Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gettysburg Tree Bullet

Posted by FloridaBob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gettysburg Tree Bullet
August 10, 2011 02:14PM
......and in case you missed this one.....

[www.eveningsun.com]
Re: Gettysburg Tree Bullet
August 10, 2011 02:24PM
Very interesting. Thanks Bob!
August 10, 2011 02:44PM
One never knows....I know of a wheatie in a tree limb, good for 5 cents token found in a rotten stump and found a gold ring with a root growing thru the center...certainly small in comparison but certainly makes the hobby interesting.
August 10, 2011 09:06PM
Would love to have that as a table/conversation piece!
August 10, 2011 09:57PM
FloridaBob, interesting article, thanks!

You can get arrested for even talking about metal detecting in Gettysburg Park...little exageration. I was talking to a guy who has a friend that gets permission to detect private property around Gettysburg. He was telling me his friend has a room full of artifacts and relics from the battle. One find was a minne ball, not so unusual, but it was surrounded by a sawed off wrist and hand bones. He said he could see the saw marks on the bone from the surgeon.

I have a minne ball that was removed from my Great Great Grandfather on the 2nd days battle of Gettysburg, didn't kill him as he stayed in the war. I also have his origional discharge paper that is signed by Charles Collis, Purnell and one more I cant make out. The bullet is pretty mangled but I can see the some of the rings on it. Luck was with him in the war but after it was over he had an incident while hunting. I heard from my grandmom that while he was hunting and climbing over a barbed wire fence, he set the double barrel shotgun on the other side, it discharged and blew his arm off. He lived thru that but his career as a wood carver was over. I'm not being funny but I'm chuckeling as I write this, it's all true as was told to me.
Thanks Ozzie.....Re: Gettysburg Tree Bullet
August 11, 2011 12:31AM
Love hearing family history stories. So much more interesting than a history book.
August 12, 2011 04:54PM
Same thing happened to me when I was a kid. Luckily it was a BB gun. I stood it up agaist the fence and about halfway over the fence the BB gun fell over and shot me right in the side of the neck. Luckily again it was a Daisy lever action and it only put a big ol knot on the side of my neck. It was at my grandmothers farmhouse.

I don't know why but she used to say it was only the grace of God that kept me alive.

That bullet in the hand would be a strange one. I wouldn't have a problem with it but I bet some people would freak out.

They will do well to leave the rest of that tree alone. I have a friend who used to live on Peachtree creek in Atlanta. They had a bad tornado sometime back when, 70s or 80s. It was the one that hit the governor's mansion. It tore through their neighborhood and felled some large trees. The tree people had to give up cutting the trees up and they brought in a big crane, made as few cuts as possible and hauled them off whole. They were tearing up blades and endangering the owrkers because the trees were full of artillary shrapnel. On a side note, her next door neighbor was Tom Dickey. I've often wondered if I would find anything if I could hunt the yard of his old house. What he may have considered junk, I might like to have. His collection is now at the Atlanta Historical Society.

Julien

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2011 05:04PM by jbow.