Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett's new AT GOLD detector

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garrett's new AT GOLD detector
August 31, 2011 07:45PM
They finally show the unit.

[www.youtube.com]

Tom in SC
Re: Garrett's new AT GOLD detector
August 31, 2011 08:07PM
What is with the Friday the 13th approach music? I guess fear sells. LOL
Is this basically a higher frequency (18Hz) AT Pro? The ground balance range feature sounds interesting though.

Good luck to Garrett with this release. I'm interested to see how this detector does in Europe as a lot of guys like the sensitivity of the higher frequency detectors. Perhaps this will be like what the G2 was to the Omega...
August 31, 2011 08:17PM
AH! I was hoping for a top of the line coin and relic machine. OH well........
August 31, 2011 08:20PM
So they pulled a Fisher/Teknetics......basically took an off the shelf unit, twiddled with the program a bit, and added a higher frequency and rebadge an AT Pro as a prospecting machine.

Considering that the AT Pro is already running at 15 kHz, and forum reports seem to indicate it's already pretty hot on gold, I can't help but wonder how much of a difference 15 kHz vs 18 kHz will make? It would be great for hunting in creeks and rivers being waterproof and all, and the way they designed that coil, it's really a great coil from both the perspective of the physical design (that blunt design) as well as how sensitive it is.

I hope they are working on the new and improved AT Pro2 now!

HH,
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 08:29PM by Cal_cobra.
August 31, 2011 08:59PM
Whites did the same thing with the MXT and tried the 15kHz on the DFX which i can tell you isnt the machine the MXT is on gold. Hummm wonder how this will do on the dry sand beach? Im at least liking that these machines are coming out water proof to a point we need more of that. I mean if you are out relic hunting id like to not have to bag the machine or have a cover over it that keeps you from seeing the screen most of the time. I saw all those bottle caps.... id liked to see them pull a nickel out of there.

Dew
August 31, 2011 09:56PM
And a limited package deal,

[www.youtube.com]
August 31, 2011 11:39PM
I like that the AT Pro coils work on this new AT Gold. Also that new 5x8 DD coil looks great, will have to get one for my AT Pro but see no need to buy the AT Gold.
September 01, 2011 12:02AM
Aww come on Frank, you know you need the higher frequency to get those small targets.......
September 01, 2011 12:32AM
Frank in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like that the AT Pro coils work on this new AT
> Gold. Also that new 5x8 DD coil looks great, will
> have to get one for my AT Pro but see no need to
> buy the AT Gold.

I missed the 5x8 DD coil, that's a welcome addition.

I wish Garrett would dump that POS ace snipper coil, bring us a 5" DD coil like FT has, that's a great little coil smiling smiley
September 01, 2011 01:42AM
I will stick with the G2 and Gold Bug I didn't care for the At Pro and this doesn't float my boat from what I have seen..I will wait for Tek and Fisher to take our hobby to the next step for now I am in love with the history I have found with the above machines..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 01, 2011 01:55AM
Somewhat silly intro; yet, very, very good presentation. Well done. Garrett is truly making strides in the right direction...... and in a more professional capacity. I'm glad to see them launch a new unit off of a substantially improved (world competitive) platform. You can bet most of the 'bugs' have already been worked out. Glad to see more selection of (well engineered) DD coils. They're truly striving for 'professional' status. Many years ago...... I mentioned on this forum: "High Resolution Iron Discrimination". Garrett (now) conceptually/fully understands this paramount requirement....... and it appears that this electronic architect/platform employs a good/proper amount of HRID.

I commend and applaud technological advancement(s).
September 01, 2011 10:43AM
But... that said Tom would you buy one and for what purpose? Im wondering like most....will it pick up chains and at what depth? Did they need another gold machine with the Gold Bug? Was it just necessary to package it differently because the changes between the two detectors were so different?

Dew
September 01, 2011 12:01PM
I think Fisher should come out with a waterproof Gold Bug that would be on my list for a new detector. Also Garrett needs to make a 5" DD like the Bug.
September 01, 2011 12:17PM
Too early to tell. I'm not certain there is enough 'product differentiation' to justify/quantify. The concept, architect and platform are well-founded; yet, there are plenty of 18 - 19 Khz (range) prospecting detectors on the market. Will it do something 'different'. Will it 'out-perform' others. Unmasking? Depth? Electronic and/or EMI stability? I'm willing to bet its 'price-point' is more than competitive. I'm also quite glad to see that Garrett is steering away from Tonka/Mattel "toy green" plastic color(s)............ and ............. now........... looking much more professional. I think Garrett is starting to see just how 'serious' this market (and 'so-called' hobby) can truly be. Credit is due..... when a paradigm-shift is recognized; then, acted upon.
September 01, 2011 06:26PM
Hi,, I believe this machine may have some great potential and be very beneficial to anybody hunting the water for rings & such.(fresh water hunters).... It could also be killer when hunting for gold nuggets..Let me say that I was somewhat disappointed when I found out that the discrimination levels on discrimination 1 & 2 were not adjustable...This alone may have been the deal breaker for me...It may also fall short in the depth department when hunting for the deeper coins....On the other hand with a frequency change from 15khz(at pro) to 18khz(at gold) it could possibly make up the difference by having the ability of handling mineralized soil better....I do like the adjustable threshold capabilities when used in the all metal mode..Garrett's are firm believers in the use of a threshold and so am I.......Another big plus is that it can be setup to indicate iron objects as a low tone while running in the all metal mode and to boot it can also give the probable target VDI all other targets are a mid tone..There are no high tones when used in all metal mode.....Well I said enough for now......In closing let me say,, if this machine has no quality control issues it has the potential of being DANGEROUS in a good way and the one to watch in the future....JJ
September 01, 2011 06:29PM
I like the true all metal mode with an iron grunt. I had a Treasure Baron Gold Trax Detector that could do that. I don't know of any other detector that could that.

What is the GRAPHIC TARGET ANALYZING?

Rick, N. MI
September 01, 2011 08:53PM
Available in October 2011 at Kellico for $680.00. Pre orders taken. Who's going to bite?
September 01, 2011 09:06PM
Can't see why they think it is worth more then the AT Pro!
September 01, 2011 09:12PM
So , this machine will hunt only in fresh water ?! No way to use it for small gold in the ocean ?
September 01, 2011 10:00PM
Christian:

Here is a quote from page 29 of the manual:

"Because the AT Gold is optimized to find small gold pieces, saltwater use in not recommended for this detector. Its ability to find small gold makes it equally reactive to the conductivity of saltwater. This detector's ground balance adjustment is optimized to provide the greatest resolution in the normal ground range and is not designed to address saltwater. The AT Gold will, however, perform well for hunting coins and jewelry on dry sand beach areas."
September 02, 2011 12:42AM
unit being used at park

[www.youtube.com]
September 02, 2011 02:18AM
tmanly Wrote:
> unit being used at park
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> =feedu

Interesting video, looks like he was using the small DD coil. The ATG is SUPER NOISY!!!!

Reminds me of a FT machine I already have smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 02:22AM by Cal_cobra.
September 02, 2011 04:51AM
Gold hunting

[www.youtube.com]
September 02, 2011 05:08AM
That's a very 'chatty' hunt. Kind of surprising that Garrett would want a video showing their new detector making all that noise.

I'm still amazed how quiet the G2 can run at near maximum sensitivity in places where my F75 does its best imitation of Rice Krispies -- snaps, crackles & pops.

So.. Here's my wish list for the next flagship unit from Fisher - I'll call it the F100

F100 Wish List - All the great features of the F75 Ltd with the addition of the following...

- Quiet running like the G2
- Separation & Speed of the G2
- Notch discrimination like Minelab X-terra & Safari
- Ability to save/load multiple custom programs

Bart
September 02, 2011 03:54PM
Yes..... it does seem quite 'chatty'. I also have concern about its depth capabilities by these videos....... yet......... understanding that it is impossible to make a valid decision from watching a video. No old coins were found (they are deeper)........................and.................. the one penny found in the wood-chip kids playset was only underneath about an inch of wood chips...... and the detector 'seemed' to have difficulty giving a pinpoint by virtue of a barely audible pinpoint signal.

These are just observations............ as it is wrong to make decisions from a video.
September 02, 2011 04:06PM
psyvad Wrote:
> That's a very 'chatty' hunt. Kind of surprising
> that Garrett would want a video showing their new
> detector making all that noise.

I think that was the intent of the two videos.

The At Pro would be just as 'chatty' on the same ground. By the same token, that is the way to sift through lots of junk and still find good coins. Not done with cranking up discrimination to silence the unwanted targets.

I can only stand it for so long and I either move to a quieter area for a while or just turn the Iron Audio off. However a few months ago I found 7 pieces of silver in a small, heavily hunted plot by sifting through just that kind of junk and it sounded the same way. The At Pro does well with multiple targets under the coil and it is looking like the At Gold is at least as good in that regard. With that 5X8 DD coil, probably better.

I like what I am seeing.

Jerry
September 02, 2011 04:39PM
I have become VERY accustomed to a 'chatty' F75 LTD/SE ..... by virtue of deliberately running the unit into somewhat of an 'overdrive' Sens and Disc setting.
That 5x8 coil look's awesome to me
September 02, 2011 04:49PM
The little sniper coil is just rehashed 25 year ago tech coil..Now this 5x8 DD seems leading edge for sure in design and response...I wish FT would build a small coil on the Bi-Axial platform instead of giving us the round 5 DD...a small say 4x6 Bi-Axial like the stock coil on a T-2 would really open sites up a little more...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 04:50PM by Keith Southern.
Hey Bart quite detectors are nice but be careful when a metal detector runs too quite
September 02, 2011 04:54PM
from my experience a quite detector is a masking detector..easier on the ear's ...makes for a funner hunt...but can cause masking..

I am sure FT will offer something new soon...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2011 04:56PM by Keith Southern.
September 02, 2011 05:01PM
Right on frank....I believe the At-Pro will be deeper on the coin sized target's..They have cranked the gain way up on the gold as you can hear...be good at looking at small item's....the H.F. machine's usually have problems seeing larger target's at depth...

Would love to try that awesome looking 5x8 on the AT-Pro.....

Keith