Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Can I give you a treasure story

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Can I give you a treasure story
October 15, 2011 07:11PM
Not really about metal detecting but still Treasure....

I heard this tale about 20 year's ago from a good friend of mine who study's treasure lead's more than anyone I have ever known personally ....

He was /is alway's in the loop on info from all source's since he was a detector dealer ....And full time treasure hunter to say the least....

I thought maybe someone would find it fascinating and useful and maybe entertaining...

The way it went is He got this info year's earlier and told it to me on one of our countless late afternoon winter time talk's around the wood burning stove he used to heat his workplace office with.....

There was a guy year's earlier who was getting into the detecting craze of the late 60's early 70's and bought a detector out west .....He was searching around like anyone else ..Looking anywhere they could find to hunt when they first start out.Well one day he was talking to someone about treasure seeking as most all detectorist like to do and the man he was talking to told him of a tale his Grandad had told him as a child....

His Grandad said that he used to frequent a saloon in a town back out in Nevada in the 1800's ..In the Saloon there was this huge mirror that hung behind the bar and it was sort of leaned out from the wall in some peculiar way.The Bar keep ever so often ( probably on a Saturday night) would give free drink's all around if a patron could toss a silver dollar behind the mirror while standing on the customer side of the bar....The way it was explained is it was sort of difficult but doable to get the dollar to go behind the mirror...it was accomplished by a ricochet off the wall precisely...The old Grandad said he saw it done a few time's in his trips to the bar....

The man went on to mention that the Town eventually died out and everyone moved off slowly resettling else where ....He then told the name of the town to this detectorist...

Well he put it in the back of his mind like all of us do and went about hunting for a few more year's...then he got into ghost town detecting looking for the older stuff... And eventually he ran across the old town on a map that the Guy had told him about the saloon being at...

He went to this old ghost town sometime in the 1970's (The arid climate so I am told preserves these old structures well) and actually found the old saloon went inside and (I guess being back then they had not been stripped clean of antique item's yet) found the bar still there and the Mirror was behind the bar but shattered...he took a closer look and the mirror had a backing...He said it was a quite large mirror..Affixed to the wall and sturdily built...He could not get the mirror to come down!!!There was a opening at the top but he could not see in behind it still....

He went back to the vehicle and got some sort of tool.... tire iron??? Don't know .....but went back and pried loose the mirror backing and what happened next was unbelievable my buddy said...Pile's of Silver Dollar's poured out from the void behind the mirror ...so many falling at once they could not be contained...
he gathered them up and checked for any more and after counting them there was over 200 of them...

Just thought I would share it with you..anyone ever visit ghost town's out West ? Might of been a common practice... Who know's?

I like those word of mouth stories that you never see written in book's...they seem a little more believable...

I have quite a few of them I have been told over the year's but that one just seemed to be real to me for some reason...

Would be nice to get that many Morgan Dollar's...Probably a lot of them were the Carson City one's I would guess...

Here's a shot of the style it could of been?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Keith
Re: Can I give you a treasure story
October 15, 2011 09:05PM
Great story! Thanks for sharing it....
October 15, 2011 10:18PM
Indeed truth is stranger than fiction....seniors are sure a great source...even though their thought wander.

One wonders what a drink cost way back then..heck I remember 15 cent drafts and I am not older than dirt..

How come in the movies all the guys would be packing a gun?
October 16, 2011 02:05AM
Great story Keith. I've always wanted to visit one of those old ghost towns.
Thanks
October 16, 2011 08:49AM
Very cool story!

Steve
October 17, 2011 03:38PM
Great story, Keith.
Thanks for sharing.
HH
Mike
October 17, 2011 08:05PM
Great Story Keith! Keep em coming, give us a monthly storytelling post. eheheh

You know, hearing these different stories gives us more places to check - behind mirrors, at fords, etc. You never know.

I sometimes wonder how many caches I have passed over in Nürnberg Germany as many people buried their stuff during the war. I had a neighbor a while ago ask me for help finding his families cache but things fell by the wayside. But in general, I'm too worried about a bomb so walk past big targets. I'm sure there must be a technique to ID'ing them...

EMS