Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Popular park hunting tip

Posted by Wingnut 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Popular park hunting tip
September 18, 2008 04:36PM
I regularly go to a large park to hunt. I usually avoid the areas around the big trees due to all the bottlecraps. My usual plan is to sort of wander around aimlessly. But I can't remember where I have been. And I have wandered most of the park by now. So I thought a plan might be a good idea. I decided to swing a full circle around a single tree and dig almost everything. I found lots of clad coins a set of keys and a watch. And that was in just one circle! (The watch was still running!) You could widen your search area and go out a bit further from the tree and do another circle. Which I did. But the number of targets dropped off. However that was the case under this specific tree. Others may be more popular and have a larger debris field. It took me 3 hours to do this one tree. I had a blast. And I plan on doing this to more of the trees at the park. People frequent the shade under these trees and thats is definitely going to be where the best targets are. The junk is actually a good indicator that people have been there. And thats what you want. The money and jewelry drops off the people not the trees. I know that sounds silly but it's true. Unfortunately you have to put up with all the garbage too.
Some Fisher user notes...
I made my first pass with my F75 (13Khz machine) then with my F5 (7.8Khz machine). I found some clad I had missed on my second pass using the F5. I can't give specific reasons why. Many factors may have influenced this. Like my wildly inaccurate swing patterns. Oh I found a nice big fat quarter with my F75 that was masked pretty well by a metal hook. The kind that you normally see used on pegboard. I dug both out of the same hole. I seem to find nickels with the F5 better than the F75. They both detect them well it's just the way the F5 reports it that makes me more confident that it is a nickel. But I do get pull tabs too.
Man that F75 takes some work to get used to all the noises. Some of what you hear is so subtle! Some of the deeper targets just kind of whisper at you. The rule I use for the easier stuff is this. If it pings with a repeatable number from two directions 90 degrees apart from each other, then dig it. But even that rule I use only in areas where there is a lot of junk in the ground. I dig parks that have so much garbage in the ground there are places you are almost walking on an aluminum plate. (Ok I am exaggerating a lot)
Maybe this will give some of you something new to try.
Re: Popular park hunting tip((also))
September 18, 2008 08:29PM
If trees are real old remember way back when were used for shade also and coins of the time were dropped..Sometimes the roots push the old coins to shallow depths and have found seated at a inch deep..Roots also have the opposite effect and if they get under the roots quite a chore to extract especially if roots are thick...Novel idea to just hunt the trees in a circle and it works as coins spills are often found of course with a lot of junk also...
Re: Popular park hunting tip
September 19, 2008 12:10AM
...And trees are wear the "lovers" did their thing at night for many years, and years to come...it's a great place to find flimsy jewelry and rings.

As far as the "circle" goes, I do that when I am looking for a small area to extensively search in an older park...I circle pattern search the biggest/oldest tree, expanding the circumference/perimeter of my circle with each lap...When I hit a good target, I will dig it and mark it, remembering depth...then I continue my circle till I hit another good target (hopefully at the "same depth")...At this point I mark the spot of the 2nd find and square off a search field by putting these 2 finds on the outer perimeter of my search field.

If my 2nd find is another depth, but the find was good too...I'll just square off at that point to then, but if one of the finds was exceptional, I will keep that location marked in case i find another of the same era, and then decide to further define/re-adjust my search area.

HH

-Mike

PS, How ya been Dan?
Re: Popular park hunting tip
September 19, 2008 02:24AM
That is where I found the gold ring right near a tree you sometimes have to put yourself in the other persons shoes...A couple of lovers will go to a place in a park where they can me more alone and you will find a lot of stuff in those places also..or kids will go towards the bushes to get high or smoke a cig. I have found a lot of old coins near old trees and they are under roots and somewhat deep.

Keep at it wingnut and post some of or all of your finds I am about to take the F5 to the lake I was telling you about and hide it in my back pack. It comes off the stem so all you have is the box. I think I found a good place to hunt between where you live and I live let me know when you are free

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!