Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detector Pro Head Hunters

Posted by dewcon4414 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detector Pro Head Hunters
August 29, 2011 11:30PM
What can anyone tell me about this detector? My son asked me tonight about them and i have no idea. Hes interested in doing some beach digging. Im not certain they will work on wet sand, i think there are around 3 kHz. Good for depth.... but gold items??

Dew
Re: Detector Pro Head Hunters
August 29, 2011 11:43PM
They have a DetectorPro Products forum on FindMall.

[www.findmall.com]
August 30, 2011 12:35AM
Thanks TD. Interesting concept... the head phone.

Dew
August 30, 2011 12:56AM
I have a Headhunter Diver. I haven't used it in saltwater, but I can get 10" on a dime in the dirt with the 8" coil.
August 30, 2011 01:56AM
Why am I thinking this was a Fisher 1266X installed in a set of headphones.
August 30, 2011 02:42AM
Thats funny, I've never met anyone who used one until I went into a dive shop tonight, the owner told me he had one. He claimed it was good and he was finding all kinds of stuff in the 10-15ft range off the beach, where the rest of us detectorist couldnt go.
August 30, 2011 10:54AM
Tom, I've actually heard that it was a 1280X that were in the headphones. There are several arguments on messsge boards, some say it is a 1280X and some say that it is Gary Storm's own design.
August 30, 2011 11:15AM
Someone also said it was assembled in China to Gary's specs. I guess the Pro is water resistant....not proof. The Wader is good to 9 ft i think someone said. Interesting that they can put everything in the headphones...... think that makes them heavier on your head? I was told the guts are the same for all three units and they are deep, Sounds like a pretty good little beginner machine for the beach. If it similar to the 1280X Tom.... then how will it fare on the wet sand? I believe i read somewhere that they arent the best for that.

Dew
August 30, 2011 12:18PM
Dewcon, The diver is suppose to be waterproof up to 100ft. It doesn't really feel any heavier on your head, at least to me it didn't.
August 30, 2011 12:41PM
Yes...... that sounds more correct..... being a 1280X .... especially if it is 2.5-Khz operating freq. If it is used for the wet-salt beach...... it will be a low performer......... and will be gold-dead ..... especially smaller gold. Single freq unit...... wet salt...... and low freq make it NOT suited for wet salt. In fresh water..... it'll be good for silver.
August 30, 2011 01:11PM
Let me throw this out then...... for 3 to $400 what VLF machine works good on jewelry and small gold? Knowing that you have to get up into the PIs or something that can handle the wet sand.... maybe hed be better off just getting a machine for recent drops... but one he will know he can pick up the small items with.

Dew
August 30, 2011 01:16PM
A used Minelab Sov/Excal or a used CZ. (Both are multi-freq's..... which are minimum requirement for wet-salt).
August 30, 2011 02:36PM
I noticed you didnt mention the Whites DFX which dual freq with one of the freqs being 15 kHz. Thanks Tom ill see if i can run one down at a reasonable price.

Dew
August 30, 2011 03:16PM
dewcon4414:

One of Toms choices.. a used CZ... is one that I would highly recommend (a good used CZ6a) for dry land, dry sand, wet sand and shallow water (salt or fresh). These units are multi-frequency, rain proof, three tone (low for iron/nails, med for foil/pulltabs etc., and high for coins). They are among one of the easiest detectors that have operator adjustable controls that I have come across. And they will go deep... some up to 11-12 inches if the conditions are right (mineralization and black sand being two things that will cut your depth down some). If your son was looking for gold/rings/jewery at the beach in dry/wet or a foot or two of water (being very careful of dropping it in said water), he would just dig the mid tones as that is where 90+ percent of those items will be found. If he only wants coins on dry land/inland/beach, just dig the high tones. The CZ6a has a switch to change it from dry land/fresh water to wet sand/salt water. It's like having two detectors in one!

Biggest obstacle to learning the CZ's is they have a propensity for the low iron tone, many times, of clipping into the high coin tone. Once you learn to either ignore the low to high tone (easy) or spend a good bit of time learning exactly what the CZ is telling you (coin next to nail?) (not so easy), then you will have one of the most versatile and easy to operate metal detectors made.

If you do wind up with a CZ6a,.. Imediately. Order. Tom's. Metal. Detecting. Real. World. Techniques. Inland. Coin. and. Relic. Hunting. DVD. This is no joke. You will learn more about using a Fisher CZ in an hour and half than you probably would in years. You will gain the confidance you need for this machine very very quickly, especially about what to do when you hear different tones one after the other.

I'm sure there may be other detectors that would fit the bill for your son, but I see detectorist (who evidently have more money than I) who try detector after detector looking for the elusive one that will never be fooled and can find gold 24" in the ground. I also see many of those same people come to the conclusion that it's not the detector (if it's a good one), it's the person using it (if he learned what it can do). As a good friend said once to me... get SOMETHING, and learn to use it. I did, and I'm glad it was a CZ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2011 03:23PM by connortn.
August 30, 2011 10:40PM
Dew the Whites BHID is a DFX in a simple water proof design.
I can get good depth with 9 in coil.
The new units have a 12 inch coil.
August 31, 2011 12:08AM
I used the DFX for several years it wasnt bad on the beach for rings and earrings. It picked up some pretty small pieces and was pretty deep. Thanks i had no idea they were the same... cool. The things you learn on these forums.

Dew
August 31, 2011 04:01AM
Dew,

The DFX is a very good wet sand hunter. I use mine as well as my CZ's on the NJ beaches with good success. Just don't get the control box wet ! One good thing about the DFX is you can switch to single frequency 15Khz and hunt the dry sand for small gold. I have found a lot of small earrings with my DFX using the 5.3 inch coil in prospecting mode ( with a few adjustments ) in the dry sand. One caveat is, it's sensitive to foil !
August 31, 2011 11:28AM
The GB system isnt the best... it tracks badly and you loose depth in bad ground. It does have the ability to adjust the GB up or down which was a great feature when gold hunting. I used 15 kHz a good deal just because in 3 kHz the EMI was a killer. It also has a good disc system for that foil problem. There are a lot of good adjustments and when set properly its a fine machine. BUT..... way to often the operator ended up tinkering more than detecting if they didnt under stand Jeff Foster book or didnt read it. They were made pretty darn sturdy as well. I change over to the ML SE when i started doing more field and woods hunting for deep old coins and relics.

Dew
August 31, 2011 11:31AM
Dew...I agree. The DFX does need setting up on the salt water beaches while the CZ's and Minelabs ( Excal and GT ) are much easier to use.