Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My First Ring!

Posted by stan524 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My First Ring!
June 04, 2011 01:14PM
Well I finally found my first ring today. A ladies class ring (class of 2011 which graduates next week) at my usual local beach in the dry sand. But life is funny. Turns out upon a quick look the ring turns out to belong to the daughter of someone we know here in town. Needless to say she was thrilled to find out I had found it. To make it that much more miraculous, I only was hunting the dry sand with my XLT becuase my sand shark is in the shop so no water hunting for now and I was jonesing for a hunt. When I find someones jewelry and can return it I never charge them and instead ask them to do one thing which is that sometime in the next week or so I ask that they perform a random act of kindness on a stranger in appreciation of their good fortune. Kind of a pay it forward concept. It could be paying a starngers toll, buying someones coffee, helping an elder person with something or simply volunteering for a day some where. They all seem to embrace the idea. I'll attached a picture when I can.
Re: My First Ring!
June 04, 2011 01:48PM
Now THAT'S a story to be told! Priceless!
June 04, 2011 02:22PM
I love the random act of kindness idea. Well you gave my weekend a great start –Thanks!

Jim
June 04, 2011 03:22PM
Your first ring won't be your last but maybe you should try parks and schools also great story what goes around comes around.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
June 05, 2011 02:42AM
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Touching!
June 05, 2011 03:22AM
When we were moving to our new home in another state, my large family stopped at a resturant for supper. When we were done the waitress said that the folks at another table paid for our meal. I never saw who the strangers were, but it was a great welcome to the wonderful state of Missouri, something that will never be forgot.
June 05, 2011 03:04PM
My first and only ring thus far turned out to be priceless. I was hunting in my deceased Grandparents front yard when I recovered a bent up sterling child's ring at ~4". I didn't think much of it at first as it was clearly not an expensive piece. Then I found out that it was my mother's when she was a little girl and she had lost it not too long after my Grandfather had given it to her.
Long story long, I managed to re-shape it and now it belongs to my daughter who would not part with it for anything.
To the rest of the world it is probably worth a couple of bucks but the memories that it brings back of my Papaw are, as I said to begin with, priceless.

Chris
June 05, 2011 11:11PM
Its a awesome feeling to return a lost valuble to someone.
Congrats!
Stan......Re: My First Ring!
June 06, 2011 04:42AM
Even though the movie brought the..........'pay it forward'........concept to the minds of many..............alot of us detectorists have followed that principle long before the movie was made. I like your philosophy on helping others.
June 06, 2011 07:07PM
Nice find and nicer gesture! All these little things we can do for others not only come back to us in one way or another, but they help promote the "good side" of our great hobby! (not that there's a bad side!) Great job!

Been swingin' a White's since the 70's - 5 machines, Currently an XLT & Fisher F75 LE - 50,000 finds, 30,000 (or so) keepers. Published in the White's catalog. Always looking for good/decent hunting buds! Get in touch!
June 06, 2011 07:19PM
Very cool story, very cool.

Steve
June 06, 2011 07:54PM
Met with the young lady today to give her the ring back. She had not even realized she had lost it until we contacted her. Found out that she is attending a school in Georgia to become a nurse to go to third world countries and help the less fortunate. Needless to say she will be paying it forward.
June 06, 2011 08:53PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2011 08:54PM by stan524.
June 06, 2011 08:56PM
My first and only ring thus far turned out to be priceless. I was hunting in my deceased Grandparents front yard when I recovered a bent up sterling child's ring at ~4". I didn't think much of it at first as it was clearly not an expensive piece. Then I found out that it was my mother's when she was a little girl and she had lost it not too long after my Grandfather had given it to her.
Long story long, I managed to re-shape it and now it belongs to my daughter who would not part with it for anything.
To the rest of the world it is probably worth a couple of bucks but the memories that it brings back of my Papaw are, as I said to begin with, priceless.

....AND A FAMILY HEIRLOOM IS BORN!!
June 07, 2011 03:43AM
Stan,

Be sure to get me a few more details (name and better pic) for newsletter. You're in the right club, we take returning jewelry very serious. Not only does it make you feel good and the person getting the jewelry very happy, but it shows the world that that, we in this hobby, are down right nice people and not the grave robbers some believe us to be.

Good find Stan!

Wally
June 07, 2011 12:56PM
Rookie mistake, will do Wally and yes I am in the right club. Great group of people!