Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My First E-trac hunt

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My First E-trac hunt
August 21, 2011 04:41PM
I picked up an E-trac. After reading Andy's book, watching Youtube videos and reading various forum posts , I finally took her out yesterday for her maiden voyage, and I have to say that I'm disappointed. Disappointed that I didn't buy one years ago that is! I dug ~ 90 coins, including 13 wheaties and six silver dimes. Two of the dimes were right next to iron, the ET nulled but I could get a bit of high tone blipping into a 46-47. When I dug them I found the iron first, and that's what I thought I had, but re-scanning the hole revealed there was more.

In one area with moist ground I did struggle with some iron that sounded pretty good, like a coin but iron was all that was there (probably a sign of too high of sensitivity?). I guess no machine is immune to digging iron falses. I still have a ton to learn about this machine, but so far I am very impressed.

I made a quick video of my first hunt and the finds:

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks for looking, and Happy Hunting,
Brian
Re: My First E-trac hunt
August 21, 2011 05:01PM
Brian, great finds and a fantastic first hunt with the Etrac. I also like the Etrac a lot. It will always be my go to unit. You can not beat the stock coil. It is all you will ever need so do a lot of research before you buy any other coils. Spend some time reading and learn all you can about two tone ferrous. Once you master it , you will be able to return to hunted sites and pull even more out. Keep the videos coming , I enjoy watching.

Tom in SC
August 21, 2011 08:25PM
Congrats on the E-Trac. My hunting buddy uses the E. Does quite well. Its a deep dime killer for sure. And he has several hundred silver dimes to prove it. Best of success.
August 21, 2011 09:20PM
Congrats, what a good sign of a first hunt. Have you hunted that spot before?
I am a pretty happy V3i user but wouldn't mind buying the next version of the E-trac. I'm curious, how were the sounds and feel of the machine for you?
I actually run my V3i to do a "flute" like sound, very similar to the E-tracs I hear. I'm not sure if it works the same way on an E-trac, but the V3i samples the target on the way there and will give multiple tones, depending on how you set up the tones to be (e.g.- one individual tone per VDI or in blocks).

Good job!
EMS
August 21, 2011 09:45PM
Congrats Brian,
6 silver dimes thats around $30 in silver!
Makes me want to bust out the Etrac.
So many detectors so little time....
August 21, 2011 10:36PM
Well Brian now we have to have a shoot out with the V3i and the E-Trac and I am not interested in winning but would like to see if my V3i can see what your machine sees. I will be in Marin the 1st of Sept may see if Crosby wants to hunt then I have my appointment with Stanford for my bone marrow on that Friday and may stay in the area on Sat????

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 21, 2011 10:59PM
Low-Boy, if you and Cal make it happen.........please, please, please do a video. Want to see the pre-digging comparisons in the worst way. And see both units tuned to their optimum for the hunt. Tired of seeing YouTube vids of these machines on factory pre-sets or the user having no clue as to set up the machines properly. Plus your soil mineralization is about a carbon copy of mine in Idahosmiling smiley Thanks

p.s. could you verify if noise cancellation is necessary due to FBS from the E-Trac

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2011 06:34AM by TerraDigger.
August 22, 2011 06:50AM
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Congrats, what a good sign of a first hunt. Have
> you hunted that spot before?
> I am a pretty happy V3i user but wouldn't mind
> buying the next version of the E-trac. I'm
> curious, how were the sounds and feel of the
> machine for you?
> I actually run my V3i to do a "flute" like sound,
> very similar to the E-tracs I hear. I'm not sure
> if it works the same way on an E-trac, but the V3i
> samples the target on the way there and will give
> multiple tones, depending on how you set up the
> tones to be (e.g.- one individual tone per VDI or
> in blocks).
>
> Good job!
> EMS

I would also like to try a V3i, but first I need to master the E-trac. Several of my hunting buddies use the V and do very well with them.

I'm still figuring the E-trac out, but I think the tones are great, it screams when you get on silver. I think I figured out the iron falsing today...I hope smiling smiley

The construction of the E-trac is top notch, very well thought out and far better quality then anything else I've used to date. My only complaint is that it does get heavy after a day of swinging. It's not unbearable, but I'll have to start working out my right arm. Actually I don't think it's any heavier then my CZ-70 with the 12.5" Sunray coil. The particular spot I went to on the first day was a little park that got scrapped. It's new to me, but had already been hunted by a multitude of locals, but it was a great first spot to learn a new machine. Lot's to learn still of course, but it seems to be a very logical machine, I think I'm going to click with it.

Thanks and HH,
Brian
August 22, 2011 06:53AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Well Brian now we have to have a shoot out with
> the V3i and the E-Trac and I am not interested in
> winning but would like to see if my V3i can see
> what your machine sees. I will be in Marin the 1st
> of Sept may see if Crosby wants to hunt then I
> have my appointment with Stanford for my bone
> marrow on that Friday and may stay in the area on
> Sat????

I still have a long ways to go until I've learned my E-trac as well as you know your V3i smiling smiley

I'll probably be up at north on Labor Day weekend sad smiley I pinged Crosby to see about putting together a trip to Bartlett Springs this fall, hopefully you can make that, it's a blast hunting there. Even if you don't find very much, it's still worth going.
August 22, 2011 06:57AM
tmanly Wrote:
> Brian, great finds and a fantastic first hunt with
> the Etrac. I also like the Etrac a lot. It will
> always be my go to unit. You can not beat the
> stock coil. It is all you will ever need so do a
> lot of research before you buy any other coils.
> Spend some time reading and learn all you can
> about two tone ferrous. Once you master it , you
> will be able to return to hunted sites and pull
> even more out. Keep the videos coming , I enjoy
> watching.
>
> Tom in SC

Thanks Tom. I read all of Bryce's coil reviews, and it actually helped me quite a bit today to avoid digging iffy high coin targets, which in every case if they didn't come in as Bryce pointed out on the ProCoil were iron. The machine I picked up also came with the 6" Excelerator which seems to be a favorite, and I picked up a new Sunray 12" coil on the cheap (seems to be a better coil for thick iron if you don't want to use the small coil). Those should keep me busy for a while smiling smiley

I definitely want to learn TTF mode, it seems to do very well in hunted out and/or iron infested areas, and that's most of the spots left to hunt around here.

HH,
Brian
August 22, 2011 06:59AM
TerraDigger Wrote:
> Congrats on the E-Trac. My hunting buddy uses the
> E. Does quite well. Its a deep dime killer for
> sure. And he has several hundred silver dimes to
> prove it. Best of success.

Thanks TerraDigger. I've followed the E-trac since it came out, watched a lot of my hunting buddies slay silver with them, and finally decided that it was time to try one. Now I wish I'd picked it up when it was new, I can't help but think of all the silver coins I've missed.

HH,
Brian
August 22, 2011 02:08PM
"Scraped lots" are usually VERY good 'producers'.....and revalidates just exactly the true depths targets actually sink.
August 22, 2011 03:23PM
If your ever going to buy another coil for that Etrac it has to be a SunRay X-5. It is a "must have".
August 22, 2011 03:30PM
Well Brian is a hard guy to catch but if you guys want a shoot out with the V3i and E-Trac keep telling Cal to hook up with me we will make a great video for all to see. Keep this post going

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 22, 2011 04:30PM
Aaron Wrote:
> If your ever going to buy another coil for that
> Etrac it has to be a SunRay X-5. It is a "must
> have".

It came with the 6" Excelerator, and I also picked up the big Sunray coil. What about that 8x6 SEF, seems to have a big following?