Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Caretakers words of wisdom:

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Caretakers words of wisdom:
July 06, 2011 04:09PM
" I have the best detector as I like it " sure covers a lot of ground and we talk about the deepest, fastest, user friendy,lightest etc. etc. and I would like to add to these words of wisdom with ( It sure works for me) so the next time you think of getting the next best thing to sliced bread detectorwise put yours under the bed and be my guest and venture into a new detector and lets see what happens and methinks your old favorite won't gather much dust..
PS: Trying the newest technology seems to be part of the hobby and certainly your attitude may change but don't get rid of old Betsy until you find something more to your liking....and usually an ardent detectorists has at least two detectors in his arsenal..
Re: Caretakers words of wisdom:
July 06, 2011 04:40PM
Or maybe even a dozen...
July 06, 2011 11:24PM
The problem ive seen is there has to be more advances in tech otherwise you are just buying another detector just like the one under your bed. You may get more bells and a lot of soap box reviews tempting you to spend your hard earned cash.... but it is what it is just more expensive. I waiting on someone to raise the bar with a water proof PI with disc we can use in a park effectively.

Dew
July 07, 2011 07:59AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> " I have the best detector as I like it " sure
> covers a lot of ground and we talk about the
> deepest, fastest, user friendy,lightest etc. etc.
> and I would like to add to these words of wisdom
> with ( It sure works for me) so the next time you
> think of getting the next best thing to sliced
> bread detectorwise put yours under the bed and be
> my guest and venture into a new detector and lets
> see what happens and methinks your old favorite
> won't gather much dust..
> PS: Trying the newest technology seems to be part
> of the hobby and certainly your attitude may
> change but don't get rid of old Betsy until you
> find something more to your liking....and usually
> an ardent detectorists has at least two detectors
> in his arsenal..

"first and foremost" "old betsy" is to be revered,and the reasoning is,
YOU KNOW IT! in order for your "new" detector purchase to become a "valuable" tool for you,
you must also "KNOW IT TOO! if you are constantly selling,and buying,how can one possibly KNOW IT,
if time is NOT allotted to understanding the various units purchased? "first and foremost" learn the unit purchased,AND justify the money spent.
just my 2 memorials.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
July 07, 2011 11:56AM
J.T..... i hear you about getting to know your detector. My advice to anyone has always been.... never sell a detector until its paid for itself. At that point you have an idea if its for you and have a better working knowledge of how it works... or not.

Dew
July 07, 2011 03:58PM
Thats just plain foolishness, only buying one and learning it at the exclusion of all the other nice units out there. eye rolling smiley

You buy and try to check out the new feature sets, or the expanded discrimination range, or the latest audio changes, or the new handgrip, and then you repeat a few you've already had but liked but sold to check out another one.

Just keep your favorite and check out all the rest and see if you can find another favorite.

Thats my nickel.
HH
Mike
July 07, 2011 06:50PM
heh! heh! heh!..as YOU stated!..it's YOUR nickle!
good luck with that!..ya gotta learn 'em ,not JUST play with 'em!
sorry! i can't agree! what's the point of buying them,NOT learning them,
selling them,losing a "s**t load" of dough! .again! as you stated! it's YOUR nickle!
just sayin!

(h.h!)
j.t.
July 07, 2011 06:55PM
in addendum!..IF you made the "correct" purchase initially
you would not have to continually "buy" every detector on the market to find the correct one!
read!,read!,read!..try! try! try! talk! talk! talk!..but DON'T buy! buy! buy! .ehe! heh! heh!
just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
July 07, 2011 09:48PM
few things to add, I would never sell any of my machines, I have given them away to people that want to try the hobby, my machines are usually paid off with the clad I find in less than a year, after selling a lot of my gold and silver, they were all paid off, but they were paid off well before then, I eat, dream and crap metal detecting, every conversation I have finally ends with detecting and it drives my family nut and everyone else, I've been detecting for 12 years now and have detected alone 99% of the time due to my life style dealing with my daughter, my biggest recommendation and I'm no expert, is be patient, it will come to you , what ever you are looking for and learn, by reading, talking and going to detecting hunts, shows and seminars, you will never learn everything, and have FUN
July 07, 2011 11:07PM
Man Mike.... i know why the detector companies just put a bell or two on them now and get people to chat them up. It IS your nickel but mine comes a little harder than yours apparently. A lot of people lost the fast technology that comes out daily... computer, phones, IPOD and game stations. I enjoy the new stuff too, but has anyone taken a look at the money they put out in a year to hook these items up? Crazy. I guess im an old dog... i like new, but not everytime something comes out. Its just not practical for me yet Besides .... im married and we do talk about these kind of transactions..... its much cheaper than divorce lol.

Dew
July 08, 2011 03:15AM
One other consideration may be to see if a detecting buddy will let you swing his machine (the one that happens to seem to beat you all the time with finds) and see if the magic is really there for you. If you are fortunate to have a club nearby, see if you might go out with a club member for a hunt and switch machines for a few hours. Or possibly head down to your local detector store and see what they have in the demo and used inventory section. For a few $ rental you might get to play with it for a weekend. Locally in Florida we have Kellyco and they do have machines available for rental as an example.