Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Iron worker"?

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"Iron worker"?
July 30, 2021 06:34PM
What's the best detector/coil combo for working in iron of all sizes (and square nails)?----Opinions?
Re: "Iron worker"?
July 30, 2021 08:30PM
If you don't know D&P, who does?
July 30, 2021 08:53PM
I don't normally hunt in iron infested areas but I know that the DeepTech detectors are amazing at finding coins above, below and around nails. Their two tone audio is amazing.
July 30, 2021 09:22PM
Deus, F75 or Patriot with the 5" round coil attached, Nox running with the horseshoe activated, and believe it or not I have picked a lot of goodies out of the iron with FBS detectors going slow with a small coil. These would be my choices not necessarily in that order but in my opinion the Deus is the top dog in the nasty iron. But what do I know, I hunt for coins in parks most of the time. smiling smiley
July 30, 2021 10:10PM
Deeptech w/ Super 6 6x8 coil is amazing in iron and the detector runs quiet thru the iron. No false hits and then its gone. A little negative ground balance increases depth.

Tesoro Tejon/Vaquaro w/ 8" or 8x9 concentric is great in iron. A little noisy but no falsing. With these a negative ground balance is good too.

Deus/Orx also a top detector in iron.

I don't know of any better than these in iron./

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2021 01:40PM by Rick, N. MI.
July 30, 2021 10:13PM
I also liked the Nokta Fors Relic in iron. I didn't have any falsing with it. The 5" coil was great in iron. I wish it was still made today.
July 31, 2021 01:42AM
If you can tolerate coin-depths of only ~ 5 inches, and wimpy in minerals, and a bear to keep balanced, then: The old 77b could pass nails, yet get a coin hiding under 2 or 3 square nails laid squarely over the top of the coin. A Tesoro silver sabre or Bandito is a close second place (with better depth and ease of operation). The deus is supposed to be the cat's meow for this too.
July 31, 2021 01:46AM
XP Goldmaxx Power -- Version 4 !!!
3 tone audio, iron threshold,
See right through damn near nastiest machine gun iron.
NO ID ###
July 31, 2021 02:20AM
XP Deus with 9" HF coil at higher frequencies.
July 31, 2021 01:46PM
Tarsacci. I don't have one but I've watched videos of it running silent in iron. It's turning out to be a great detector in iron. I heard a rumor a smaller coil will be coming.
July 31, 2021 04:23PM
The only way to work such a site is by using a small coil,of course you wont get the depth of say a normal stock coil,but with so much iron around a stock or larger coil will suffer from target masking.
On some of my real trashy roman/saxon sites the only thing that works for me is using a small coil and go over the site slow and low,you just cannot do anything else.

My preferred machines for these types of sites are my T2 with the 5'' coil,Tesoro with a 4'' coil,Nox 6''coil and a few other small coil combinations as well.....if the ground is high mineral content then i would use bring out my TDI Pro with a 6'' Coiltek coil.

But Target masking is going to be the biggest problem and only way to get around it and try and bring the odds in your favour is by using a sub 6'' coil.
July 31, 2021 10:39PM
In years past the Tesoro's with small coils were good as was the White's Classic III and IDX Pro especially with the Mr. Bill Crabtree mods. Nox with 6" coil is OK but I like the Deus/ORX with 5x9.5" HF coil better. But where the 5x9.5" coil is too large, I'll grab a Makro Racer or Racer 2 with the OOR Coil or the Nel Snake/ CORS Shrew 3x6" coil. I know the Nokta Fors Core and Relic are also outstanding in the iron infest sites.
August 04, 2021 04:01PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In years past the Tesoro's with small coils were g
> ood as was the White's Classic III and IDX Pro esp
> ecially with the Mr. Bill Crabtree mods. Nox with
> 6" coil is OK but I like the Deus/ORX with 5x9.5"
> HF coil better. But where the 5x9.5" coil is too l
> arge, I'll grab a Makro Racer or Racer 2 with the
> OOR Coil or the Nel Snake/ CORS Shrew 3x6" coil. I
> know the Nokta Fors Core and Relic are also outsta
> nding in the iron infest sites.

Good post.
August 04, 2021 04:21PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> In years past the Tesoro's with small coils were g
> ood as was the White's Classic III and IDX Pro esp
> ecially with the Mr. Bill Crabtree mods. Nox with
> 6" coil is OK but I like the Deus/ORX with 5x9.5"
> HF coil better. But where the 5x9.5" coil is too l
> arge, I'll grab a Makro Racer or Racer 2 with the
> OOR Coil or the Nel Snake/ CORS Shrew 3x6" coil. I
> know the Nokta Fors Core and Relic are also outsta
> nding in the iron infest sites. I saw that you listed the IDX Pro as one of the detectors that works good in iron, I just bought myself one that is in pristine condition but it doesn't have mods, I also have along with the stock 9.50 the Blue max 8 inch coil and the Blue max 6 inch coil. I haven't tried it out in the naily areas yet but I will now that you have mentioned it as one of the detectors the works good in that environment.
August 04, 2021 09:54PM
The only drawback to the IDX is that it's a single tone machine. If White's had ever updated it to at least two tones it would really made an excellent detector outstanding. The IDX is a fast response but slower recovery detector. You need to sweep a little slower with it but it will hammer those round non-ferrous targets. Good luck with you IDX.
August 04, 2021 10:35PM
Tom Slick Wrote:
> The only drawback to the IDX is that it's a single
> tone machine. If White's had ever updated it to at
> least two tones it would really made an excellent
> detector outstanding. The IDX is a fast response b
> ut slower recovery detector. You need to sweep a l
> ittle slower with it but it will hammer those roun
> d non-ferrous targets. Good luck with you IDX. Thanks, I will let everybody know how I do with it.
August 05, 2021 12:25PM
I still like the Equinox with six inch coil and full tones...The way the tones blend in that stuff is just Great to me.
August 05, 2021 01:59PM
In CARPETS of nails...... I prefer an XP.

In fairly thick iron (or less)....... I prefer Tarsacci or EQX.