Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tesoro Golden Sabre 2 settings?

Posted by vincentvangerven 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tesoro Golden Sabre 2 settings?
May 08, 2019 05:27AM
Picked this model up recently.

Still trying to figure out this detector....

Is it basically a silver sabre 2 with notch?

Where do you guys set your notch and disc?

The switch on Accept or Reject ?

Thanks smiling smiley
Re: Tesoro Golden Sabre 2 settings?
May 08, 2019 02:07PM
Been a while since I owned and used a 'Gold Sabre', had the first of them and liked the 'Notch' feature as back in the day (mid '80's) it was 'the sliced bread' feature!
It did find me an above average rate of 'nickels' compared to other regular discriminators used at the same time. Set up "carefully" that was possible to achieve while leaving 'a lot of' pull tabs in the ground...
But today, with so many different types of older ring pull and modern 'pry off tabs' etc etc notching remains a risky business!

The 'golden rule' with the Gold Sabre's was, the DISC had to be lower than the Notch (or Notch higher than disc)

Far as I remember my set-up was:

PWR/SENS: site dependent and target density
Disc: On 2/3 (to reject foil)
Notch Reject 5 / 6 or so just play around with various tabs bench testing..

Hope this helps...
May 08, 2019 02:09PM
Mike Hillis knows this detector like the back of His hand. One thing though is it's a 2 tone detector instead of a single tone like the Silver Sabre.
You use the disc. knob to set the tone break with the the notch switch off. The wide and narrow notch is the same Tesoro notch type set-up. This much I know but others who know more can chime in.
May 08, 2019 03:19PM
Hi Vincent.
I admit to being a fan of the Golden Sabre II. No time to post something helpful right now but I'll get something up in the next day or two that may prove to help.
HH
Mike
May 08, 2019 04:30PM
Great, thanks Mike! And thanks very much for the input Harold and Des! thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2019 04:33PM by vincentvangerven.
May 09, 2019 06:38PM
Got a couple of minutes....

The GSII is an analog unit so I tend to match the audio to the coil. If I'm running DD coils on it, I'll super tune the threshold as you loose the audio with the DD coils. What I mean is that the analog audio isn't as informative with the DD coils as with the concentrics so rather than waste time on the audio I just super tune it and make it a full beep dig type unit when using DD coils.

To super tune it, put it in Disc mode and adjust the threshold control on the back of the unit all the way to max, then back it off just a little bit. It makes the all metal mode unusable and you lose modulation but it gives full audio to full detection depth of the coil.

With concentric coils the audio give a lot of information so I tend to not super tune concentrics. With the stock concentric coil, flip it to all metal and set the threshold normally so that the all metal mode is usable for pinpointing. Don't take it too low as it does affect the Disc audio. With the threshold set normal (faint buzz) you get full modulated audio and the full descriptive audio of the analog unit in Disc mode. Shallow is loud, deep is soft. Round is crisp, not round is ratty. You'll see.

The GSII is a dual tone model with a mixed tone where the two tones meet. The tone break. So you get a mid high tone and a high tone and where they meet is a mixed mid/high tone. You control the conductive range of the mixed tone (tone break point) with the Notch control. You set the mixed tone where you want it and the mid tone will be below that and the high tone will be above it. Since its an analog unit, the mix fades to both sides. More high tone to the mix on the high tone side and more mid tone mix to the mid tone side. You could call the mid tone side the low tone side but it isn't really a low tone at 600 Hertz....

Anyway....you adjust your tone break point with the Notch control. I typically set my tone break for the old square tab. I'll still get some mix tone squeaking on a zinc cent but high conductors will sound solid toned. Nickels will stay solid toned. In between targets will give a mixed audio, the degree of which is based upon how close they are to the tone break mixed toned set point.

If you want a single tone, you can set the Notch dial at minimum and everything will give the high tone or you can set the Notch dial at Max and everything will give the mid tone. Tone break is handy and you use it where it helps you the most.

It automatically has iron disc at minimum disc setting so I always just leave Disc as minimum and discriminate by the audio. Disc settings affect depth so....forewarned is forearmed.

Regards the Notch Accept and the Notch Reject, its a full range notch, so you can set it to only accept quarters and higher or you could set it to reject quarters and higher. Full range low to high which is nice. The notch window itself is adjustable via a pot on the board so you have the ability to define the size of the notch accept/reject window if you so wish.

Hope that helps.
HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2019 06:47PM by Mike Hillis.
May 09, 2019 08:01PM
Good read Mike.

So, was the GS2, the "first" detector to have "Tone Break"?
Was it deliberate or accidental?
Compare it to the 'Cross Save' on the 'Safari: they didn't intend it: it was accidental.
May 09, 2019 08:09PM
What was the 'Cross Save' on the Safari?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2019 08:11PM by Harold,ILL..
May 09, 2019 08:16PM
Hi Des,
I don't know if Tesoro's first dual tone was deliberate or not. The early Royal Sabre plus was a dual tone but the tones were very close 700 and 750 hertz so they could be accidental at the beginning. By the time the Pantera and then the following Golden Sabre 2 came along it was all very deliberate.

I'd like to hear the Safari story on its on thread, though. That sound interesting.

HH
Mike
May 10, 2019 02:22PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was the 'Cross Save' on the Safari?

It was actually on the older Quattro but Andy Sabisch highlighted it on the "Safari" handbook. He was the first to coin a name for it.

Basically, Quattro/Safari can be operated in Conductive Sounds (C) and Ferrous Sounds (F)
There are 4 Search Mode programs two of which are C sounds and two are F sounds: but by staring out in a C program by holding down the button of an F sound mode the F sound can then be operated in the C program and vice versa.
May 10, 2019 10:40PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got a couple of minutes....
>
> The GSII is an analog unit so I tend to match the
> audio to the coil. If I'm running DD coils on it
> , I'll super tune the threshold as you loose the a
> udio with the DD coils. What I mean is that the a
> nalog audio isn't as informative with the DD coils
> as with the concentrics so rather than waste time
> on the audio I just super tune it and make it a fu
> ll beep dig type unit when using DD coils.
>
> To super tune it, put it in Disc mode and adjust t
> he threshold control on the back of the unit all t
> he way to max, then back it off just a little bit.
> It makes the all metal mode unusable and you lose
> modulation but it gives full audio to full detecti
> on depth of the coil.
>
> With concentric coils the audio give a lot of info
> rmation so I tend to not super tune concentrics.
> With the stock concentric coil, flip it to all met
> al and set the threshold normally so that the all
> metal mode is usable for pinpointing. Don't take
> it too low as it does affect the Disc audio. With
> the threshold set normal (faint buzz) you get full
> modulated audio and the full descriptive audio of
> the analog unit in Disc mode. Shallow is loud, d
> eep is soft. Round is crisp, not round is ratty.
> You'll see.
>
> The GSII is a dual tone model with a mixed tone wh
> ere the two tones meet. The tone break. So you g
> et a mid high tone and a high tone and where they
> meet is a mixed mid/high tone. You control the c
> onductive range of the mixed tone (tone break poin
> t) with the Notch control. You set the mixed ton
> e where you want it and the mid tone will be below
> that and the high tone will be above it. Since i
> ts an analog unit, the mix fades to both sides. M
> ore high tone to the mix on the high tone side and
> more mid tone mix to the mid tone side. You coul
> d call the mid tone side the low tone side but it
> isn't really a low tone at 600 Hertz....
>
> Anyway....you adjust your tone break point with th
> e Notch control. I typically set my tone break f
> or the old square tab. I'll still get some mix t
> one squeaking on a zinc cent but high conductors w
> ill sound solid toned. Nickels will stay solid to
> ned. In between targets will give a mixed audio,
> the degree of which is based upon how close they a
> re to the tone break mixed toned set point.
>
> If you want a single tone, you can set the Notch d
> ial at minimum and everything will give the high t
> one or you can set the Notch dial at Max and every
> thing will give the mid tone. Tone break is hand
> y and you use it where it helps you the most.
>
> It automatically has iron disc at minimum disc set
> ting so I always just leave Disc as minimum and di
> scriminate by the audio. Disc settings affect dep
> th so....forewarned is forearmed.
>
> Regards the Notch Accept and the Notch Reject, its
> a full range notch, so you can set it to only acce
> pt quarters and higher or you could set it to reje
> ct quarters and higher. Full range low to high wh
> ich is nice. The notch window itself is adjustab
> le via a pot on the board so you have the ability
> to define the size of the notch accept/reject wind
> ow if you so wish.
>
> Hope that helps.
> HH
> Mike

Thanks a lot for the detailed write up Mike. I’ll try those settings w my Pantera and see if I can tip the odds in my favor for some inland au.

Aaron
May 13, 2019 04:45PM
Hey Mike Hillis,

You're right! I went thru my Diaries (1986/7) toking for older "Gold Sabre" scribblings and didn't find any on it but did see where I had [ bought 3 Tesoros's ] in the one purchase which included a 'Cutlass', and a 'Royal' where I returned the Royal the following week but didn't have the reason noted? I did the same with another metered brown box job and can't remember the name of it just now?

But I now remember being able to adjust the Tone on the 'Royal' via the Notch control etc. Ahead of its time was that machine!