Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The start of a perfect detector

Posted by Sam63 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The start of a perfect detector
July 07, 2011 07:30AM
Carbon fiber shaft and housing,weather and water proof,large lcd screen that swivles side to side for better line to site,back lite,green lite,better seen at nite,wireless head phones,selectable frequencies whether its one or fifty, boost mode,wide iron descrimination,user tone setting for targets,we all hear different,an included 3 coil 5in,8in and 11in tuned to detector,glare resistant screen cover for lcd.just a starting point for a better more user friendly detector.all ideas welcom and thanks for a great forum Tom!
Re: The start of a perfect detector
July 07, 2011 01:38PM
I like the idea of a large screen with tall images for one and since we want to continue I would guess would add weighting and ergonomics as if its not comfortable its not for me...Come on forum members the subject is open for your ideas...Yep Tom great forum and I like the idea its not brand specific...
July 07, 2011 02:32PM
No screen no cables, totally wireless. Two knobs, senss and disc, monotone.

I allready have one XP ADX 150 : )
July 07, 2011 03:06PM
Just give me deep depth, stable VDI and the best way to unmask and really help tell trash from gold.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
July 07, 2011 05:17PM
Always liked the idea of a swivel head, Sam. Super duper fast (for unmasking) and deep (12" easy on a 3 cent silver in the ground). Light and well ballanced. Waterproof. Frequencies of choice with a big range and or multiple. Long warrantee. Durable. Easy to read screen. Nice pleasant tones that are easily distinguishable. Wireless. More than one number to I.D target. What more can I ask? Oh yea, inexpensive.
July 07, 2011 06:29PM
One of the following would be great, though we are damn near close.

Give me a deeper seeking Deus with more analysis tools and multiple frequencies. I think something like a Dues/E-trac/V3i machine.

Give the V3i more simplicity (VX3?) but the lightness of a Deus - wire to the coil is ok, but as others have said, wireless headphones for sure, which it has.

Give the minelab faster recovery speed and a lighter package and it's also a winner.

Overall, some ideas would include:

Multiple or individual frequencies.
Large display, color is nice (LCD technology saves on the batteries), CLOCK!!! Hours run.
wireless
upgradable via USB (right on Deus, almost there V3i ;-))
backlight
retractable telescoping rod
programmable (highly adjustable recovery, Rx, etc.) - The fun isn't just in finding coins, but playing with the machine - at least as an option.
WEATHER PROOF (good job AT Pro)
iron volume level adjustment (many have)
ERGONOMIC
Built in GPS (if you need it and it's cheap these days.
Computer emulator to try out programs (V3 took it away :-( , good job Minelab)

That is a start :-)
July 07, 2011 07:41PM
Thanks for all the great input.we all could give pages of things we would like to see in our perfect detectors,yes newer doesnt always mean better,but learning new tech keeps us moving forward in a hoby we all love. I agree learn your machine,for me and others learning new tech is part of the fun.besides the way the world and laws change, us detectorists will become like the treasures we seek,(hard to find)thanks again for all you friendly input.side note-keep up on all those great finds and the fire we all carry for detecting.
July 08, 2011 02:30AM
Immune to iron (unless deselected).
MUCH greater depth capabilities.
July 08, 2011 03:07AM
I'll take the futuristic approach.....DARPA like in design.......kind of like this:

Out stretched hand, oriented parallel to the ground, palm facing down. Hand waving the flat palm over the ground while wearing a Smart Glove that senses the subsurface environment and targets, constantly evaluating, retuning and resampling with wireless reports to a lightweight helmet with heating/cooling for creature comfort. Helmet employs a HUD (Heads Up Display) of data and settings inside the face cover with action initiated by eye movement.

OK...its late, I've been playing with rockets too long but I still remember my Steve Canyon Jet Helmet from days gone by for those of you that even remember what that was! smiling smiley

FB
July 08, 2011 07:08AM
Dagnammit......I still want the ground sonar detector that shows the shape of metallic objects on the detector screen.
July 08, 2011 09:32AM
Discriminates iron 100 % , seperates foil/pull tabs from coins/gold, etc. lightweight , minimum controls, no screen .[ I almost never look at it.]
July 08, 2011 09:50AM
These ideas are all great -- and I agree that we have hit the most important points; as Lawrenzo alluded to, we need to find a way to differentiate between gold items and the pull tabs/foil (maybe by measuring and comparing the density of the object detected to the desity of a similar-sized gold object -- i.e. the idea I mentioned in another thread?!)

Otherwise, an affordable, lightweight and super ergonomic machine with a swiveling, no-glare, backlit color screen; operating on multiple frequencies which can be used individually or simultaneously, providing accurate and stable ID with depth; deep seeking/boost mode included; ability to "eliminate" the effects of iron; super-fast recovery; maximum user adjustability of tones and assignment of tones to different target/VDI groups; wireless headphones, built-in GPS (options/possibilities are endless there), time/hours-used type of counter; built in clock, showing the time-of-day and date on the display; long-lasting, quick-charging batteries;, waterproof/weatherproof; frequency adjust to control cross talk; toggle pinpoint switch; manual ground balance option PLUS a "ground grab" type of on-the-fly ground balance adjustment; user-configurable display screen, giving you many options to customize which information is displayed on the screen (VDI? Current operating frequency(s)? Ground Phase/soil mineralization? Continuous Depth Readout? A Minelab-type matrix? Date and time? etc. etc.) -- and, ONCE AGAIN, the best target ID possible INCLUDING differentiation between pull tabs/foil and gold items.

That probably covers it... smiling smiley

Steve
July 08, 2011 12:23PM
I like Toms thoughts... sounds simple. A lot of our problems with TID, depth, and a need for disc all comes back to IRON.

Dew
July 08, 2011 06:05PM
I don't wear a watch, wouldn't want a clock on it....darn, where did the time go?,,,,, dear.
July 08, 2011 06:18PM
ozzie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't wear a watch, wouldn't want a clock on
> it....darn, where did the time go?,,,,, dear.

Xp Deus has a time displayed in the lcd screen and it is very neat feature indeed.smiling smiley
July 08, 2011 09:14PM
Ok one more fantasy, built in GPS and log file with ID numbers registered . Fail to build a profile of the whole plot. In order to understand later, is it worth to go or not to dig.
July 09, 2011 12:40AM
Estija82, I don't want to look at the time when detecting, I don't want to care what time it is. That's what this hobbie does to me....removes me from the everyday things I really don't want to do. If I have to know the time, it means I have to be somewhere or do something. Noooooo Sir, not on my adventure. When in the field or woods I'm not thinking about any thing else, just the art of metal detecting. Luv it.
July 09, 2011 01:10AM
I am thinking perhaps something much simpler.......X RAY glasses so I can just look at the ground and walk around until I see something worth digging up.....much easier to look under that pesky surface trash....I suppose it is asking too much to have them weigh less than 60 lbs.
July 09, 2011 08:09AM
JCB and sieve soil. No EMI and iron problems at all.
July 09, 2011 11:12AM
Something off the wall..... a detector that you can notch for a certain depth much like we do with disc. so you dont have to hear shallow targets. That might be possible with tone strengths.

Dew
July 09, 2011 02:37PM
There is no perfect detector and never will be when we dial in location, mineralization, personal preferences, type of hunting, expertise of the operator etc. etc.. Lets face it if someone came out with a super duper lure that gave us our limit in large fish every time out it would become boring.same with the hobby...
As far as the gold ring thing versus trash I feel weight or mass may open some avenues of success cutting down the odds but nothing is 100 percent perfect and all comes down to the only true disc. is a shovel and don't know the original author but it tells all in one simple sentence.
Imagine there is technology out there far beyond our imagination but again cost and making a profit enters the picture as right now $1500 detectors is quite steep for some of the top of the line better than sliced bread units.
In addendum find out what works for you and learn your unit well and you will stay in and enjoy the hobby.
Nice thread and I enjoyed and perhaps a light will go on in one of the manufacturers to give us even better equipment at a reasonable price which is readily visible from Garret with ACE 250 entry level and AT pro top of the line at about half the price of most of its competitors.
Hope the sun is shining in your area and grab your favorite and go get em as I plan to later this evening to beat the heat.
July 09, 2011 08:41PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something off the wall..... a detector that you
> can notch for a certain depth much like we do with
> disc. so you dont have to hear shallow targets.
> That might be possible with tone strengths.
>
> Dew

This already exists. Bounty hunter made detectors that would allow you to disc out a certain depth. Personally I think it's a great idea, I'd love to see it on some of the FT machines.
Cal......Re: The start of a perfect detector
July 09, 2011 11:04PM
That regular 1940, 9" deep nickle I described in a earlier post, with max disc on with the T2.........someone mentioned that it was picked up because disc is possibly set to be effective up to a certain distance from coil. Explanation makes sense given the circumstances. This quality may already exist on Fisher/Tek units...but never acknowledged by First Texas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2011 11:06PM by TerraDigger.
July 10, 2011 02:02AM
Hi, The start of a Perfect Metal Detector would be one that everything on or in it is made and is also built by qualified Americans in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ....I believe we are doomed if things continue the way they are!!.... Also in closing I think most if not all metal detectors are way over priced for the what's in or on them.....I know design and newer technology cost a lot of money to accomplish but a lot of machines are just a spin off of a previous model..... Plus I believe there is some reverse engineering going on too....JJ
July 10, 2011 03:10AM
All of the above taken into account with a few changes,
Push button on demand x ray for shape ID or seeing through trash.
GPS coil head tracking for working a area thoroughly, with plot to find holes you missed in your sweep pattern as well as where you took X rays.
All in A pulse machine with adjustable timing and perfect disc and still capable of full depth .
Might as well dream big If Im gonna dream!!!!
But I would be happy with a Pi with accurate disc at full depth.
HH Everyone