Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What if I told you......

Posted by Idreamin3D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What if I told you......
August 26, 2011 11:12AM
.....that there is a device that can detect metal at long range, the only catch is that it has to be two different type of metals touching together?

Now this is not one of those long range locators that we all know are scams. This device is not even designed for treasure hunting, (and it might not be suitable for it but I think it might work under certain conditions)

I came across this device not long ago and thought it might be possible to use it for treasure hunting. It is very very expensive and it would not be worth buying (because it might not work for treasure hunting), but it might be worth renting from an expert (if you can find one) involved in using it for their work.

I will give a few hints and see if Tom knows what I am taking about.

1. It was invented by a foreign intelligence service in the mid 1970's to find listening devices.
2. It was discovered that bugs planted near rusty nails, or parts of walls containing different metals touching each other were “a nightmare for detection" because these metals gave false signals.
3. The modern version of this device is used in Iraq and Afghanistan to detect IED's, mines, and arms caches at a distance of up to 30 meters away.

Thought I would "play Garrett" and post this to raise some interest. I have more information on this and will even post a video later!
Re: What if I told you......
August 26, 2011 11:36AM
You lost me at VERY VERY EXPENSE... and may not work lol.

Dew
August 26, 2011 01:27PM
Dew said it all....

As far as those long range locators to make a long story short I encountered a fellow treasure hunter in an old churchyard and after a short how to do scenario he hid a large gold ring in one corner of the yard and as I walked around the yard when I passed the area the rod pointed to it. Naturally when he placed the target I had my back turned so had no idea where it was.

Fellow had the brand name removed and would not tell me it and never even thought of buying one but will always remember that day. My dear old Dad always told me never believe what you read and only half of what you see but I know it happened and every time those cheater junk long range defunct long range locators come up have to pass this story on. Was it trickery did it work....heck I don't know as I never saw the fellow or his locator again.

Right now I know my detectors work and am satisfied but always wonder???
August 26, 2011 02:18PM
Its very, very expensive and may not work....sounds like some of the detectors already being made.
(LOL! Dew)
August 26, 2011 04:39PM
Hey I was just trying to be fair and balanced, and I am not trying to sell you anything so just letting you know that these are not designed for treasure hunting, so they might not be effective.

As we all know the story of how and why the first metal detector was invented had nothing to do with looking for coins and rings, and over 100 years later they are used pretty much for that purpose, so I thought people would be interested to read about this technology. I thought everyone was looking for "a paradigm shift," well, guess I was wrong. Just because we can't afford one of these doesn't mean it's not interesting to learn about. I thought people would be interested in something that actually works on a scientific principle that might be able to find a jar of coins from 30 maybe 60 feet, isn't this what we all dream about or is it just me? But you can stick to your beep and dig methods, doesn't matter to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 04:41PM by Idreamin3D.
August 26, 2011 07:06PM
I am going to guess........was it the Mossad that developed it?
August 26, 2011 08:46PM
Whoa....hold on Id.,,,,just a little light hearted humor here bro. Im sure were all interested.
BTW..Dan, I know a guy who has a antennae locating device and I always was extremely sceptical of the things. He told me about how he found paper money with it and gems, precious metals ect.
So I had him come out to my old park and he didnt find sqaut. It was funny the looks he was getting as I was watching him. People were coming up to me and asking what on earth he was doing and I was like "I dont know that what Im trying to figure out".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 09:43PM by Aaron.
August 26, 2011 09:06PM
I think you're describing the LUX non-linear junction detector, made by Suritel. Do I win some candy?
I don't think it would be 'Very very' expensive to make one of these, though that's what they probably sell for. It would be cumbersome to use, I imagine. If you had lots of time to adjust its controls etc it may be useful for finding cache-type targets.
Edit: I have come across anti-theft tags, as used in stores/ public libraries etc that work on a similar principle. They contain a recieve antenna (untuned?), a transmit antenna (tuned) and a single silicon diode. The walk-through detector transmits RF at the device, and the non-linear diode will generate harmonics which it transmits (due to the tuned antenna). These can be picked up by a radio reciever. The tag is cheap, as it is mainly foil, with just a 2 cent diode.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2011 09:46PM by Pimento.
August 26, 2011 10:16PM
3D.....I would like to see the video. Guess I was wrong on who developed it.
August 26, 2011 10:46PM
I've just done a bit of search-engine (ab)use and found quite a bit of technical info on their operation, and even found an amateur enthusiasts' project to build his own. They could possibly be simplified for MD use. The 'bug detector' use has to be able to distinguish between semiconductor non-linear( little 2nd order, mostly 3rd order harmonics) and randon metal-metal junctions (mostly 2nd order, some 3rd). As there aren't too many electronic gadgets buried in the ground (!) maybe only the 2nd harmonic needs examining. I don't like the idea of high power radio transmitters though - 'soft-tissue damage' was mentioned, and I feel I would be better off with soft-tissue than without.......
There are US made nldj's too, Orion is a name that comes up often.
August 27, 2011 01:07PM
Again......... good responses. Interesting.
August 27, 2011 03:19PM
i think that is why we go to this forum to learn how to use what we have...It sound like I could have found that ring with my detectors so why pay a ton of money with something that won't pay for itself???

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 31, 2011 01:43PM
Good thing I decided to check back! Wow people on this forum are top notch!

Well done Pimento, yes, I was talking about the non-linear junction detector, and I also think it might be useful in searching for caches in the middle of a filed, or at least pointing you to a hot spot, like old homesteads, where lists of iron is buried. I would not worry about the tissue damage, as that was the issue with the Russian made NLJD's because they had very powerful transmitters. The received is the important part, you can have pretty low powered transmitter that does not effect your heath, but the recover is very sensitive. The Russians didn't have the technology to develop very sensitive receivers, so they compensated with the very strong transmitters with any disregard for health of those who operated it. But the modern detectors, as I already mentioned, operate on the same principle, only with low transmitter/powerful recover combo.

Anyways, here is the video I promised. This guy is looking for a cellphone in the middle of the field. Again, not sure how useful this would be but I do think it's interesting, and for someone who knows the machine might be useful in finding caches.

[www.youtube.com]
August 31, 2011 03:16PM
I couldn't help notice that the operating frequency was similar to that used for Ground-Penetrating Radar equipment - I wonder if that is optimal for penetrating ground, or simply that it's the highest frequency that is practical, electronics-wise? On Carl Morelands Geotech1 site there's a thread on home-built GPR equipment - I think a read is called for...
August 31, 2011 07:42PM
Unfortunately I am electronically handicapt, so i can't say either way with regard to the optimal frequency. I guess since this was intended to go deep into walls to find bugs I imagine this would be beneficial in finding stuff underground. There is still no way to tell if this would be of any use to us, I for one think it might be helpful in open fields or ancient forests here in UK. It might not work at all, but it would sure be nice to test it, where to get one of these is the hard part.