Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Looking for CZ tip

Posted by gman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Looking for CZ tip
August 24, 2011 07:39PM
With the depth meter ending at the 8 inch mark does anybody have a tip for the deep targets.
I run volume at 10 . Should i find target then back off volume below 5 to try to get a feel for coin depth
or something eles.
This also ties into swinging the Sunray 12 inch coil Thanks Mike

Also Tom D or others do you have a in dirt depth difference [gain ] between the 8 10 and 12 inch coils
Re: Looking for CZ tip
August 24, 2011 08:21PM
Mike,

Sounds like your on the right track so far IRT using the volume to figure depth.
that Invader coil will probably get you a 1.5-2" inches. Check out ozzies latest post IRT the small CZ coil.
Tom had posted info regarding coil size depth.

FYI. One of the beautiful things about the Invader coil is its light weight. It is a full 12" and is significantly lighter than the 10.5 Fisher coil. Excellent for the beach and wide open no so junkie places.
Makes me wonder if Tom can calibrate my AU-21X to it?
August 24, 2011 08:31PM
I like to leave my volume at 4 as to tell the difference between shallow and deep targets. As far as the depth meter even though it only goe's to 8'' you can tell the deepie's the way it whines and barley pinpoints when it tops out on the meter,or at least this is how I know. And as far as my volume setteing at 4 that is just the way I like it as some like it past 5 when the audio boost kicks in as not to possibly miss a deep signal.
August 24, 2011 09:04PM
Just to be clear volume 5 or under targets are modulated in Disc. mode..Deep soft and shallow loud while in 10 all should be about the same but and their is always a but...it may take field time but that 10-12 incher will just soft a tad different.
One way to tell usually if over 8 inches just might have a tough time getting it to repeat from at least two angles and of course in pinpoint the same thing as a 12 inch silver dime is just about a whisper.

With out going into detail Sunray sure makes good pricey coils and the large one for the CZ is no exception and is really a step over Fishers 10 incher for sure.

In addendum if the depth meter reads 8 inches and the audio doesn't cover a lot take some time to evaluate as you just might have one of the real oldie but goodies everyone else has gone over...and especially for old areas buy a longer digger....
August 24, 2011 11:14PM
Yes...... when volume is above '5'..... the modulated audio is reduced. This is specifically to say that ... deep targets will become louder. I prefer the modulated audio...... so as to give another data-point as to probable depth of detected target.

And don't forget.......... just because you may not acquire a pinpoint on a target..... that you can detect in the ID mode...... does not constitute no target! Exceptionally deep targets may not produce a pinpoint audio.

Yes........ somewhere on this forum....... I have written a lot about just exactly this topic.
August 25, 2011 10:35PM
Tom, have you ever come across a way to "shunt" the meter or adjust it in some manner so as to cause it to only read at 1/2 scale? If so, then the 2" mark would really be 4", the 4" mark would become 8" and so forth. We would then have a depth meter up to 16" (8" X 2" = 16"). If this worked, I wouldn't mind removing the meter scale and have it reprinted with the new deeper numbers on it, then re-install it in the detector. The meter might be off a few percent on really deep targets due to the meters sensitivity, but that would be better than just guessing to begin with. It might not show the depth in pinpointing a really deep target, say over 12" depending upon how small the target is, but for larger targets it might be a big help.

Hmmm... I'm beginning to see another project on the bench.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 01:34AM by connortn.
August 25, 2011 11:13PM
In reference to Tom D.......
And don't forget.......... just because you may not acquire a pinpoint on a target....."" that you can detect in the ID mode""...... does not constitute no target! Exceptionally deep targets may not produce a pinpoint audio.

It's not a CZ, but my Omega does exactly as described above. Certainly let's me know it could be a very deep coin/non-ferrous object.
August 26, 2011 01:54AM
True..... there are other detectors that perform in the same fashion. No pinpoint audio; yet, a deep target can be detected in the ID mode.