Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My deepest detector so far

Posted by SkiWhiz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My deepest detector so far
June 22, 2019 07:09PM
Received my DeepTech Vista Gold Gain from Richard at Backwoods Detectors (thanks Richard) yesterday, took it for a quick tryout today at a school ground. A couple targets I was going to give up on but dug down a few more scoops and up came a deep nickel and the other was a deep quarter. First detector that I have ever dug coins with as deep or deeper than my trowel. I didn't think anything could get better than the regular Vista Gold but the Gold Gain is deeper & more sensitive and it is a breeze to ground balance.
Re: My deepest detector so far
June 22, 2019 08:06PM
It's modulated audio response is top notch.

tabman
June 22, 2019 09:03PM
I have found the same thing with the Vista X, some targets almost gave up on, dug deeper until my pinpointer began to give a signal. Bingo it was a coin. This happened quite a few times, then came to the realization I better dig those signals. Not used to digging coin sized targets at that depth. Many were US copper wheaties, yeah we find them here in Canada, the US border is not that far away.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
June 22, 2019 09:57PM
How deep are we talking hear guys? So to give us a better idea Maybe a ball park number?
June 22, 2019 10:24PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How deep are we talking hear guys? So to give us a
> better idea Maybe a ball park number?

I use a White's DigMaster Digger, the blade is 7.25" not sure how long the handle is off the top of my head but will measure it and some of the coins were from the tip of the blade to the top of the handle.
June 22, 2019 10:38PM
The handle must be at least 4” long. So we are talking about digging 11+” for WHAT type of coin?
June 22, 2019 11:07PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
> The handle must be at least 4” long. So we are tal
> king about digging 11+” for WHAT type of coin?

I just measured my digger, total length is 12.5". I dug a clad quarter, clad dime, not sure on the nickel it fell out of my pocket in my car and didn't take time to look for it yet. I am using a 11" x 7.5" elliptical coil.
June 23, 2019 01:25AM
The clad dime was at 12.5"? That is deep in any ground. I do like the analog tones. I like the X just a little high for me new. Maybe if a used one hits the market I'll pick one up. Do they have transferable warranty?
June 23, 2019 01:51AM
Yes Steve the DeepTechs are very very deep.

Hard to believe a 30KHZ can get down in the ground like it does.And even loves big targets deep to boot!

The X is Crazy powerful even more umph than the VGG..I'm really impressed with what the X can do in iron and on depth..Really all I need.Im very happy with what its doing.

Never been a meter guy myself they just talk you out of digging things.

One thing you will find on the DeepTechs is the tone does not flop to iron at extreme depth if you have the ground balance set right on for soil.Even in harsh soil if its set neutral on ground balance (that is no tone change as you lower and raise the coils) the deepest of targets will come on nicely and accurately in terms of if its iron or not.

Its 21st century anlalog !!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 23, 2019 02:37AM
Keith- “Never been a meter guy myself they just talk you out of digging things.“.

Agreed, and that one of the reasons I believe people are finding more gold w the Tesoro’s.

Aaron

TARSACCI - “Digging deeper, BEHIND the competition!”
[forums.tarsaccisales.com]
June 23, 2019 01:05PM
So I take it that the idea here is....you don’t know just what you’re digging, but there seems to be an indication whether it’s iron or not? We all still have to obey the laws of physics here, and it seems HIGHLY unlikely that an 11x7.5 coil would detect a 12.5” clad dime under ANY circumstance. I’d have to see that one on film I suppose, or in person. If it sounds like I’m highly skeptical...I am, with all due respect!smiling smiley
June 23, 2019 01:09PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> The clad dime was at 12.5"? That is deep in any g
> round. I do like the analog tones. I like the X ju
> st a little high for me new. Maybe if a used one h
> its the market I'll pick one up. Do they have tran
> sferable warranty?

Harold, you either have some crazy sink rate where your at or that clad dime possibly was a victim of fill dirt...

Aaron

June 23, 2019 03:01PM
IDXMonster Wrote:
> So I take it that the idea here is....you don’t kn
> ow just what you’re digging, but there seems to be
> an indication whether it’s iron or not? We all sti
> ll have to obey the laws of physics here, and it s
> eems HIGHLY unlikely that an 11x7.5 coil would det
> ect a 12.5” clad dime under ANY circumstance. I’d
> have to see that one on film I suppose, or in pers
> on. If it sounds like I’m highly skeptical...I am,
> with all due respect!smiling smiley

I can understand being skeptical, I would be too. I don't post many good finds because I honestly don't find anything spectacular. I mainly hunt school grounds, I promise you that 2 or 3 of the coins that I dug were at the depth of my digger, I have nothing to gain by not telling the truth matter of fact I am a detector dealer and don't even sell the DeepTech brand and don't receive anything from the dealer or the company. They are expensive in my opinion but alot has to due to the shipping,etc. but if anyone is a beep & dig analog type person like I am they are worth every penny
June 23, 2019 05:25PM
Yeah if he had a meter on the unit or even the second disc like on the X and it was set to just accept the dime it would not dig it at that depth.It would hear it but lie to you.It would go iron tone on second disc and if it had a meter it would be reading maybe down like a nickle or possibly even lower.

On the X on my 10 inch dime I hit it on first disc nail reject fine in 5 F.e bar dirt but on second disc its iron tone.

If your looking for a dead on dime ID at 12.5" that's tough to do.Maybe a HOT CZ or Explorer with large coil in good dirt can?

Even the guys who dig deep silver with a Explorer Know the Visual ID is useless and go by a tone that is a little tighter crisper than a deep nail false or even hot rock ring.

I've dug deep coins for a long long time With a good many units.but on the deepies I've dug was what was left from the meter watchers.But I didnt really know if they were coins or other non ferrous items.

Deepest coin for size for Vs depth was years ago on a Island in the woods in South Carolina in a Camp.Bandido 2 Umax with 10.5 coil.I was on outskirts roaming and hit a small nail patch and slowed down .I was hunting all metal mode and cross checking each signal with disc on zero on 120 disc circuit.Nail's in all-metal will usually sound quick and wavy on threshold and a cross check of disc would confirm ..But I got a hit and it was ROUND in all-metal but way faint a disc cross check was a spit click report..where a nail would report as a harder crackle.Guy with me checked it with his DMC-2b with 8 inch and it was smooth on all metal channel and just a slight spit on the disc channel.I would think if we had meters both machines would of read it as foil target if it locked but I'm sure it would of bounced from say foil to iron on meter.Well it was a beautiful 63 Indian at a Great depth.He was in awe of the depth as was I but he marked his shovel on handle to measure it at home..I wont tell you how deep it was but it was deep.He said he would'nt of dug it but funny thing is after hearing it on his Nautilus headset I would of dug it .I had a nautilus too and knew what deep stuff sounded like on them and it said to me it was digable.

This why I love to use the DeepTechs they have All metal depth in disc mode or right there at it and the analog audio can talk to you in the faint reports.And in iron saturated sites the intermingles can really stand out for unmasking.

But no as far as IDing a foot deep dime accurately if it had the option on VGG and on the X (as it does have the option somewhat)pretty good chance it wont happen.

Steve does your VGG have the 11" round Bulldog as stock??Steve are you in milder dirt?These things can make it happen!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 23, 2019 05:30PM
My DeepTech Vista Gold with 11" x 7.5" coil clearly hits a 12" dime in my test garden using Boost mode and Two Tone. That's the deepest dime I have at the moment.

The soil is a yellowish clay commonly found in northern New England pine woods.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 05:49PM by Badger in NH.
June 23, 2019 05:44PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Yeah if he had a meter on the unit or even the sec
> ond disc like on the X and it was set to just acce
> pt the dime it would not dig it at that depth.It w
> ould hear it but lie to you.It would go iron tone
> on second disc and if it had a meter it would be r
> eading maybe down like a nickle or possibly even l
> ower.
>
> On the X on my 10 inch dime I hit it on first disc
> nail reject fine in 5 F.e bar dirt but on second
> disc its iron tone.
>
> If your looking for a dead on dime ID at 12.5" tha
> t's tough to do.Maybe a HOT CZ or Explorer with la
> rge coil in good dirt can?
>
> Even the guys who dig deep silver with a Explorer
> Know the Visual ID is useless and go by a tone tha
> t is a little tighter crisper than a deep nail fal
> se or even hot rock ring.
>
> I've dug deep coins for a long long time With a go
> od many units.but on the deepies I've dug was wh
> at was left from the meter watchers.But I didnt re
> ally know if they were coins or other non ferrous
> items.
>
> Deepest coin for size for Vs depth was years ago o
> n a Island in the woods in South Carolina in a Cam
> p.Bandido 2 Umax with 10.5 coil.I was on outskirts
> roaming and hit a small nail patch and slowed down
> .I was hunting all metal mode and cross checking e
> ach signal with disc on zero on 120 disc circuit.N
> ail's in all-metal will usually sound quick and w
> avy on threshold and a cross check of disc would c
> onfirm ..But I got a hit and it was ROUND in all-m
> etal but way faint a disc cross check was a spit c
> lick report..where a nail would report as a harder
> crackle.Guy with me checked it with his DMC-2b wit
> h 8 inch and it was smooth on all metal channel an
> d just a slight spit on the disc channel.I would t
> hink if we had meters both machines would of read
> it as foil target if it locked but I'm sure it wou
> ld of bounced from say foil to iron on meter.Well
> it was a beautiful 63 Indian at a Great depth.He w
> as in awe of the depth as was I but he marked his
> shovel on handle to measure it at home..I wont tel
> l you how deep it was but it was deep.He said he w
> ould'nt of dug it but funny thing is after hearing
> it on his Nautilus headset I would of dug it .I ha
> d a nautilus too and knew what deep stuff sounded
> like on them and it said to me it was digable.
>
> This why I love to use the DeepTechs they have All
> metal depth in disc mode or right there at it and
> the analog audio can talk to you in the faint repo
> rts.And in iron saturated sites the intermingles
> can really stand out for unmasking.
>
> But no as far as IDing a foot deep dime accurately
> if it had the option on VGG and on the X (as it do
> es have the option somewhat)pretty good chance it
> wont happen.
>
> Steve does your VGG have the 11" round Bulldog as
> stock??Steve are you in milder dirt?These things c
> an make it happen!
>
> Keith

Not sure how mild my ground is, never had a F75 to get a reading but I don't believe that the places that I hunt are very mineralized. I have the 11" x 7.5" elliptical coil, nothing wrong with the bulldog coil but I like this coil better. Would like to get the Super Six coil for it sometime.
June 23, 2019 05:56PM
I've got the Super Six (which is actually 8"). It gets almost the same depth as the 11" coil. Maybe 1/2" less.

I have yet to find any advantage in using the smaller coil. It doesn't seem to separate targets any better than the 11".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2019 06:00PM by Badger in NH.
June 23, 2019 08:01PM
Thanks Steve!

Yes the way the Vistas process all the info under the coil at once ((sort of Like a Deus but I like the analog audio better than the Deus)) the large coil does amazingly well at dissecting..Good observation Badger.

That was one thing I really noticed on the DT's and especially on the VGG and X is the large coils really can lock on to a target even when swamped with nails under the coil.

Its that bleedy blendy audio sort of just giving it a live raw feed.

I just pulled a huge poker chip ((made from a flattened minnie ball)l about size of silver dollar in a camp with the VGG last month or so ago and it was in a pile of iron.Walked over it for years and years but it just jumped out at me so clean on the Gain.I'd show it to you but by brother snatched it up for his Collection!!!

I dug a U.S buckle in a iron pit with the Gold that was swung over and over too.I mean big fat iron bolts plow points etc just heard that smooth hit down in all then flip flopping low high iron tones.Lots of things a analog unit can do for your audible senses that digital cant.Digital likes to make a decision on algorithms etc and its got to decide if its say iron or not and put it there in that category.a Analog is more free to move in between decisions.Its not boxed digital's have came along ways and the MakNoks are some of the best at conveying audio in a digital unit to date in my opinion but analog is still a apex design in alot of ways for the audiophile hunter.

That's one thing I might add on DeepTechs is their ability to grab targets out of big iron too, and the targets they grab may not be coin sized but buckle size and that always leaves you scratching your head.It can sift nails and it can sift big iron and make according to iron size same size non ferrous finds.Lots of big non ferrous laying in big iron spots.its jsut hard for a machine to decipher big iron from big non ferrous intelligently in the audio and even Visual I.D's.not so with the DT's

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
June 23, 2019 08:54PM
Bleedy, blendy - there you go again....lol

Funniest thing about Bruce Candy, his Halcro amplifiers predate (I think) his Minelab detector designs, but they cost EVEN MORE than they do!!! How about more than $18k for a stereo amplifier in 2004??

[www.stereophile.com]

No wonder the classic ML detectors had all those sounds!

I am absolutely convinced that the whole VDI business was a blind alley cooked up by US detector manufacturers who (quite reasonably) listended to their customers whose enjoyment of the hobby was increased by the ability to (sometimes or most of the time) to correctly figure out what kind of US coin lay buried beneath their coil before they dug it.

Well, th world i changing fast. We missed the boat in the US when a quarter (25¢) turned out to be the highest value modern coin we ever find. In addition, coins are disappearing in the rest of the world at a rapid rate. Electronic payment is many forms is making them obsolete.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 23, 2019 10:47PM
Hey Keith!!!

How many hours do you have on that X now?

Seems like your really at one with it.....

June 24, 2019 02:17AM
I know you’ve been around a long time Ski, as well as Keith and others. To be able to dig those kinds of depths is something I’m quite interested in, just for the fact that only those coins remain in almost all of my sites. Going and scooping clad isn’t my thing personally,I enjoy the challenge of a super deep coin. As much as I’d like to think I know quite a bit about deep coin hunting, there’s ALWAYS more to know, and if it can be done via a certain freq or with a certain machine...well...I’ll keep an eye on it. Shoot, I was skeptical of the Explorer...and then the CTX! Look where THAT got me. Lol! Seriously, I’m always looking to learn more, that’s why I read. Keep us posted as you have time...
June 24, 2019 10:41AM
IDXMonster Wrote:
> I know you’ve been around a long time Ski, as well
> as Keith and others. To be able to dig those kinds
> of depths is something I’m quite interested in, ju
> st for the fact that only those coins remain in al
> most all of my sites. Going and scooping clad isn’
> t my thing personally,I enjoy the challenge of a s
> uper deep coin. As much as I’d like to think I kno
> w quite a bit about deep coin hunting, there’s ALW
> AYS more to know, and if it can be done via a cert
> ain freq or with a certain machine...well...I’ll k
> eep an eye on it. Shoot, I was skeptical of the Ex
> plorer...and then the CTX! Look where THAT got me.
> Lol! Seriously, I’m always looking to learn more,
> that’s why I read. Keep us posted as you have time
> ...

If you were closer to me I would let you borrow it. Check out the video of the Gold Gain here it gives alittle idea of it's power. [www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 10:42AM by SkiWhiz.
June 24, 2019 05:01PM
Aaron Wrote:
> Hey Keith!!!
>
> How many hours do you have on that X now?
>
> Seems like your really at one with it.....

Lots of hours Aaron..well past 100 I'd say..I know I'm on my 5th set of batteries by subtracting from whats left in my 100 brick i bought.[www.amazon.com]

Yes FOR ME the X is really really MY FIT.Its just a classic feel with modern options added!So its a win win.

I like simple set up units hate to tweak and or program units.I just want to hunt and make finds but want to be able to know everything going on under the coil and this is perfect for ME..Its what I alway's wanted a Tejon to be and more!

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 05:03PM by Keith Southern.
June 24, 2019 05:06PM
Very nice Keith!

Keepin those batteries fresh huh? Dang!

And thanks for the batterie link!

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2019 05:10PM by Aaron.
July 04, 2019 10:38PM
Richard said that I could quote him on the Gold Gain so I decided that I would -
R
About the Gold Gain, I saw where some folks were critical of what you said about the depth on a coin at over 10 inches... You can quote me... I have a copper penny at 9.5" and the Gold got it, a White's MX Sport, a White's MX7 and I was able to raise the Gold Gain, 3 inches or more in the air and still get good audio on it..... I don't do BS, this is factual..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 03:26PM by SkiWhiz.
July 05, 2019 01:56AM
A Nautilus 2b or 2BA can reach a 12 inch coin every day of the week ! The most powerful deep machine I have ever used !
July 05, 2019 09:28AM
virginia digger Wrote:
> A Nautilus 2b or 2BA can reach a 12 inch coin ever
> y day of the week ! The most powerful deep machine
> I have ever used !

I have always found the Nautilus to be a mild/neutral soil unit both models i had did not go as deep as any of the Deeptech models in bad soil but 12 inch coins with the Nautilus in mild ground were easy targets
July 05, 2019 02:09PM
My plain old Vista Gold picks up a 12" silver dime in my test garden. The only other machines of mine that could get that coin are the T2 SE and the Equinox in Gold mode.

Edit - Oops, I forgot I said that earlier in this thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2019 05:04PM by Badger in NH.
July 05, 2019 04:44PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> I've got the Super Six (which is actually 8"). It
> gets almost the same depth as the 11" coil. Maybe
> 1/2" less.
>
> I have yet to find any advantage in using the smal
> ler coil. It doesn't seem to separate targets any
> better than the 11".

Badger,
I have the VGG and the bulldog coil, super six coil, and the 8" round solid coil. The 8" i have only used a couple times, the bulldog I have used by far the most, maybe 80 percent of the time, with the super six maybe 15 percent. In cut cornfields with a lot of rough stubble, I have been able to keep my gain higher while bumping the stalks with the super six. Also, in super wet sloppy puddles wet mud, the super six is a bit quieter with high settings for me..but usually the bulldog stayed on.

I got the 8" late spring most specifically for the corn stubble fields....so will see how that goes this fall, and hopefully stop getting hung up on stalks.
July 05, 2019 10:50PM
I've only recently acquired a Vista Warrior with a Super Six, a Pitbull, and an 8" concentric and have found it so far to be deep and quiet. I'm guessing the unique ground balance has a lot to do with it. Kind of like power balancing Tesoro only more accurate. The 8" goes seriously deep but of course less coverage. One thing I wish it had is a true no-motion pinpoint. Makes sizing and shaping targets easier. Otherwise an easy to learn, good performing machine that seems well built. Excited to do some actual relic hunting with it. We've had a lot of rain and I'm waiting for the Salt Fork of the Arkansas river to come down so I can cross it and get to my favorite general store site on the old Camp Supply trail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2019 01:46PM by dgerst.