Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone remember the older model 1280's?

Posted by njnydigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone remember the older model 1280's?
August 04, 2011 09:42PM
As some of you might know, I'm close to purchasing a water detector. A dealer I know said he's getting in one of the older Fisher 1280's. This particular 1280 is from the pre BH days (I'm guessing he means Bounty Hunter). He said it is the one with the 'gold label serial number' with less digits than the BH version. He also said it has the big knobs versus the skinny, tapered ones currently in use. So.....

Does anyone remember these or - even better - did anyone here have/use one? Why is the older 1280's better than the current crop?? What makes it so is what I'm asking??? The dealer said the seller is quite firm at $450. Is this a good price for a unit that might be 20 years old????

Appreciate any help and/or feedback from you guys smiling smiley

P.S. - Forgot to ask, but, how would the older 1280 stack up against the newer water units like the Excal, Sand Shark, etc.?
Re: Anyone remember the older model 1280's?
August 04, 2011 10:25PM
I had a 1280 Aqaunaut as it used to be called in the late 80's.
It was a good solid machine, single tone VLF MACHINE, not good at all in salt water and I learned that the hard way. If you have a place w little junk it should be fine however it doesn't even compare to the Excalibur which is multi tone and frequency machine and more powerful and sensitive to small gold.
August 04, 2011 10:29PM
Tom D. said in his DVD that he does not like the 1280, because it does not like gold. If you like gold then I would pass on it.
August 04, 2011 11:30PM
Indeed was built like a tank and went deep..Certainly once of the best freshwater units of its day but a no-no for saltwater hunting. It liked gold rings but was poor for the smaller stuff(micro jewelry) in Tom's words...in my estimation quite expensive for its age and one wonders how well its waterproof integrity held up.....hate to kill a sale for anyone but those that know me call a spade a spade...
August 05, 2011 01:47AM
No Dan, your opinion is greatly appreciated. I like someone who calls it as it is. And just for the record, this is one deal I'm THRILLED to see get axed, lol. $450 sounded a bit high to me also for something two decades old. I've gotten other feedback from folks like the internal controls like to wear out on the older 1280's, etc., etc. So, the main consistency is that this machine would NOT be a 'good' buy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2011 01:48AM by njnydigger.
August 05, 2011 02:21AM
$ 300-350 these machines seem to be running. On a newly planted test garden I got to try one and it hit on all of them with with a very soft signal even with sensi. turned down for no noise. Quarter 8", dime 7 1/2", nickel 7 1/2", copper penny 7".

Very well built, heavy.

Rick
August 05, 2011 05:03PM
Wow, this thread hurts! Sorry njnydigger... I sent the PM before reading this. I bought mine before the CZ-20/21's came out and was the only unit Fisher had at the time. Oh well, life goes on! smiling smiley
August 05, 2011 06:39PM
Hey NjNydigger,
If you are interested I could hook you up with a sand shark that was modified by putting on a straight shaft and was done professionally. It operates perfect as far as I can tell. I bought it thinking I would get a chance to hit the beaches in northern ca but it has set for a year now. I used it one time to check it out in the field behind where I was living on a old wagon train immigrant road and it seemed pretty deep on fairly small pieces of iron and levi rivets as that was all I found as well as horse shoes.
It is the older model with optional coils, However they are hard to find it has the 8" coil now. also carrying bag and manual and if I can find it the receipt for the shaft mod.
Let me know if your interested with a pm