Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ3D fails air test

Posted by reeseman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ3D fails air test
August 23, 2011 01:57PM
Hi to every one im new to the forum . Im also new to dirt fishing been doing it for just over a year now ive found many civil war bullets and a large one cent . My Soon to be stepson is the one who got me hooked on detecting and he also owns a CZ3D and has been hunting for 15+ years. They both fail the air test. Mine will not read the dime at 8 in and my step sons will go to about 9in. My machine is also heat sensitive if it a 90 degree day and the sun is hitting my machine i have to stop detecting because it goes bezerk chirping non stop with the coil plugged in or not. my question is can Tom fix my machine and tune it as well? I have the 5 year warrenty but my step son had to send his back 3 times and it still is not 100% right .I would rather just have Tom do his magic and pay the fee. Tom if you can please let me know where it need sent ect . Sincerely Randy
Re: CZ3D fails air test
August 23, 2011 02:48PM
Randy, you have some very unique problems w your machine. Though Tom does time-ups on the 3D he does not do repairs. My 3D air-tested only 6" on a dime when it was new and I raised a big issue with it on this forum and had Felix at Fisher take care of it and he got it to test @ 10".
First thing to do is contact Mike Hillis on this forum, who works for FTP and let him know what's going on, he'll make sure you and your step son get help.
August 23, 2011 02:52PM
What settings are you using?
August 23, 2011 03:11PM
Place CZ-3D in "Enhanced" mode and:
* Approx. 25% - 40% of new nickels should read 'round-tab' (with mid-tone).
* $5.00 Gold Half-Eagle should read high-tone (Zinc Penny ID).
* U.S. Shield nickel should read high-tone (Nickel ID).
* Zinc pennies should read high tone (High-Coin ID).

Sensitivity/Depth check: Place Sensitivity on '5', Disc '0' and in 'Enhanced' mode:

* U.S. clad dime should air-test & ID correctly at 11.25" (w/8" coil).
* At maximum range... audio response should be short, faint & crisp......and NOT 'smeared/elongated' audio.

Autotune mode should start to produce a faint audio threshold tone/hum at sensitivity settings above '9'.
August 23, 2011 03:42PM
The chances of a new FTP 3D air testing a dime @ 11.25" are very remote, though I think a few have claimed it. You would be putting FTP to task if you to send it back and request it.
Now, if your talking about a Los Banos machine, that was the norm.
August 23, 2011 03:50PM
Aaron...I think you meant Mike Scott at FTP...not Mike Willis.
August 23, 2011 04:20PM
Yes..thanks Bob.
August 23, 2011 07:08PM
Lipservice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Place CZ-3D in "Enhanced" mode and:
> * Approx. 25% - 40% of new nickels should read
> 'round-tab' (with mid-tone).
> * $5.00 Gold Half-Eagle should read high-tone
> (Zinc Penny ID).
> * U.S. Shield nickel should read high-tone (Nickel
> ID).
> * Zinc pennies should read high tone (High-Coin
> ID).
>
> Sensitivity/Depth check: Place Sensitivity on '5',
> Disc '0' and in 'Enhanced' mode:
>
> * U.S. clad dime should air-test & ID correctly at
> 11.25" (w/8" coil).
> * At maximum range... audio response should be
> short, faint & crisp......and NOT
> 'smeared/elongated' audio.
>
> Autotune mode should start to produce a faint
> audio threshold tone/hum at sensitivity settings
> above '9'.

Thanks all for the fast replys to my post .

I did do the air test as shown above 8in coil was about 3 in above the ground with sen set to 5 i can not make it to 7 in and if sen is maxed it almost hits 8 in. So if i have the newer model CZ3D my chances of it working as good as the older model is slim? Even though i paid the same price for it if not more. Why the down grade on a newer model? Kinda discouraging knowing that if its true. I would like to speak with Mike and see what he can do to help us out. Ill try to find him on here and will keep posted how things go. thanks again Randy

ps looked for a mike willis could only find a Mike W and a Mike Hillis would it be one of these two?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 07:30PM by reeseman.
August 23, 2011 07:18PM
My mistake.....
It's Mike Scott.
August 23, 2011 07:19PM
I would give Tom a PM as sometimes he can help with depth also. I had a original first run CZ-3D which I bought new. I traded it in on the lastest greatest which I didn't care for. Tryed to get my old one back and couldn't as it was sold. I tryed to locate another 1021 couldn't find one so I bought a FT model used. It was actually pretty hot as it would hit the clad dime in the test at about 11''. The problem though the signal was smeared and the enhanced mode was out of calibation. Anyways I sent it to Tom he straightened everything out and got me a little over a inch more depth. So some first Texas machines can be straightened out. And as much as I hate to say it I have seen a few 1021,1121, los banos machines that needed to be recalibrated.
August 23, 2011 09:09PM
by the way this is the number on my sales reciept (01101348) im guessing that means i have a 1101?
August 23, 2011 09:26PM
Either I am missing something but the control box of your unit should have the ser# attached to it....If not something is wrong somewhere and would get it straightened out ASAP....ever think how you are going to get a unit serviced under warranty with no ser#...if you bought new with the 5 year warranty....
August 23, 2011 09:37PM
well when i received the detector there was no numbers att to it...and fisher told me all they needed was a copy of the the sales receipt .
August 23, 2011 10:34PM
> Thanks all for the fast replys to my post .
>
> I did do the air test as shown above 8in coil was
> about 3 in above the ground with sen set to 5 i
> can not make it to 7 in and if sen is maxed it
> almost hits 8 in. So if i have the newer model
> CZ3D my chances of it working as good as the older
> model is slim? Even though i paid the same price
> for it if not more. Why the down grade on a newer
> model? Kinda discouraging knowing that if its
> true. I would like to speak with Mike and see what
> he can do to help us out. Ill try to find him on
> here and will keep posted how things go. thanks
> again Randy
>
> ps looked for a mike willis could only find a Mike
> W and a Mike Hillis would it be one of these two?

You mention you performed the air test with coil 3 in above the ground and could not make it to 7". Unless I'm mistaken this is not how to perform a proper air test. You do NOT put your target on the ground and hold the coil above it. You place your detector on a non-metalic surface which contains no nails, screws or any other metal object and simply wave your target in front of the coil. Mineralization in the ground could quite possibly be the reason why you're not able to achieve acceptable depth. To perform an air test such as you've described you'd have to correctly ground balance the unit which is going to return different results.
August 23, 2011 11:46PM
Randy,

I answered your PM. Also........... your unit 01101348 is unit 1348 that was built in January 2010. This is how the new serial numbers work on FTP products.
August 23, 2011 11:58PM
JeffNS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Thanks all for the fast replys to my post .
>
> >
> > I did do the air test as shown above 8in coil
> was
> > about 3 in above the ground with sen set to 5 i
> > can not make it to 7 in and if sen is maxed it
> > almost hits 8 in. So if i have the newer model
> > CZ3D my chances of it working as good as the
> older
> > model is slim? Even though i paid the same
> price
> > for it if not more. Why the down grade on a
> newer
> > model? Kinda discouraging knowing that if its
> > true. I would like to speak with Mike and see
> what
> > he can do to help us out. Ill try to find him
> on
> > here and will keep posted how things go.
> thanks
> > again Randy
> >
> > ps looked for a mike willis could only find a
> Mike
> > W and a Mike Hillis would it be one of these
> two?
>
> You mention you performed the air test with coil 3
> in above the ground and could not make it to 7".
> Unless I'm mistaken this is not how to perform a
> proper air test. You do NOT put your target on
> the ground and hold the coil above it. You place
> your detector on a non-metalic surface which
> contains no nails, screws or any other metal
> object and simply wave your target in front of the
> coil. Mineralization in the ground could quite
> possibly be the reason why you're not able to
> achieve acceptable depth. To perform an air test
> such as you've described you'd have to correctly
> ground balance the unit which is going to return
> different results.

Sorry for not explaining my self a little better. I did do the test correct . What i ment by 3in off the ground is ...with the detector on its side laying flat i was told not to let the coil touch the ground.so i set it up on some wooden 6x6 to keep it from touching the ground.