Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Dive boots....

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Dive boots....
September 04, 2011 02:57AM
What do you guys use on the beach when wading in the water for footwear? I dislike sand getting inside my shoes... it's like sandpaper working on my skin. I've noticed some beach hunters using what looks like dive boots. I've never worn them before and wonder if they work well or do I need something else like waist high snug waders of some sort?
Re: Dive boots....
September 04, 2011 12:57PM
Let me just say that nothing is perfect for keeping sand out. Especially in the surf break. But I wear dive boots after trying a couple different things. They are the best thing I have tried. I like the security of knowing that I can darn near step on anything alive or sharp and come through it unscathed. My latest obstacle yesterday during my night hunt was horseshoe crabs. They give me the creepers. And they were everywhere.

A good set of dive boots is a nice investment.
September 04, 2011 01:14PM
Depending on the water temps ......Dive Boots in the Summer months .......Wet suit in Winter ......You don't want to get hit by a rogue wave in the Winter months with just wet pants on !!.....Jim
September 04, 2011 02:06PM
Im new at this salt water hunting.... but didnt take me long to get a pair of dive shoes. You still get some sand in them... but you get sand in anything.... just not as much and it keeps the big shells that cut your feet out. The taller ones with a zipper work great.... but you have to really clean the zipper or they get hard to zip.

Dew
September 05, 2011 01:34AM
Any advise on thickness and/or pull ons or zipper? Myrtle Beach area, late summer/early fall. The high top thinner 2-3mm pull ons vs. high top 3-5mm with zippers. Just how much trouble is thin high top pull ons to get on/off? The zippered ones may be easier until the zipper gets full of sand. No one in my area has them to try on or it would be an easy choice.

Whats your experience with either kind?
September 05, 2011 01:59AM
Before you leave the beach get your boots rinsed in the water and unzip them. I have problems when I exit the beach with wet boots. Walking in the dry really picks it up and coats the zipper. Or rinse off at a rinse station. 3 MM will be fine for warm weather.
September 05, 2011 02:05AM
Connortn,

I stopped by a place that specializes in canoes, kayaks and other water sports and picked up a pair of water shoes that had a snug elastic ankle collar. Brand name was "Water Tennies" with name on the heel of SH2OES.with 2 being small to indicate H2O. The sole ts very durable that allows you step on almost any object without injury. There are built in drains that eliminate water quickly. These are definately water shoes but comfortable enough to use on land. The collar is snug enough to be a chore to get on but they do keep the sand out quite well. They were also bit pricey at $80 at time of purchase about 5 years ago. They are durablre and should hold up for a good while. When I get home from water hunting they go to the shower with me to thoroughly rinse the salt out.

Suncoast Wally
September 05, 2011 03:22AM
3mm ... rinse and unzip before leaving water ...take them to the shower to clean really well.

Thanks guys! This made my decision a lot easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2011 03:23AM by connortn.
September 05, 2011 10:12AM
As a former diver,, I liked the taller boots with good quality zip-up sides, & decent " tennis shoe " type soles. Pull on types can stretch & allow too much sand at the top. Good soles make the boots last a long time & are easier to walk in. The thicker material, the warmer your feet will be, but will be hot for extended lengths outside of water . Rinse,, rinse,, rinse in fresh water & allow to dry in the sun before storing. Spray lube on the zipper , afterwards. I used to spray my entire boots, except soles, with cheap cooking spray , which has silicone.
September 05, 2011 05:45PM
Ive been using Deep Sea dive boots, they do a great job of keeping most of the sand out, and yes...you gotta rinse that zipper out after use. Very comfortable.
Only $44.