Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pointer Probes?

Posted by jrk 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
jrk
Pointer Probes?
August 17, 2011 01:29PM
Not assuming anything, and seeing that the members of this forum are a thoughtful crowd, I wanted to get recommendations on what type of pointer or in-line probe I should purchase for my ET. I've noticed the sunray in-line probe being used by many and I've noticed the same regarding Garret pointers and the like. For those that have used both types or similar, I'd very much like to hear your preference and why. I'm leaning towards the in-line type, but again, like to read your pros and cons. My hunting will be very general in nature; coin, relic and some beach.

Once again, thanks for your time,
Randy Kight
Richmond, VA
Re: Pointer Probes?
August 17, 2011 02:37PM
The in line was my choice and ive had them on all my detectors since Ralph started putting them out. I like the switch from coil to probe it eliminates EMI i was getting from the hand held. Ive never lost one yet but lost 2 hand helds and you know what they cost. They have great depth, they attach so you arent looking for some place to put them, can better be used indoors for testing targets, and in my case using the Explorer SE it allows me to put the cable OUTSIDE the rod, and they react to targets just like the main coil to include pin pointing. On shallow targets you can PP and in most cases pop the target out without digging. Disadvantages... they add weight, detector has to be close enough to use, they are detector specific which means you sell it with the machine, they are very durable... but dont over tighten the cable nuts or the inside cable will break from all the twisting and bending on the cable... $100 to replace the cable. The probe is water tight..... but on the beach you have to be careful if you are walking in the salt water ... water goes up the rod and can enter the box on my detector. Its difficult some times to handle the detector and the probe on the beach .... pay attention the detector dont get it wet while you are using the probe. Some find it irritating if you switch back to the coil before going out of PP.... you get a real high pitch sound. Hand mine repaired a while back for the cable and had to use an ole vibra pro .... like to never found the targets. You'll be surprised how quickly you can recover targets giving you more dig time with which ever one you choose.

Dew
August 17, 2011 03:03PM
I have both the SunRay in line and the Garrett Propointer. The Garret is a tough unit and can withstand a lot of abuse but I don't find it as exacting as my in-line. The inline is a fine unit as well and I like the fact you can use it as both a detector and pinpointer in the hole but I have noticed that on my F75 LTD it adds a small amount of EMI chatter to the audio. Running the 75 in BP with high SENS is hot enough and any additional "interference" makes it that more fatiguing. I also like having the inline close at hand, and no fear of losing it. In a non EMI environment I like the inline, otherwise its the Garrett on my hip.
August 17, 2011 06:42PM
I agree w both Dew @ Bob.
However, IRT the 3D, the SunRay probe adds a significant amount of weight to a already unbalanced machine. I have 2 3Ds one being the AU-21x and the regular 3D w the SunRay feels so much heavier after using the au-21x. After training w Tom I've been trying to use the probes less, especially if I'm digging big holes like he does w a shovel, though not always possible in the park.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2011 02:20AM by Aaron.
August 17, 2011 07:50PM
I use the Garrett PP. Its a great little unit. Very durable. Not as deep as the Sun Ray. My hunting buddy uses the Sun Ray on his E-Trac. However, after 1 1/2 yr's, it malfunctioned. $85.00 repair bill. Actually, the Garrett belongs to him. He lets me 'permanently' borrow it....lol.
I have to agree with Bob though, I have to be mindful not to lose the Garrett while caught up in the 'fever' of detecting.
August 17, 2011 08:57PM
I've never tried an inline probe. But, I do own the Garrett Pro Pointer and it is amazing. Something you get with it that you don't get with an inline probe is vibration (I think). You can't choose though, you get vibration and audio. The nice thing is that the audio/vibration increases as you get closer to the target. Normally you can get around 2 to 2 1/2" from the target, but if you do a simple trick of sliding a coin up the side until it just register and then backing it till it stops (and keep it there) you will double the depth. This works because it has some type of sensitivity sensor built in. For detailed instructions and more on the pointer go to Findmall. They have a huge thread on it. It's very very durable and water resistant +, maybe water proof, never tried that.

I would like to try an inline probe someday but the V3i is a bit heavy, though perfectly balanced and an inline probe would probably make it feel like a Minelab (same weight) due to the lack of balance.
August 17, 2011 09:50PM
Wrap some electrical tape around the speaker holes and the ProPointer is now water-proof.
Had mine for 2yrs now...its bullet-proof.
jrk
August 17, 2011 11:22PM
Thanks to all for their thoughts and time. Decisions to make.
August 18, 2011 12:21AM
I also have the Garrett PP. I wash it under the faucet..had it for 2 years. The 9 volt lasts a long time. I have to keep it in its holster behind my back when using the f-75 because it interferes with the 75 when it's turned off. Once you turn the PP on, the interference goes away....don't understand why. The little speaker slots get clogged with dirt easily but you can toothpick it out. I have used the inlines but I prefer the seperate PP. Once you misplace it and have to re-trace your steps, you quickly learn to check after every hole that it's still with you. I would buy another Garrett PP if this one ever conks out. Indestructable little thing.
August 18, 2011 12:49AM
Ozzie, that's why I put the electrical tape on, I got tierd of digging the dirt out of the speaker holes.
Do yourself a favor and wrap some once around the holes and also it will cut down on the sound that also attracts people who are going end up asking more questions. You'll still hear it...trust me.
August 18, 2011 01:53AM
Aaron, I can't hear it even when there is dirt cloging it....ear drums are worn a bit. Won't hurt to try the tape though.

That is a plus for the inlines, thru the headphones.
August 18, 2011 02:37AM
Word of caution for in-line probes: In a controlled test..... on average........ an in-line probe would induce approx 15% more EMI. This may not be enough for you to notice..... but is noteworthy. Speculation is that it's shielding may be suspect..... and not the same as the detectors shielding.
August 18, 2011 02:50AM
I've been using a cheap freebie fisher pointer for several years. I thought it was a toy and would quickly wear out, but that thing has been one tough little tool. I used to detect without one until I received this one with an F5 detector. I would NOT go detecting w/o it, or one as good as it (even though it's an inexpensive unit). Had no ideal what I was missing. ....Detect a target, dig a hole, see if it's in the hole or the plug, if it's in the hole, grab a hand full of dirt and see if you were lucky. If not, throw the dirt away and get another hand full. Swing it in front of the detector and see if you got lucky yet... throw it away and grab another hand full... until you have it in your hand. Then, pour half of the dirt in your other hand, wave it in front of your detector (which by the way has mysterously moved just out of reach...), even if you have it in your right hand, you check your left hand to make sure there's not a target there also. If not in your right hand... do it again... and again... and again... until you find it in that last little handful of dirt. ....not for me anymore!

I think I would like to try the garrett pin pointer someday. Maybe I can find a good used one somewhere... they aren't cheap! I dig around in loose and sometimes not so loose soil all the time with my fisher pointer. I know someday I'm going to put just a bit too much pressure on it and snap the tip off. The garrett looks to be a bit stronger in this respect. I know pointers sure make finding a coin quick after digging a plug. Don't think I'd want to go with a built-in unit. Yeah, I left mine behind me once. Traced my steps back and quickly found it. Best thing you can do... loose it once. You sure remember to put it back in your pocket/holster everytime after that!