Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Walking a beach

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Walking a beach
August 04, 2011 06:49PM
I noticed today as i zig zagged from the Gulf waters edge to the towel line it was pretty quiet in the wet sand. However, when i went from North to South kind of zigging down the wet sand i was picking up targets and more falsing. Ive hunted beaches before, but not seriously. Is there a right or wrong way to work the wet sand? Was black sand masking targets when working toward the towel line giving me the smooth threshold or was it just coincidence? Havent had much time to hunt having just moved so im using the local beach as a testing area. I dont know who said the Exps dont get good depth on tiny targets. I been digging the heck out of tiny copper, aluminum, and trash metal jewelry. I have to retrain myself.... but im lucky i do know what a crown cap sounds and looks like REALLY deep. Im amazed at how many nickels ive been finding as well... i guess people just dont dig them.

Dew
qwk
Re: Walking a beach
August 04, 2011 10:54PM
Whenever I go to places like that with a ton of nickels, I dig it all and usually hit all of the gold that they didn't dig. These are my favorite places to hunt anymore. I love cherrypickers.
August 04, 2011 11:20PM
qwk.... i guess unless you are digging everything we all cherry pick. Of course on the beach we should be doing that. Got a pouch with a lot of gum wrappers, pull tabs, aluminum, copper pieces, and some pieces so tiny i could hardly locate them with the probe. I even dug some deep deep pennies..... ya on purpose. It helps me see what kind of depth im getting.

Dew
qwk
August 04, 2011 11:34PM
I guess I should have specified, everything but iron.(all non-ferrous items).
August 04, 2011 11:40PM
Always had tide tables for a particuliar area and working the tide out worked best for me..Digging is easy unlike land so disc. low and dig all and gold jewelry will go in the pouch..

Don't let anyone fool you explorers get the nickles and the gold but the average guy uses an Explorer for silver on land thus doesn't pay attention to the area of nickles and gold jewelry and thus not many low range targets dug...
August 05, 2011 12:38AM
Dan i dig it all except the iron.... if it beeps i check it out. The one exception is the bottle caps... they sound really good but i can normally work even the deep ones to where they fall. Kind of like pull tabs thou im starting to see more move up the scale. Funny how those deep ones may move from the far left to the lower right corner. Im not a real screen watcher until i hit something that stops me. Ive got to get a sand scoop with a handle..... i hate digging with a hand scoop. Takes a LOT more time. Dan on the beach they do a pretty darn good job.

Dew
August 10, 2011 07:40PM
Dew...hot tip here.
Long handle scoop #700 from Riellys down in your area.
That hand scoop will wear u out big time. The 700 will sift super fast and keep u from bending over.I learned this the hard way from Tom.
Sounds like u got a place w lots of potential if your hitting that many targets.
August 10, 2011 10:59PM
Aaron..... i ordered a RTG 7" one monday. To be honest thou ive always dug a lot of targets and i guess ive gotten used to digging. The sand is a piece of cake.... most holes im digging takes a good 3 scoops. Im aware it takes longer and time which limits the amount of targets you dig. Right now im just getting a feel for whats on these beaches, where to dig, and generally collecting targets for testing on the Xcal.

Dew