Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How popular is the Equinox 800?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How popular is the Equinox 800?
November 24, 2019 12:14PM
I went on a group hunt yesterday with around 20 detectorist. I took a count of detectors I saw. 1 Ctx, 1 E Trac, 1 At Max, 3 Deus, and one kid had a Tesoro. The rest of the field was swinging the Equinox. Have you guys been on a group hunt and seen the same thing?
Re: How popular is the Equinox 800?
November 24, 2019 12:32PM
Every time I go to the beach it’s a group hunt lol. The biggest number is Nox.... Xcal with a sighting of a few ATs and the Ace. Not seen a CZ or a PI since the Nox came out. Both the Nox and Xcal are very good recent drop machines for a salt water beach. I feel like I have the advantage of The Xcal, Nox and a PI having the MDT for my area. Depth.... silent running.... and simplicity of use.
November 24, 2019 02:11PM
9 out of 10 detectors on the beaches up here are Equinoxes. I think the main reason is the weight. Before the Equinox, Explorer/E-Trac was top dog, with a few CTX's and the occasional Excal or CZ20. All very heavy machines.

The majority of serious land hunters in New England probably have Equinoxes now, but there are many lightweight land machines that compete on the same level so there is less need to buy one.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 02:30PM by Badger in NH.
November 24, 2019 02:40PM
The majority of UK digs are dominated predominately by the Equinox,Deus comes 2nd although the Deus held the No1 crown for many years.........one brand you rarely see these days are Garrett the most popular model within than brand must the ACE25 but rarely the AT Pro or variations as the Equinox and the Deus must account for 85% of detector sales.
November 24, 2019 02:53PM
Yup, it's the Nox. I remember a time, 20-ish yr. ago, where .... in any CA group outing .... you'd see a variety of Garretts, Fishers, and Whites, and *maybe* a single Minelab, at any group outing. Then magically, a few years later (2003-ish), when the same group of hunters assembled, it was 90% Minelab Explorers !! Because they had each individually seen their prior generation/brands/models utterly spanked. And had each quietly gone out and bought an Explorer for themselves. Doh !

Is "spanked" the reason for the predominance of Nox now seen @ any event ? I dunno. Because there's also the psychology of .... once a brand has ascended to-the-top, that .... naturally .... everyone will just assume that the latest roll-out "must be better yet". I would certainly like to see if the "latest roll-out" spanks what I'm using.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 02:55PM by Tom_in_CA.
November 24, 2019 03:21PM
It's not that way here. I hunt with a group of 8 guys, not mainstream hunters all relic guys. Main machines used are 2 Equinoxes, 1 Whites MXT, 3 Deus, 1 CTX and 1 Explorer. 4 of us also use PI's quite often as well.

The club I belong to which most of the above guys don't, mainly use Whites detectors. I rarely see anyone swinging a Garret around here. Lots of guys using etrac and CTX's at the parks. I do see a few guys with Equinoxes on the local Facebook page though.
OBN
November 24, 2019 03:49PM
Same here in Maryland, club meetings I would say about half own the Nox, the other half are just old and dedicated to there favorite. In the water I'm seeing lots of new faces a long with the regulars who have switched to the Nox, with so many new hunters and the regulars there can be 15 out on any given weekend during the summer. (Sand and in the water..2/3 being Nox's) I do know they are getting the smaller gold chains along with a few gold rings, last I heard one hunter had 9 gold for the year with his Nox. Which is very good for the bay.

Why so many..........I think the reason is it's a great machine, very affordable, light weight and the internet is on fire with it,

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
November 24, 2019 04:17PM
I use to be brand loyal to whites. Weight,seperation, and response time led me to explore. Nox is now my choice and the choice of most in my area. I will say competition hunting has a stronger Whites and Garrett showing but forthat I use the orx.Coil size preference is why I don't use the nox .
November 24, 2019 05:05PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yup, it's the Nox. I remember a time, 20-ish yr
> . ago, where .... in any CA group outing .... you'
> d see a variety of Garretts, Fishers, and Whites,
> and *maybe* a single Minelab, at any group outing.
> Then magically, a few years later (2003-ish), when
> the same group of hunters assembled, it was 90% Mi
> nelab Explorers !! Because they had each individ
> ually seen their prior generation/brands/models ut
> terly spanked. And had each quietly gone out and
> bought an Explorer for themselves. Doh !
>
> Is "spanked" the reason for the predominance of No
> x now seen @ any event ? I dunno. Because there'
> s also the psychology of .... once a brand has asc
> ended to-the-top, that .... naturally .... everyon
> e will just assume that the latest roll-out "must
> be better yet". I would certainly like to see if
> the "latest roll-out" spanks what I'm using.

With the exception of the open ended turf duel you seek, I think I've already witnessed the EQX spank you, more than once.

Certainly at a minimum equal the mighty EXP2 on almost every relic/demo hunt, and if it can simply do that, it's already a superior machine IMO due to all the other advantages it has, but you already know that.

As for turf, best of luck finding someone with equal turf experience on their EQX to match your EXP2 turf experience. It's not anyone that we know out here, but I welcome someone with EQX turf skill of the likes of Steve (either Steve) has to put your endless Equinox banter to rest. You could always send one of your EXP2's to Calabash to test in his test garden he makes most of his duel videos from thumbs down
November 24, 2019 05:19PM
I thought ole clalabash already beat up on the Explorers?
November 24, 2019 05:30PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> I thought ole clalabash already beat up on the Explorers?

Did he? I guess that wouldn't be enough, Tom has to experience it for himself?
November 24, 2019 05:41PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> D&P-OR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I thought ole clalabash already beat up on the E
> xplorers?
>
> Did he? I guess that wouldn't be enough, Tom has
> to experience it for himself?

Send Tom over there Brian.----Those two need to get together!grinning smiley
November 24, 2019 05:55PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> -----
> > D&P-OR Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > I thought ole clalabash already beat up on the
> E
> > xplorers?
> >
> > Did he? I guess that wouldn't be enough, Tom ha
> s
> > to experience it for himself?
>
>
> Send Tom over there Brian.----Those two need to get together!grinning smiley

That would be a hoot thumbs down
November 24, 2019 06:07PM
In my area there was a group of several guys that I would consider to be serious hunters. Not just a Johnny come lately that hunts once or twice a year. When the Nox first came out and was hard to get...these guys all were on the list to get one. It became a competition to see who would get one first. Then after that died down, everyone had one. And for various reasons, the guys just quit hunting all together. Sold all their gear, relics, coins, etc and got into other hobbies. Of the group, I'm the only one left with a detector and even I don't hunt as much as I use to.

The popularity of this machine has Indeed caused some jealousy amongst other manufacturers and their fan bases. During the advertising campaign, they made some folks mad by using the "obsolete" term and they immediately jumped on the "never Nox" train and wanted/want nothing more than for it to flop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2019 06:32PM by Daniel Tn.
November 24, 2019 06:10PM
At a dig a few months back limited to 100 detectorists, a few Garrett's, a couple of GM's, Deus, but the vast majority were swinging the Equinox.
I think the popularity of the machine has ruffled many feathers. Minelab say it's probably been the best seller of all time, but I'd question that.
November 24, 2019 10:11PM
On our digs we get between 50 - 70 people and out of those the Deus is still (just) the most popular Nox a closing second then the rest are Ace 250,Makro Racer,Nokta Multi Kruzer a few CTX the odd Fisher (very out of fashion now) and the odd Golden Mask the ones i do not see (well maybe a couple a year) are any Whites Tesoro T2
November 24, 2019 10:20PM
Around here the Garretts are still the most popular by a wide margin, though more people are starting to pick up the Nox. Still quite a few Tesoros, a Deus or two, an occasional Whites or Fisher.

-Ken
November 24, 2019 10:40PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>.... I think I've already witnessed the EQX spank
> you, more than once.

Actually, your next statement is more correct :

> Certainly at a minimum equal the mighty EXP2 on al
> most every relic/demo hunt,

If we were to keep tallies of all our hunts, *on average* it has been, at best, as you say .... equal. I could remind you of many times I had the lead on targets at various hunt sites/trips. Yes, having a lighter machine, water-proof, and something that can, in a pinch , find micro-jewelry , is a benefit.
November 25, 2019 03:01AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> -----
> >.... I think I've already witnessed the EQX spank
> > you, more than once.
>
>
> Actually, your next statement is more correct :
>
>
> > Certainly at a minimum equal the mighty EXP2 on
> al
> > most every relic/demo hunt,
>
> If we were to keep tallies of all our hunts, *on a
> verage* it has been, at best, as you say .... equa
> l. I could remind you of many times I had the
> lead on targets at various hunt sites/trips. Yes
> , having a lighter machine, water-proof, and somet
> hing that can, in a pinch , find micro-jewelry , i
> s a benefit.

With a few exceptions where I wasn't dialed in or whatever, which you too have had a few problematic hunts, so we'll discard those everyone had those days, but I cannot think of any time that you've "spanked" me relic hunting when I had the Equinox, and definitely not the Racer/MMK for sure. I can certainly look back at our tallies, but instead of wasting time on that, lets see how our Dec/Jan trip goes smileys with beer
November 25, 2019 03:29AM
Brian,

I appreciate the compliment, but I really don't belong on any "short list" of detectorists -- even if you limit that list to just those swinging Equinoxes. The only two things I have "going for me," that might meet Tom_in_CA's criteria, are that I have had one for a "relatively" long time (I got one out of the "first batch" -- Feb. 2018), and then, aside from one Civil-War relic hunt, I've have applied it exclusively in the task of searching turf for deep, old coins.

But even with that said, I don't have as many hours on the Equinox as some others I know, AND, I'm really just a "decent" detectorist, with just an "average" amount of experience overall (I really didn't start taking the hobby seriously until late 2010). I've said it before, Tom's two decades of experience on his Explorer alone, render me a relative novice.

And that's not to mention the "other" Steve's four-plus decades of expertise! My name really doesn't belong in this conversation -- but thank you, for the kind words!

Steve

Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> -----
> > Yup, it's the Nox. I remember a time, 20-ish
> yr
> > . ago, where .... in any CA group outing .... yo
> u'
> > d see a variety of Garretts, Fishers, and Whites
> ,
> > and *maybe* a single Minelab, at any group outin
> g.
> > Then magically, a few years later (2003-ish), wh
> en
> > the same group of hunters assembled, it was 90%
> Mi
> > nelab Explorers !! Because they had each indiv
> id
> > ually seen their prior generation/brands/models
> ut
> > terly spanked. And had each quietly gone out a
> nd
> > bought an Explorer for themselves. Doh !
> >
> > Is "spanked" the reason for the predominance of
> No
> > x now seen @ any event ? I dunno. Because ther
> e'
> > s also the psychology of .... once a brand has a
> sc
> > ended to-the-top, that .... naturally .... every
> on
> > e will just assume that the latest roll-out "mus
> t
> > be better yet". I would certainly like to see
> if
> > the "latest roll-out" spanks what I'm using.
>
> With the exception of the open ended turf duel you
> seek, I think I've already witnessed the EQX spank
> you, more than once.
>
> Certainly at a minimum equal the mighty EXP2 on al
> most every relic/demo hunt, and if it can simply d
> o that, it's already a superior machine IMO due to
> all the other advantages it has, but you already k
> now that.
>
> As for turf, best of luck finding someone with equ
> al turf experience on their EQX to match your EXP2
> turf experience. It's not anyone that we know out
> here, but I welcome someone with EQX turf skill of
> the likes of Steve (either Steve) has to put your
> endless Equinox banter to rest. You could always
> send one of your EXP2's to Calabash to test in his
> test garden he makes most of his duel videos from
> thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2019 03:38AM by steveg.
November 25, 2019 03:41AM
Hi Steve,

I hear you, but you have focused specifically on using the EQX for turf hunting, whereas I have not, nor have I met anyone else that's taken the time to do so. I really don't enjoy turf hunting, just don't enjoy the crowds and lookie lous, especially not since gravitating to relic hunting, I mean why knock yourself silly to dig a merc or tens wheaties when you can be digging seateds, cool relics and a much higher probability of digging gold coins. I like old park scrapes, but that's more like relic hunting then hunting a trashing park trying to cherry pick deep silver. Deep turf cherry picking is a sport and skill set all unto itself.

HH,
Brian

steveg Wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I appreciate the compliment, but I don't belong on
> any "short list" of detectorists -- even just thos
> e swinging Equinoxes! The only two things I have
> going for me, that might meet Tom's criteria, are
> that I have had one since they were released (Feb.
> 2018), and aside from one Civil-War relic hunt, I'
> ve used it 100% of the time searching turf for dee
> p, old coins.
>
> Even with that said, I don't have as many hours on
> it as some others I know, AND, I'm really just a "
> decent" detectorist. I've said it before, Tom's t
> wo decades of experience on his Explorer make me l
> ook like not much more than a novice...
>
> But thank you, for the kind words!
>
> Steve
November 25, 2019 04:38AM
Not to mention, with every update to the Equinox, it has been like learning a new detector all over again. The latest one with the new FE adjustments has made it into a whole new detector in itself. I actually had been running the first version up until about October when I downloaded the latest one and still am playing around with the new settings. I've seen enough that I'm almost to the point of selling my CTX and just getting another MTD 8000 to replace it....and having a real 1-2 punch.
November 25, 2019 05:13AM
Brian,

Fair enough; I agree that deep coin hunting in parks, etc. is it's own little "sliver" of the hobby!

Trust me, I prefer digging OLD coins -- as old as I can get. Usually, as you noted, that means a more "relicy" site -- which is fine with me. Problem is, here in "young" Oklahoma, it's really tough to find such old sites. Back in Pennsylvania, where I grew up, hunting for the old coins often does mean it's a pseudo relic-type hunt, and I really enjoy that. BUT -- in the absence of any opportunity for the types of sites that might hold Bust/Seated/Spanish coins, chasing silver coins in parks is something I do enjoy.

Steve

Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I hear you, but you have focused specifically on u
> sing the EQX for turf hunting, whereas I have not,
> nor have I met anyone else that's taken the time t
> o do so. I really don't enjoy turf hunting, just
> don't enjoy the crowds and lookie lous, especially
> not since gravitating to relic hunting, I mean why
> knock yourself silly to dig a merc or tens wheatie
> s when you can be digging seateds, cool relics and
> a much higher probability of digging gold coins.
> I like old park scrapes, but that's more like reli
> c hunting then hunting a trashing park trying to c
> herry pick deep silver. Deep turf cherry picking
> is a sport and skill set all unto itself.
>
> HH,
> Brian
>
> steveg Wrote:
> -----
> > Brian,
> >
> > I appreciate the compliment, but I don't belong
> on
> > any "short list" of detectorists -- even just th
> os
> > e swinging Equinoxes! The only two things I hav
> e
> > going for me, that might meet Tom's criteria, ar
> e
> > that I have had one since they were released (Fe
> b.
> > 2018), and aside from one Civil-War relic hunt,
> I'
> > ve used it 100% of the time searching turf for d
> ee
> > p, old coins.
> >
> > Even with that said, I don't have as many hours
> on
> > it as some others I know, AND, I'm really just a
> "
> > decent" detectorist. I've said it before, Tom's
> t
> > wo decades of experience on his Explorer make me
> l
> > ook like not much more than a novice...
> >
> > But thank you, for the kind words!
> >
> > Steve
November 25, 2019 07:52AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Not to mention, with every update to the Equinox, it has been like learning a new detector all over again. The latest one with the new FE adjustments has made it into a whole new detector in itself.

I need to load the new code, the EQX is definitely not turning out to be a set it and forget it detector, but that's a good thing IMO thumbs down

I'm pleased to see Minelab taking the ability to update the EQX firmware seriously. On previous ML models it was never really used to do more than fix a few bugs, but now we're seeing actual feature enhancements, and new features, while other detector vendors (cough cough FTP) simply roll another rehash with a confusing name modification as a "new" machine eye rolling smiley Minelabs doing it the way it should be done smileys with beer
November 25, 2019 08:08AM
Hi Steve,

Sure I understand. It's not that I don't enjoy the turf sport, I just don't enjoy being the "spectacle" in the park, for me it's not relaxing, so I don't focus on it. I guess if I were really plugged into it, able to go when I wanted, I could work around the crowds and hone in on the art of deep turf hunting.

I just need to retire for that luxury in life haha thumbs down

steveg Wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Fair enough; I agree that deep coin hunting in parks, etc. is it's own little "sliver" of the hobby!
>
> BUT -- in the absence of any opportunity for the types of sites that might hold Bust/Seated/Spanish coins, chasing silver coins in parks is something I do enjoy.
>
> Steve
>
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
> -----
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > I hear you, but you have focused specifically on
> u
> > sing the EQX for turf hunting, whereas I have no
> t,
> > nor have I met anyone else that's taken the time
> t
> > o do so. I really don't enjoy turf hunting, jus
> t
> > don't enjoy the crowds and lookie lous, especial
> ly
> > not since gravitating to relic hunting, I mean w
> hy
> > knock yourself silly to dig a merc or tens wheat
> ie
> > s when you can be digging seateds, cool relics a
> nd
> > a much higher probability of digging gold coins.
> > I like old park scrapes, but that's more like re
> li
> > c hunting then hunting a trashing park trying to
> c
> > herry pick deep silver. Deep turf cherry pickin
> g
> > is a sport and skill set all unto itself.
> >
> > HH,
> > Brian
> >
> > steveg Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > Brian,
> > >
> > > I appreciate the compliment, but I don't belon
> g
> > on
> > > any "short list" of detectorists -- even just
> th
> > os
> > > e swinging Equinoxes! The only two things I h
> av
> > e
> > > going for me, that might meet Tom's criteria,
> ar
> > e
> > > that I have had one since they were released (
> Fe
> > b.
> > > 2018), and aside from one Civil-War relic hunt
> ,
> > I'
> > > ve used it 100% of the time searching turf for
> d
> > ee
> > > p, old coins.
> > >
> > > Even with that said, I don't have as many hour
> s
> > on
> > > it as some others I know, AND, I'm really just
> a
> > "
> > > decent" detectorist. I've said it before, Tom
> 's
> > t
> > > wo decades of experience on his Explorer make
> me
> > l
> > > ook like not much more than a novice...
> > >
> > > But thank you, for the kind words!
> > >
> > > Steve
November 25, 2019 08:38AM
I love it for old silver on pasture.

Old silver [imgur.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2019 08:40AM by ghound.
November 25, 2019 01:39PM
As popular as the Nox is, I was the only Nox user at a club hunt this past Saturday. 23 members showed up and I saw about 3 White's, an ORX, a couple of Tesoros, about 9 Garretts and the rest were an assortment of different Minelabs. Kinda weird as in another local club I belong too there's at least 8 or 10 Noxs. Well , like they say "you can lead a horse to water" .
Brian - Sounds like Tom is beginning to get a little more flexible. I heard things like "equal to".
November 25, 2019 04:54PM
Tom Slick Wrote:

> Brian - Sounds like Tom is beginning to get a little more flexible. I heard things like "equal to"

When his resource of spare Explorer2 parts dries up....what will he switch to? An Etrac? .
November 25, 2019 05:02PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> Tom Slick Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Brian - Sounds like Tom is beginning to get a li
> ttle more flexible. I heard things like "equal to"
>
> When his resource of spare Explorer2 parts dries u
> p....what will he switch to? An Etrac? .

That might be Brian.----And then a light bulb will REALLY go off for him!grinning smiley