Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Garrett's new AT GOLD detector

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Garrett's new AT GOLD detector
September 02, 2011 05:38PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would love to try that awesome looking 5x8 on the
> AT-Pro.....
>
> Keith

Me too! However right now there seems to be a question as to interchangeability. Some people say yes, others say no. Garretts web site shows the same part numbers for same coil size which infers that that could be used on either Pro or Gold. I am sure that will sort out soon.

Jerry
September 02, 2011 06:35PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> tmanly Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > unit being used at park
> >
> >
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> > =feedu
>
>
> Interesting video, looks like he was using the
> small DD coil. The ATG is SUPER NOISY!!!!
>
> Reminds me of a FT machine I already have smiling smiley

I thought it was chatty too but that guy said he was going over lots of trash. So, it makes me wonder, since I didn't hear beeps or the like, if all that chatter was merely iron and trash?
September 02, 2011 08:43PM
so they can't get around the salt water issue either, when that machine comes, the beaches will be cleaned out
September 02, 2011 09:33PM
I'm just waiting......ummmm.......6 months....to see how this new model stacks up. I have reservations. We'll see what happens.
September 03, 2011 12:52PM
I'm sure Garrett's intent was NOT to make this a 'wet salt' machine. This is a single frequency unit........... and wet-salt requires a completely different electronic platform.
September 04, 2011 02:46AM
No way is that mahine really anything new as a relic hunter..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 04, 2011 11:53AM
"I'm sure Garrett's intent was NOT to make this a 'wet salt' machine. This is a single frequency unit........... and wet-salt requires a completely different electronic platform."

Truer words were never said !!.......I've said the same thing a thousand times regaurding ANY single frequency machine, not just the AT Pro .... I think that Garrett has learned some very valuable lessons with the AT Pro .......Doing all the mods on the AT Pro that should have been done to the first model , like the longer arm cuff , and HOPEFULLY a longer cable , along with other new feature set , is what Garrett needs to tune into .....Making a NEW smaller coil and not an old technology coil that does not work worth a hoot is what should surely be on their list also .... This hobby has grown and more and more intelligent people have come into the hobbie , and this site as well as others allow actual freedom of speech and many topics are covered and shared to everyones advantage ..... Many of these companies should stop for minute and realize this and stop insulting our inteeligence with the continuous rebadging of product ..... They will continue to make what we buy !!...... We deserve better .......Jim
September 05, 2011 05:08PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Too early to tell. I'm not certain there is enough
> 'product differentiation' to justify/quantify. The
> concept, architect and platform are well-founded;
> yet, there are plenty of 18 - 19 Khz (range)
> prospecting detectors on the market. Will it do
> something 'different'. Will it 'out-perform'
> others. Unmasking? Depth? Electronic and/or EMI
> stability? I'm willing to bet its 'price-point'
> is more than competitive. I'm also quite glad to
> see that Garrett is steering away from
> Tonka/Mattel "toy green" plastic
> color(s)............ and .............
> now........... looking much more professional. I
> think Garrett is starting to see just how
> 'serious' this market (and 'so-called' hobby) can
> truly be. Credit is due..... when a paradigm-shift
> is recognized; then, acted upon.

i concur! i believe as well,that charlie and crew are finally "making an effort"
so to speak,and finally realize there's more to life ,than government contracts.
and "puke color green detectors"!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 06, 2011 01:58AM
Is my impression...Garrett is going after the FT market...right?
And if so should FT be worried?
I suppose if could be argued they are only upgrading their products for the Garrett following.
September 06, 2011 09:38AM
Geophysics, science,,, and the symbiotic resonance thereof.... operate at the same frequency. You will note that the astute Mfr's should.......(eventually, with time).......... arrive at the same point..... IRT electronic architect.
September 22, 2011 06:20PM
AT Gold units are ready to ship. Looking forward to some reviews. Anyone have one on order?

Tom in SC
September 23, 2011 06:54PM
tmanly Wrote:
> AT Gold units are ready to ship. Looking forward
> to some reviews. Anyone have one on order?
>
>
> Tom in SC
Hi, as your probably aware John-EDm on the Findmall forum got one very early so he could hype it up for you all.
He's just getting the hang of it and will shortly find gold rings every hunt, heck he went big time and just found a huge 10kt gold chain.
I bet he finds more gold per hour than most find in a year. I figure he probably finds more gold per hour than what he is paid at his job. He should be gold jewelry hunting
all summer long and relax all winter no need for his full time job...LOL I do notice he is being careful not to hype it beyond the AT Pro as it's Garrett's main squeeze....
I saw his air test and it compares right on to my ID Edge, so I will resist the urge to own one, for now.........have to wait to see the results of other owners and read between the lines.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
September 23, 2011 11:22PM
I'll have to check that out. thanks for the info.

Tom in SC
September 24, 2011 11:57AM
I almost got rid of my LTD because of the BP chattering, but decided to keep it for now and use the Etrac and LTD at different locations.
September 24, 2011 11:37PM
MarkG, what type of locations do you favor the Fisher over the Minelab?
September 25, 2011 02:08PM
I tend to use an Etrac at parks and old homes. I have a T2SE that I use for relic hunting. I will return to areas that I had searched with the Etrac . I will remember where there was a lot of nulls of ferrous targets.
I then will search again with the T2. I have had a lot of good finds doing this as the T2 is very fast and as deep as the Etrac. It will work around the trash very well. I like the chatter and will set the sensitivity as high as I can
and lower the volume to make it easy to listen to. Deep woods is the T2 all the way, I can cover a lot of ground fast.

Tom in SC
September 25, 2011 03:44PM
Tom, good/correct approach.
September 28, 2011 10:40PM
Garrett is recalling all AT GOLD machines. Problem is unknown at this time

Tom in SC
September 29, 2011 02:29AM
"I'm just waiting......ummmm.......6 months....to see how this new model stacks up. I have reservations. We'll see what happens."
Posted Sept 02, 2011

I wonder what what it is?
September 29, 2011 11:31AM
OK, the recall may be just that some units were shipped too early. As there have no reports of problems. I have taken mine out for a short hunt and was impressed with everything but the depth.

Tom in SC
September 29, 2011 03:04PM
This is the response I received from Garrett. I feel better now.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Good morning Tom,

Although a small quantity of AT Gold detectors were sent to some of our Garrett distributors, these units have not been officially released. Since this shipment went out, Garrett has opted to make minor improvements to the AT Gold based on field testers’ input. For consistency of product, we requested that these few units be shipped back in order to add the same improvements. Our desire is that all AT Gold units would be the same upon release.

Field testers’ reviews have been very positive and we know that we have a very strong product geared toward the hot gold prospecting market. You can rest assured that Garrett will be making our commitments to deliver detectors in October.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks and have a great day,
September 29, 2011 10:26PM
Noticed you were not impressed with the depth Tmanly....

That's what kept me from caving and getting one....I believe the At-Pro is still the depth king from Garrett right now....High Khz suffers greatly in bad dirt for depth...

The breaking point for depth in bad dirt seems to be about 14-15Khz after that depth drops off quickly....

Now I do want to get that coil onto my AT in the near future!!!

I have found the AT-PRO to be a great bad dirt machine....Out of the newer generation Digital machine's the AT hold's it's own and surpasses many when the dirt get's bad...I believe the new style small blunt tipped coil will open up more area's...

I commend Garrett for making they're small coil on they're larger coil blunt tipped platform...Very Very good leading edge design they have ...

The Sniper 4.5 was pure 1980's performance . you could tell it was rush job.....I remember calling down there and telling them how poor a performer the coil was...And there excuse was a small coil wont get depth...then I said I have 5 inch coil's on Shadow's ....Tejon's and T'2's that get outstanding depth they sort of acted like I was fibbing....Then I heard they saw a F-75 with the DD 5 inch coil in an airtest demo !!!!

They are starting to get serious''''

Keith
September 29, 2011 11:07PM
Here is a Air test I did.

[www.youtube.com]
September 29, 2011 11:19PM
Thanks for the video !!!

Have you stuck the large coil on there from the AT yet? Or is it doable? I have heard mixed report's on the coil swapping no def answer yet...

Machine sounds awesome!!

Still bet it will suffer in ground depth? But who know's?...I like that all metal threshold sound with ability to I.D. in all metal tonal wise...

Keith
September 29, 2011 11:30PM
The threshold was what interested me too. I like the chatter and hum of a good machine. No I did not try the Pro coil. But Garrett sent me an email that said it would work just fine.
I tried it in my back yard for a couple of hours and it hits hard on very small targets. Gives a faint signal on small targets or large deep targets. Most good targets that I dug were in the 4 to 5 " range.
Pinpoints perfect and depth was right on. I think the At Pro with this coil would be a perfect combo for trashy areas.

Tom in SC
September 29, 2011 11:45PM
Good info Tmanly....

It act's like a 18 khz gold machine should it sounds like!

Yes I think the coil will be awesome on the AT!!!

Keith
September 30, 2011 03:31AM
Here's a video of the AT-Gold......Seems real sensitive and very quick....But the deeper iron more than say 6 inch's seems to sound awful good....could be tricky machine to run in iron?

it may behave different in disc mode...I believe he is in all metal with tone I.D.

If it does not behave better in disc mode I know I would be leery of using it in sites with deeper iron....

[www.youtube.com]

Keith
September 30, 2011 07:38PM
I have to grin (but not maliciously) a tad when I see the news of this stutter step on the Gold's intro considering several of the faithful gigged other companies back when the ATP came out for releasing detectors and the early units having a few problems. Then lo and behold the ATP went through some growing pains and now this with the Golds. Probably was a little tough admitting that Garrett is like the rest in that aspect.
September 30, 2011 07:58PM
I actually feel that they are doing the right thing by making the units the best they can. There seems to be just a few that were released early and had it not been for this we would be none the wiser.
they are headed in the right direction with the new units and should soon make them a good contender in the market. In the past I think they were depending on the bells and whistles to sell their units. As the hobby grows and more of the younger group gets into the hobby, it becomes more of a challenge to impress a high tech group. They have grown up around video games and computers. They expect more than just a beep and a grunt... They expect to not only know that there is a silver dime in the ground but also if it is on heads or tails... Garrett is changing and I think
they will be around for some time. they are just having growing pains....

Tom in SC
September 30, 2011 09:21PM
AND they can only have growing pains when they are actually growing (their detector lineup) in the first place and that is a good thing.