Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Small Coil for CZ3d

Posted by ozzie 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Small Coil for CZ3d
August 22, 2011 10:20PM
Is it worth it to get the small Fisher coil for the 3d, is it a 5 incher or a four?? Have the 10.5 and the 8. Is there a better after market small one vs. the FT one?
Re: Small Coil for CZ3d
August 23, 2011 12:18AM
I would like to know also,,,,, is there much of a depth loss with the smaller coil?
August 23, 2011 12:21AM
I believe there are the Sun-Ray coils, but, from what I've heard they're almost impossible to get - nobody gets rid of them once they have them. I own the 5" for my 3D but have never used it. IMO, the 8" is a perfect 'all around' tool. Small enough to work between trash, large enough to get good depth & not too heavy. However, if the area you want to detect is LOADED with trash (picnic grounds, urban parks, etc.), then YES, use the 5".
August 23, 2011 12:23AM
Aaron would be the guy to ask abou that.
August 23, 2011 12:25AM
wurthless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to know also,,,,, is there much of a
> depth loss with the smaller coil?

I asked this same question of Tom once. His answer was something along the lines of YES, you will obviously lose some depth, however, not as much as you would think. Because the smaller coils signal is more directed and laser like, it can go pretty deep. Sometimes pretty close to the bigger coils which lose or have their signals diluted due to the area it needs to cover. But, I'm sure Tom will chime in & clarify if I'm not remembering it 100%
August 23, 2011 01:59AM
If you have a correctly calibrated CZ..... that can ascertain a clad dime at 12" with the 8" coil.......... you will only lose approx 1.5" - 2" of depth with the small coil. It measures just over 4"............. but it's called the 5" coil. I have yet to find a aftermarket coil that will perform in this fashion.... and still ID targets correctly. If you hunt trashy areas..... by all means... acquire a 5" CZ coil.
August 23, 2011 01:06PM
Agree with Tom the hockey puck 5 incher does a good job on depth and excells in trashy areas or along iron fences playground poles and such and places the stock 8 won't go. Remember you usually can raise the sens. and for a small coil gives adequate depth.
Use one of these and you will fully understand what overlapping is all about and just love the weight.
August 23, 2011 10:39PM
Absolutely get the 5" coil....depth loss is minimal and unless your targets are already on the fringe of detectability you'll be fine. Superior target separation is achieved with this coil. I've used mine successfully in areas hunted multiple times in 3 different approach angles until such time as the 8" coil was not able to acquire a good signal and when I went back over it with the 5" coil I successfully isolated and retrieved several silver coins which were adjacent to ferrous and/or trash items. It will also allow you hunt nearer to objects such as large tree trunks, fence posts etc. When using the "sniper" coil be sure you overlap your sweeps and don't move too quickly. It takes a bit longer to cover ground but I think you'll appreciate the results.
August 24, 2011 02:13AM
i want one,,,,,gimie
August 24, 2011 11:11AM
Thanks guys, I ordered one.
August 24, 2011 01:13PM
Unfortunately, Ralph only made one coil for the CZ, the 12" FZ Invader.
And...I think, thats the only company that made a after market coil for the CZ.
There really isnt any reason to make another version of that 5" coil, as it works extremely well anyway, in the trash and close to fences and poles as Tom and Dan had mentioned.
Your gonna love it ozzie.