas and whatever else you throw at it TNN. But....don’t ask me how much I make an hour doing it lol. I know a few Woden here who claim to make a living at it....but it’s sure not on spot melt. Ive got a nice collection thou. I sure don’t golf....or boat. Last few years have been tougher more hunters....better equipment.....weather.....red tide....and I believe fewer drops and more people at turning to the internet for help finding lost items. They don’t need to as the wife to buy more machines now with the Nox....ouch and I’m seeing a lot of them. But sure beats picking up Chang at a park. Retired military and farm boy....I have to be outside doing something.
March 15, 2019 04:03PM
I always hear beach hunters say they don't find as much gold anymore since it went crazy high as people who do wear it or more careful to remove it when doing activities like swimming and such?
I don't beach hunt myself so can't say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 04:06PM by Harold,ILL..
March 15, 2019 04:13PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Lots of folks paid >2k for CTX’s, >4K for GPX’s an
> d >6k for GPZ’s. The last two are specialized mach
> ines mostly only good for finding gold nuggets. I
> n North America at least, 1000 hours of nugget hun
> ting will likely result in much less gold than 100
> 0 hours of beach hunting with a PI with iron ID.

Those were different times. Now you have the Nox, and great machines from Nokta/Makro to compete with. $2500 is two months pay to the average Joe. $2500 is a down payment on a car, a used car, a furniture/bedroom/kitchen set, a few big appliances, a few months rent, two house payments, etc. If you are going to sit there and say $2500 is no big deal, then you are better off then most.

Make a machine affordable, and it will sell. Nothing wrong with a $600-$800 price tag, just ask Nokta/Makro, or Minelab. Even Garrett. The Ace 250 made more money then any amount of gpzs,ctxs, or even the Nox can compare to it. It's a solid business model that works: Offer a great machine at an affordable price and it will sell and if you don't agree with that, then go back to economics class.

"It's only when we lost everything, that we are free to do anything"
March 15, 2019 04:14PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Ha.....I pay for my machines ...repairs....gas and
> whatever else you throw at it TNN. But....don’t a
> sk me how much I make an hour doing it lol. I kn
> ow a few Woden here who claim to make a living at
> it....but it’s sure not on spot melt. Ive got a
> nice collection thou. I sure don’t golf....or boa
> t. Last few years have been tougher more hunters.
> ...better equipment.....weather.....red tide....an
> d I believe fewer drops and more people at turning
> to the internet for help finding lost items. The
> y don’t need to as the wife to buy more machines n
> ow with the Nox....ouch and I’m seeing a lot of th
> em. But sure beats picking up Chang at a park.
> Retired military and farm boy....I have to be outs
> ide doing something.

Okay.
Let us know when you get your Tarassic paid for after you pay for your gas, etc to get to the beaches.
Hell even if you break even overall you haven’t made anything $$ wise.. But what price can one put on enjoyment, exercise, hearing the waves, seeing the girls, and making a few friemds along the way. Even coming here to this forum is a bonus (has value) the way I see it.

For folks wanting to strike it rich. Better get busy detecting. You only have 12 years according to some. LoL
March 15, 2019 04:15PM
Probably be a couple versions at some point and some more Tech too I would assume.smiling smiley

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 15, 2019 04:26PM
silverfiend Wrote:
> I laugh every time I see people complain about how "expensive" detecting is. It is the cheapest hobby I know of, by miles! Golfers spend thousands just to chase a ball, photographer spend thousands on camera bodies and lenses, fishermen, hunters, of
> f-road builders, scuba diving, horses... hell even my mother's quilting "hobby" is ungodly expensive.

All true, and with almost all of those hobbies you noted, aside from personal enjoyment, there's almost zero financial ROI unless you break into pro status.
March 15, 2019 04:30PM
Hopefully Keith.....ML will jump in as well and Digging it all may be a thing of the past with a PI while maintaining the exceptional depth and sensitivity. I dare say those who hit the beaches a lot ....it’s not finding it as much as .....how does one get $20,000 on a found ring? I know a guy local who does well and found one that price. Ended up a give back.....the guy gave him $400 for it..... because he said he’d just claim insurance otherwise. So we end up with a nice collection......just like relic and coin hunters. Look at Joe (ole beach nut) over a hundred gold ring a year for the past 4 years. But he’s not your average hunter.
March 15, 2019 05:28PM
I would point you to Clive's page.....Mostly a dedicated water hunter....he reports yearly totals in ounces.

HH
Mike
March 15, 2019 05:44PM
I’m pretty sure that Fisher would be delighted if they could sell the AQ for $1000. If they are thinking of charging twice that much for it - then either:

They are greedy and hope that the “pot of gold” in the customer’s dreams will fund the premium in the price - or - and I consider this to be much more likely...

The build cost and the non-recurring engineering which went into it make it impossible to sell cheaper while making the dealers a reasonable margin and a profit for Fisher.

Remember, the manufacturer only gets part of the price we pay - the dealer/distributor margins reduce Fisher’s out the door $$ a good bit.

Here’s what I posted here last October - It looks like I wasn’t far off the mark....

Say you have this prototype sitting on your lab bench. Now you call in the mechanical department, purchasing, marketing. They look at it. They start figuring out everyday stuff like - how much is this going to cost to build per unit - assuming what sales rate? How much do we charge for it? Too much and we restrict sales - too little and the boss fires us and hires competent people in our place.

It ain’t easy. It ain’t quick and very few of us have been through the process.

If they could sell thousands of unit per year for many years, it could sell for less than if they can only sell a few hundred units a year. The beach detector market is a niche in detectorland. Serious gold hunting at the beach is a niche within a niche. This is not a general purpose detector. It is like the Excalibur, CZ21, and the beach PI detectors. None of these are exactly “hot sellers”. That tends to keep the prices up due to low volume.

I don’t think this will be a cheap detector. When Eric Foster was building his beach machines, they sold for a bundle. His most powerful machine was the Aquastar. It sold for $1700 in the year 2000 - that’s $2500 in 2018 dollars. Clive Clynick sold his used Aquastar for $1800 back in 2005. Folks who have used both, say the Manta is deeper and quieter than the Aquastar.

[www.treasurenet.com]

LE JAG sold his Manta prototype (back before First Texas was in the picture) in 2016 for $2000

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

You can bet there is a lot of head scratching going on in El Paso these days. Hard work turning a wonderful device into a profitable product. It takes more time than you might think.

Rick Kempf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 05:58PM by lytle78.
March 15, 2019 09:17PM
All I care is if it can tell me ferrous from non ferrous in red clay at depth.

A whole layer of non ferrous is down there being called ferrous.a whole world to be explored

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 15, 2019 09:32PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> All I care is if it can tell me ferrous from non f
> errous in red clay at depth.
>
>
> A whole layer of non ferrous is down there being c
> alled ferrous.a whole world to be explored
>
> Keith

In reading the history and design of it, the creator mentioned making some changes to the "aqua-manta" to create a "terra-manta", so I think that angle has been looked at from the beginning. If this first release doesnt do it, I think the land version will be on the way.
March 15, 2019 10:59PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Ha.....I pay for my machines ...repairs....gas and
> whatever else you throw at it TNN. But....don’t a
> sk me how much I make an hour doing it lol. I kn
> ow a few Woden here who claim to make a living at
> it....but it’s sure not on spot melt. Ive got a
> nice collection thou. I sure don’t golf....or boa
> t. Last few years have been tougher more hunters.
> ...better equipment.....weather.....red tide....an
> d I believe fewer drops and more people at turning
> to the internet for help finding lost items. The
> y don’t need to as the wife to buy more machines n
> ow with the Nox....ouch and I’m seeing a lot of th
> em. But sure beats picking up Chang at a park.
> Retired military and farm boy....I have to be outs
> ide doing something.

I would never pick up Chang at a park.
March 15, 2019 11:29PM
texkinzee Wrote:

> I would never pick up Chang at a park.

Good thinking, you never know where Chang has been!
March 15, 2019 11:45PM
The money is not an issue for me providing.....

The detector performs as advertised
The detector is easy to use.
The land version will not obsolete my beach version six months later.

No mention of the ability to firmware flash. It is basically new tech and for two grand I believe the ability to update isn't much to ask.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2019 11:48PM by goodmore.
March 16, 2019 12:10AM
Based on stuff I've read over on the Geotech1 forum, it may have multiple microprocessors, so the business of updating the software by the user is not viable. It's something strictly for something with one micro, and a micro that's capable of being updated that way ... most are not, programming in a factory with dedicated equipment is the norm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2019 12:57AM by Pimento.
March 16, 2019 12:32AM
silverfiend
I laugh every time I see people complain about how "expensive" detecting is. It is the cheapest hobby I know of, by miles! Golfers spend thousands just to chase a ball, photographer spend thousands on camera bodies and lenses, fishermen, hunters, off-road builders, scuba diving, horses... hell even my mother's quilting "hobby" is ungodly expensive.

Maybe your hobbie are little bit on a upper class side if you ask me (and your just missing yatching lol, and buying supercars)... , skating is cheaper, bike riding cheaper ( depend what bike you use tho) , drone racing cheaper, surfing cheaper, swimming hell cheaper, computer gaming, retrogaming, roleplaying, painting , drawing and so on i have plenty of other exemples .

@Daniel_tn "Metal detecting...when the best equip you can buy is south of $3,000. You fellas will have to get out and use it to pay for itself though. "
ill correct this sentence by "to get out and work overtime to pay for itself though" at least in europe... you can still go hunt gold in either africa and australia to try to make a living of it ...