Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

ML GPX 5000: relic, coin, general hunting

Posted by jrk 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
jrk
ML GPX 5000: relic, coin, general hunting
August 16, 2011 01:34PM
Hello,
I'm brand new to this forum, and somewhat new to md'ing. I stumbled upon a thread on this forum regarding Tom's review of the ET when searching for differrent discrim patterns. I'm very interested in this hobby and want to learn as much as possible. Now, I've got about 50 or so hours on the ET in different soil and in different locations; from old house sites with high trash as well as open fields with low trash. I've run the ET on Auto or semi-Auto + most of the time as some of the soil is rather hot and noisy, so I know I'm loosing capability. What I'm most interested in is if anyone on this forum has tried the said GPX machine for general hunting; coin, relic, etc., in various ground; high trash and low trash, and if so, your gut reaction to using such. Am I way off base by thinking that this detector is much more powerful and simpler to use than ET? Is the discrim on this PI unit at all useful when general hunting in different areas/ground? Am I also off base in thinking that this PI unit would be easier to "listen" to and run than the ET in multi?
I don't mind spending the money on something that is simpler and more powerful to use across all types of hunting...if this truely is the case.

I sincerely appreciate your time in response.
Randy Kight
Re: ML GPX 5000: relic, coin, general hunting
August 16, 2011 01:59PM
Randy,
The GPX unit is a very high powerful all metal gold hunting machine, and I also belive the coil is non waterproof. If you were to try to use it for anything other than that you would be spending most of your time digging junk. Stick with your Etrac and learn it well, you will be making a lot better use of your time.
Aaron
jrk
August 16, 2011 04:18PM
Thankyou very kindly for your time Aaron. Does Tom's recent DVD offerings go over specifics in using the ET, or are they non-md specific in nature?
Also, knowing there is many different types of soils, locations, and types of hunting, how is the ET looked upon in general by this group? Does there seem to be a general concensus that would point to a better machine for whatever reason, or can the ET be considered one of the top, if not the top, machine currently availabe?
Randy Kight
Richmond, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 04:25PM by jrk.
August 16, 2011 06:10PM
I would say for deep and partially masked silver coins nothing beats the E-trac at I.D./depth. Now as far as pure raw depth coil for coil I would give the node to the CZ-3D. That's one of the reasons I own both,And they are the only 2 machines I own and need.
August 16, 2011 06:34PM
Randy,

I have a Etrac and I find myself using my CZ 3D more than any other of my many machines. If you are working in non mineralized soil the CZ is hard to beat.
The only machines that Tom really uses in his videos right now is the CZ, however he has addressed the Etrac in a past post from last early March in which I had sent mine to him to be validated. There was a lot of interesting things said.
Aaron
August 16, 2011 08:42PM
Randy.... the GPX is a PI unit with very little discrimination capabilities..........and would create a feudal attempt at the hobby....if it were to be used in the capacity of general-purpose hunting. Your E-Trac is far superior to the GPX for the type of hunting you do. And in many cases....... the E-Trac is the 'bench' unto which many units are compared. If you were strictly a wet salt beach hunter....... the GPX might be the 1st choice.
jrk
August 17, 2011 01:18PM
Thanks to all for your help, time and information. Greatly appreciated.

Randy Kight