Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rare earth magnets,

Posted by EZED 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Rare earth magnets,
September 25, 2011 12:55AM
What size, shape,amount of pull work best?
Re: Rare earth magnets,
September 25, 2011 01:58AM
Ideal size is 4" x 2" x 1"...... is of N42 strength..... and is 350-Lbs pull. This size fits your fist...... and ..... can be mounted on a 2 x 4 ..... or 1 x 4 (if you choose to NOT continuously bend over).
September 25, 2011 03:36AM
Holy smokes! What are you guys trying to do with a magnet that size? For sure not in your fist.... I want to keep all my digits.
September 25, 2011 06:07AM
Thanks for the info. What is a good source. The ones I have found are not that large.
September 25, 2011 10:06AM
Here is one link ;

[www.kjmagnetics.com]
September 25, 2011 01:25PM
UnitedNuclear.com

Your welcome
September 25, 2011 04:46PM
Esteban/Leggo...thanks.....cool websites
September 25, 2011 06:50PM
Roofers use a magnet sweeper on wheels to pick up nails in yards. Wonder about mounting several of these stronger magnets to the bottom instead. ??????
September 25, 2011 08:57PM
Thanks Tom and others. I ordered the 4x2x1. I have a Republic of Texas fort site, that has an area 10x20 ft covered in sq. nails. I found a small dime sized silver Mexican coin there last yr. Looking to see what is hiding in the nails.
September 25, 2011 11:31PM
Start with a F75 LTD/SE in 'bp' mode with 5" DD coil. THEN............ revert to using a Rare Earth magnet. You may be startled!
This post really interested me. I have a drop-off
September 25, 2011 11:37PM
actually two around docks that I have pulled lots of silver and gold out of. I was thinking of using a magnet to clear out all the nails and screws and other ferrous metal in the sand and muck BUT I don't think that is what is intended here. Using one dive to clear out ans much iron as possible with a magnet, LOL but he paid over 300.00 for one?? Way to rich for my blood!!
Re: This post really interested me. I have a drop-off
September 26, 2011 01:07AM
I have seen this performed before.... with fairly good success.
February 15, 2012 02:58AM
the size and sharp should be customed. and the work temprate and other character should be in charged by the materail www.china-magnet.net
February 15, 2012 05:52AM
First off... READ this article... [www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Second... I have performed this procedure. and it was a real eye opening experiance!

Third... The more powerful magnates should be handled as careful as a loaded gun with a hair trigger.
These strong magnates will give you some serious help in the field. (and can cause some serious damage to body parts if you are careless)
February 15, 2012 12:25PM
I roll wrap my earth magnet in many layers of bubble wrap and store it in a plastic coffee can. When I put it in the bed of my pick up it sticks to the bed just enough that I can free it easily, but won't slide around while driving. When I take it to the field I stick it to a three pronged hand cultivator (18" long) and use that setup to rake it through the soil/pit. To rake it over the blanket/plastic just turn it over with the prongs up. It's amazing the little pile of iron you accumulate, from powder to different nail sizes. The iron bits will be inside crumbs of dirt that come for the ride. It's labor intense, so get a good night sleep and bring food and water. I have found some nice coins that would have never seen the light of day if not for that method. One thing I noticed, the deep copper coins are in much better shape verses the shallower ones. Possibly because the fertilizers/acid rain/oxygen may be lacking at those depths. When you carry the magnet, you have to be aware of its location at all times. Keep it out of reach of children AND adults.
February 15, 2012 01:42PM
This was just before (and the purchasing justification) the utilization of a rare-earth magnet.
February 16, 2012 01:29AM
Don't forget to remove wristwatch (analog non digital) when handling ultra powerful magnets. Also credit cards in wallet and probably your cellphone for safe measure.
And now a question for the electrical guru's.....can the gauss field from these magnets permanently damage the LCD screen on a detector?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 01:33AM by TerraDigger.
Tom.. in your 5' x 5' experiment
February 16, 2012 02:04AM
Tom, at the fort where you excavated a 5' x 5' area, 9" deep, you mentioned that there were non ferrous targets among the rust and metal flakes , in the 1 or 2 inch deep dirt on the bedsheet, that were not detectable using the detectors you used. If you could go back in time, would the atpro have had better success picking up those good targets amongst the iron, utilizing the new iron audio system that machine uses? If so, then maybe technology is advancing?
Re: Tom.. in your 5' x 5' experiment
February 16, 2012 10:43AM
No............... but in retrospect....... a 5" coil on the F75 would have been a major attribute........................ BUT................ since I was already excavating .... and removing ALL metallic items ANYWAY....... the 11" DD coil on the F75 was just fine. What I would have really liked.... would have been to have a rare earth magnet at that moment. Now..... I have 3 of them. They are a real time-saver.