Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

This is just UNREAL!

Posted by Lipservice 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
This is just UNREAL!
August 22, 2011 04:51AM
Saw this on another forum....

[forum.treasurenet.com]
Re: This is just UNREAL!
August 22, 2011 06:22AM
I am happy for the man...........but I think he was foolish for making it public.
August 22, 2011 07:24AM
It's old news smiling smiley

Yeah what an amazing find, I don't know if I could've kept it to myself either, but I can see why Terra would be concerned about publicizing the find (heck it's even going to be in a magazine).

I wonder if Uncle Sam's long hand will make it into his pocket?
August 22, 2011 08:20AM
Yeah that's insane.
If I would have posted that there's no doubt my Ex would have found out, and there would be NO way I would be sharing it w that ......((person)).
I don't post any finds anymore....at least of any significance. It's like my wise old father always says "loose lips sink ships.l
August 22, 2011 10:18AM
Looks like someone was crossing at the ford and their saddle bag broke open....that's what I picture.
August 22, 2011 11:23AM
It makes you wonder what the truth is behind those coins. I pictured someone worried about being waylaided on the other side of the river so he buried his money before crossing to go check for highwaymen on the other side. I figure he got killed by them even though he didn't have his money on him.
August 22, 2011 11:43AM
What amazing condition those coin are in. Heck of a variety age and location wise as well. That represented a HECK of a lot of money during the year they must have been lost. Not like someone lost their lunch money. Research might find a robbery took place in the area and this was the loot.

Dew
August 22, 2011 02:34PM
MAJOR significance! How do you put a price on this type of experience. This has just as much.............if not more............. significance as a 'cache' find in Europe. The expectations of finding a cache in North America... are quite a bit less than the European expectations. This is of priceless value.... Smithsonian display quality; historical significance. I would hate to see this find ... broken up into pieces..... and parted with. It is the "collective" value .... that makes it priceless. Individual old coins are common. "Collective discovery" value ... is virtually immeasurable.
August 22, 2011 02:54PM
Yeah, old news for sure. The finder (Beau) is a heck of a guy & deserves every bit of it though. Surprise, surprise...he doesn't even use an actual full sized metal detector when hunting the fords. Rather, he just stands in the ford (the fords are only a foot or two deep) & sweeps the area with his Garrett Propointer. How ya like them apples?! winking smiley Ingenious on his part. Everyone always thinks the same old way when it comes to hunting; beaches, lakes, parks, etc. But, this fella found an awesome untapped niche & struck it big. Find of a lifetime.
August 22, 2011 03:08PM
I think the newest coin was 1837 , around time the banks were in trouble. Again .
August 22, 2011 03:22PM
It sure put a lump in my throat. And it it takes me back almost 200 years in history wondering just what were the circumstances that put all those coins there. The mind works overtime thinking just who/how/why.
This is amazing. Bet I looked at those pictures and the posts there for over an hour. Pondering.
August 22, 2011 03:32PM
UMMM not sure but hey what ever it is a great story I am sure he missed a few...looks like a hunter!

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 22, 2011 04:06PM
I am happy for the man...........but I think he was foolish for making it public.
August 22, 2011 04:07PM
njnydigger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, old news for sure. The finder (Beau) is a
> heck of a guy & deserves every bit of it though.
> Surprise, surprise...he doesn't even use an actual
> full sized metal detector when hunting the fords.
> Rather, he just stands in the ford (the fords are
> only a foot or two deep) & sweeps the area with
> his Garrett Propointer. How ya like them apples?!
> winking smiley Ingenious on his part. Everyone always thinks
> the same old way when it comes to hunting;
> beaches, lakes, parks, etc. But, this fella found
> an awesome untapped niche & struck it big. Find of
> a lifetime.

Wait, he said he used an AT-Pro to make the finds. I never even heard of a ford before, I thought he misspelled fort! Any info on what exactly he did as I didn't see it in his thread.
August 22, 2011 04:16PM

I found a couple of caches over the years and one big one, a jar with 100's and 50's, I was going to not tell, but the feeling of being excepted by your peers is very wanting in a hobby you love and think nobody loves it more than you, I posted it, the money was used for a down payment for a handicap van for my daughter, I tell people who thinks I'm wasting my time doing this, with the gold, silver, key date coins, clad and caches, all of my gear, 6 detectors over the years , have been paid off, and I'm still up 10 folds
August 22, 2011 04:26PM
njnydigger Wrote:
> Yeah, old news for sure. The finder (Beau) is a
> heck of a guy & deserves every bit of it though.
> Surprise, surprise...he doesn't even use an actual
> full sized metal detector when hunting the fords.
> Rather, he just stands in the ford (the fords are
> only a foot or two deep) & sweeps the area with
> his Garrett Propointer. How ya like them apples?!
> winking smiley Ingenious on his part. Everyone always thinks
> the same old way when it comes to hunting;
> beaches, lakes, parks, etc. But, this fella found
> an awesome untapped niche & struck it big. Find of
> a lifetime.

I thought he said he found them using his AT Pro (I assumed because he was hunting in the water of the ford?)?

Out here finding just one of those coins would be a big deal, let alone a cache of that scale, amazing.
August 22, 2011 05:37PM
> I thought he said he found them using his AT Pro
> (I assumed because he was hunting in the water of
> the ford?)?

He DOES use a AT Pro at times. But he employs the Garrett Propointer to do most of the dirty work. Watch and learn fellas smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2011 05:39PM by njnydigger.
August 22, 2011 08:51PM
Caretaker........... that's priceless and commendable! You are what life is all about!
August 22, 2011 09:01PM
There has to be something left there that will help paint a picture on why all of those coins were there.
August 22, 2011 09:52PM
Wow he makes it look relaxing.
Pull up a beach chair and go metal fishing
August 22, 2011 11:46PM
The nice picture of those Bust halves... examine it closely. Notice how each coin is unique. Every die was hand crafted and slightly different thus the slight
differences between each coin there. With those coins being in such good shape it is easy to spot the subtle differences. Very cool! And the posts in the thread
someone notes the stamp on on one of the halves, an interesting story all in it's own.
August 23, 2011 01:12AM
A ford is a shallow place with good footing where a river or stream may be crossed by wading.
August 23, 2011 01:47AM
goodmore Wrote:
> A ford is a shallow place with good footing where
> a river or stream may be crossed by wading.

At first I though it was spelled wrong, but it is correct. Here is more info:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Jerry