Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why cant a pulse machine incorporate a magnetometer

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Why cant a pulse machine incorporate a magnetometer
August 20, 2011 06:21PM
for the help in identifying iron object's....may not work on co-located target's but it might at least work on isolated target's in the open area's?

I know fisher used to sell a walking stick type magnetometer for like 400 buck's or so and always wanted to pick one up on the used market just to see what it could do on helping I.D. iron with a pulse....

You know find a target then check same target with the mag and see if it's iron or not??? Might not even work ????

might not see small object's?? Don't know never played with one...

But if it works to some degree seems a detector manufacturer could ad it on witht he flip of a switch for target check???

Maybe wishful thinking on my part.....But if I can ever run across one of those fisher mag's cheap I would like to try it out...

Still lot's of deep belt buckles out there that sound like big iron on a pulse machine that are way deep on the ground...

Any one ever explorer this ??

By civilwarrelics at 2011-08-20

Keith
Re: Why cant a pulse machine incorporate a magnetometer
August 20, 2011 06:45PM
I remember something called a ferrous hound that could be attached to another detector.
Now if it works or not that I don't know.
Great idea, either something similar or carry along a magnetometer for checking deep signals.
August 20, 2011 07:22PM
It never ceases to amaze me..............that mfg's don't pay closer attention to these boards..........as there are some very intelligent suggestions offered up. And some very smart detectorists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 07:59PM by TerraDigger.
August 20, 2011 08:51PM
Hi, I don't know if it would really have any practical usefulness,,, I do remember reading that they use a device called a Fluxgate Magnetometer during World War II......A Magnetometer is a pretty simple straight forward circuit...You could do a search on Google and you should be able to come up with a suitable schematic...You could build one yourself if you can't buy an already built one....Good Luck.....JJ
August 21, 2011 01:07AM
Keith,

That's a well-founded thought; however, yes.........the magnetometer looks for (elongated/large) ferromagnetic objects like, water pipes, long steel-rod property markers, water valve-boxes etc........
August 21, 2011 01:12AM
I see the gas/water companies still using those.
August 21, 2011 08:21PM
Keith, I think several manufacturers do that. If i remember correctly, Lorenz does this with their PI.
August 22, 2011 07:51PM
Idreamin3D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith, I think several manufacturers do that. If i
> remember correctly, Lorenz does this with t
Correct, I believe there are more than one mfg's that incorperate a magnetomter into thier PI.s.
August 22, 2011 08:32PM
I think Lorenz uses a vlf disc circuit??I may be mistaken .....I know white is planning on doing a TDI and a Vlf together in the future also...But I a still wonder about the mag?but if it only picks up larger target probably not much use in day to day treasure hunting ?

Keith