Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sovereign iron explanation

Posted by verbious 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sovereign iron explanation
May 22, 2019 10:52AM
I recently picked up a Sovereign Elite. I recently did a test in my yard so I could simulate a coin near nails. I stuck a silver quarter in the hole at 5". The Elite in Auto sens and disc with 0 notch/disc barley sounded off on the quarter. Then I put 2 square nails in the hole below the coin. To my surprise, the elite blew my ears off with the sweet silver coin sound and correct VDI. So I moved the nails around and listened carefully to the response for each. Nail above masked the coin (as expected). My question is why the coin b barely was detected at 5" by itself, but blew my ears off when I added the nails below or even with the coin?
Re: Sovereign iron explanation
May 22, 2019 02:47PM
...where'd you get the 'square nails' and how "old" are they? Rusted / non-rusted? Size? etc etc...more details please.
May 22, 2019 03:23PM
This is one detector I wish I would have put the time in to learn. Once you learn it you can clean out a site. Had a friend who been using one since they first came out and He always made killer finds at hunted out sites.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2019 03:25PM by Harold,ILL..
May 22, 2019 03:53PM
IMHO, I believe that’s the case with any good machine. If you put the hours in and master it, a guy who really ((knows)) the nuances of his beep and dig Tesoro is gonna make consistently better finds than the guy who’s going from the latest flagship to another, never really mastering any of them.

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
May 22, 2019 03:57PM
I dug the square nails from another site. One was actually like new and the other was crusty. I realize that all of this stuff didn't age together and there was no iron Halo. I dug a signal that had nails in the hole and it got me curious about the iron masking so I did this scenario in my backyard. I hunt old cellar holes and farms and want to go back over then with the Sovereign.
May 22, 2019 03:58PM
I never had great success with the Sov for turf hunting, but for beach hunting it was great if you hunted in reverse discrimination.
May 22, 2019 04:27PM
I had 2 Sovereigns they were great for the beach and deep as well, found a hundred rings or so with them. But in iron trash the recovery is just too slow to compete with others like the Deus or Equinox. I have a relic site that I hunted for years with my Sovereigns and Explorers. I found a lot of good stuff. But then I got a Deus and took it over the same ground. Found 3 shield nickles, a few indians, 12 silver coins and numerous buttons and bullets I missed with the other machines. If you do use it in trashy sites you have to use a small coil and move at a snails pace working it from multiple directions. It's great in open areas though.
May 22, 2019 07:15PM
I opened it up and moved the jumper for silent search instead of threshold. I really wish I would've known about the Sovereign a long time ago.
May 24, 2019 02:52AM
verbious Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I opened it up and moved the jumper for silent sea
> rch instead of threshold. I really wish I would've
> known about the Sovereign a long time ago.

Which jumper?
May 24, 2019 11:14AM
Didnt i read somewhere one of the Nox engineers said the IM of the Sov would be like setting the Nox at IB6? I know setting the Explorer at about 22 was pretty close to the Sov as well. There are a couple of screw driver adjustments inside the Sov box. Ive seem some chatter about BBS maybe being used in combo with Xterra tech on a machine. Im no engineer ....... but BBS was and IS VERY good in and around salt water. We still have the Xcal.... even the Nox and CTX has a hard time competing with...... because it HATES iron and works....... and is MUCH quieter to use in the water. AND......they really kick butt in PP mode.... unlike some using AM they gain more depth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 11:22AM by dewcon4414.
May 24, 2019 03:48PM
3 'little known' facts on Sov's

1. They don't like 'freshly buried' targets - they react way better to 'long-buried' coins that have had a chance to interact with their surrounding soil, leaf mould, etc etc - called 'Halo Effect' So a small dime size coin can sound as broad as a cup while a large coin can sound like a saucer (In Disc mode / search mode)

2. The 'Sensitivity' knob has often been described as 'backwards' - clicked 'out of Auto', it is at its most sensitive: if it is all the way right it is at its least sensitive

3. The 'Off' knob aka Volume is the 'depth control' and for max depth has to be all the way Clockwise to the right

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2019 03:58PM by Des D.
May 24, 2019 04:43PM
4. With a 180 meter the Sovereign is a great nickel machine. It can tell a nickel from most trash including tabs like no other machine.

5. Goes back to number 1......it doesn't like freshly disturbed dirt like plowed or tossed fields.

6. Rumor has it the newly announced detector by Minelab will be a modern version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2019 12:39AM by goodmore.
May 24, 2019 09:02PM
A retired man's detector. Here I had to charge up every signal to see what it was really going to read as. I thought the charging ability was neat but I had no time for it.

HH
Mike
May 26, 2019 06:01AM
Mike, what’s “charge up” mean?

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 26, 2019 10:55AM
???maybe he means the wrist "wiggle???"

it'd be good if the original post writer could chime in also...