Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Equinox owners - Question

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Minelab Equinox owners - Question
June 30, 2023 12:37AM
Adam......... your skillset/experience ....is 'showing' !!!

Yes...... your depth numbers sound rather exacting. Are you Beach Mode 1 or 2?
June 30, 2023 11:21AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Adam......... your skillset/experience ....is 'sho
> wing' !!!
>
> Yes...... your depth numbers sound rather exacting
> . Are you Beach Mode 1 or 2?

Beach 1. I am going to head to the beach later this morning when the tide gets lower to see how the machines compare in the wet sand. I'm really curious to see how dP plays out when I bury a target...well how it will for a fresh drop at least.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2023 11:23AM by adamBomb.
June 30, 2023 12:25PM
Adam.......... the thing about dp (and Prospecting Audio on Manticore) in wet-salt.... is............. you can easily tell the audio aberrations of the conditions of the beach. This.................in turn................. then allows you to run Sens a point or 2 higher on the unit. THIS is where the extra performance is gained! (And fairly easily!).
June 30, 2023 04:00PM
NASA TOM
Adam.......... the thing about dp (and Prospecting Audio on Manticore) in wet-salt.... is............. you can easily tell the audio aberrations of the conditions of the beach. This.................in turn................. then allows you to run Sens a point or 2 higher on the unit. THIS is where the extra performance is gained! (And fairly easily!).

Absolutely! I can't wait to start using this. Reminds me of autotune on my CZ21!

The beach test. I buried a quarter and put both machines on beach 1 and bumped the sens to 22. Quarter was taped to a wooden ruler so that it was flat on the sand.

Nox600 (5 tone):

10" - Solid target with ID
12" - Nothing.

Nox700 (5 tone):

12" - Solid target with ID
14" - Light beep no id. I wouldn't hit this.

Nox700 (dP):

12" - Solid target with ID
14" - Solid target with ID
15" - Solid target with ID

I didn't go further but as you can see for a buried recent drop, dP hits the hardest. The craziest part was seeing the nox 600 just not hit the 12" target at all but the 700 smacking it no problem. Wonder if its a more powerful processor, better emi handling, tweaks to the settings from this past gen, etc....Next up for me is testing the nox700 modes, sens, etc. on the beach as I detect.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2023 04:59PM by adamBomb.
July 01, 2023 12:32AM
Good report!

We've done a few things to the EQX-700/900 platform!...... as you can see/witness.
July 02, 2023 03:22AM
My impression from what Tom had said before was that depth improvement with the 700/900 was the result of slightly improved emi mitigation. Adam's numbers suggest there's a good bit more going on under the hood to affect depth.
July 02, 2023 01:48PM
Yes. On the beach......... "dp" allows you to bump Sens up a couple more points. Quite a bit can be gained from this.
July 03, 2023 03:11AM
Adam's numbers show a significant depth increase, using an equal sensitivity setting, in 5 tone and all tones with the 700 compared to the 600. Assuming his numbers are accurate, that's more than just depth improvement from EMI mitigation.
July 03, 2023 12:57PM
Can I assume the article:
"When ADJUSTABLE Iron Discrimination is Paramount
By: Thomas Dankowski
January 2011." Is not fully correct with the Equinox and a carpet of nails?

I caught myself doing something over the weekend that to me is a very common occurrence.
Went back to an old plantation with both the Tarsacci and the Equinox with the 10x5 Nox coil. At this site we have yet to find any relics (except square nails) that would date the site to mid 1800's or earlier. Some areas are completely covered with square nails, so much the detector sounds like a machine gun while swing the coil. Desiring to find something that day I hurried to a quieter location on the property and started to hunt. A few minutes later the thought came to me, "You purposely moved from an area loaded with nails to a quieter location to hunt". How many other hunters have done the same thing? Avoid the hard hunting!
Ended up digging several square nails and took them home as relics found. The next day I decided to clean some of the rust from the nails and meditated on the what/where and depth found of the nails.

I had been digging anything that would give any kind of a high tone and found these nails at +4" deep.
What I surmised:
Most of all the items we have found have been less than 5" deep which includes some wheat pennies and a couple silver dimes from the 40's.
Since the nails are deeper I'm going to step out on a limb and state the older relics at this site will also be as deep or deeper than the nails recovered.
No doubt each of the nails have a rust halo (100+ years in the ground) which would prevent any detector from locating a non ferrous target, either co-located or deeper.
I sent my hunting buddy a message sharing my thought but he wants to write off the property figuring someone else has already found the older relics we were searching for in the first place. But I can't believe anyone could find everything with so many nails remaining in the ground.
I'm thinking about taking both the Equinox and the Fisher F75 with the smaller coil and purposely look for the solid hit nails, even the false high tones I would not normally dig. Seems to me the mid tones are not as affected by the nails because I've dug a few 22 shell casing mingled amongst the nails which gave a fairly solid mid tone audio.
Since the nails were at a certain depth, maybe the relics are there too, if there are any relics to be found..
July 03, 2023 01:01PM
And......... there's hardly any EMI on the beach....anyway.
EQX 700/900: Sensitivity has been somewhat rescaled.......and a little 'differently' from 600/800.
July 03, 2023 01:12PM
Mark......... that is a VERY, VERY valid point. When nails 'false'........ they will usually false: High-Tone. This is ALSO to implicate........ nails rarely false to: Mid-Tone. This is ALSO to say: genuine Mid-Tone targets ....will still ID as a Mid-Tone........as long as they are not fatally masked.
When you dig the mid-tones....... YES........they will help date the era of the site.

The area may have been hunted by others before....... but ........ most-probably NOT dissected! (((Truthfully....... others probably RAN AWAY from this location))).
July 03, 2023 01:29PM
Also........ it is a guarantee that: there are non-ferrous targets residing with the carpets of nails. Yes...... old relics. At the same depth of the nails...... and also at deeper depths.
There are even deeper nails...... that are being masked by shallower nails. (((Even though this is unimportant; it still validates that shallower nails are ALSO masking deeper non-ferrous relics))).
July 06, 2023 01:18PM
Have your beach settings changed from the 600/800 to the 700/900?

I've got about 15 hrs now on my 700 and have noticed that I have to be in Beach 2 on the wet sand whereas on my 600, Beach 1 worked great. I am getting lots of falsing on beach 1 as soon as I get the high tide line. Otherwise my other settings have remained the same except for my tone (dP).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2023 02:25PM by adamBomb.
July 10, 2023 01:10AM
Try Ground Balancing (coil pumping method).....with about 1/4" of saltwater under the coil. Ground Balance is important for wet-salt hunting.

I am (exclusively) hunting the wet-salt with Manticore & M8 coil........ in Beach Low Conductors Mode.