Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pinpointers....your call...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Pinpointers....your call...
November 28, 2011 04:00PM
Hand held or unit attached...??

Heck their is a bunch out there and of course the Sunray is top of the line in unit attached but for those that don't like to add to the weight and bulk of your unit always the handheld.

Garrett pro pinpointer surely is my choice especially if you are familiar with the way to add depth if needed..
Come with a belt holder, audio and vibrates with a light plus built rugged and backed by a two year warranty.

We all have our favorites so feel free to add to the mix..

Certainly don't use for every dig but for those deepies that may be on the side of the hole or a tad deeper or large along with picking a target out of a dirt pile invaluable at times..Along with your headphones don't leave for the hunt without one of your choice...
Re: Pinpointers....your call...
November 28, 2011 04:11PM
The Garrett propointer is my favorite but i also have others.

The old detectorpro pulse ( box version )

The sunrays are ofcourse very good and very best for coinhunting with deep detectors and deep coins in mind. They address your false signals before you have a hole 1 feet deep and out of control messy wise.
November 28, 2011 04:23PM
For you Garrett guys and gals I like to use a nickle...just about doubles your depth and like to use a Jefferson nickle but most coins will work...try it as it really works for those times when you need that 3-4 inch depth...

[www.findmall.com]
November 28, 2011 07:19PM
I thought I never needed one because my tesoro's pinpointed so well. Then I finally broke down and got a harbour freight type, just to see what it would do for me. Well I used that first one for near two years before I moved up to a pro pointer, which is what I use now. I would recommend the H.F. unit to anyone on the fence about getting/needing one, (mine still works as my backup after 3 years of use). It doesn't have the features or depth of the pro pointer, but for $16 its hard to beat. Love the pro pointer, audio, vib and light, its a keeper
November 28, 2011 08:45PM
They really same recovery time. I like the sun ray..... adds a little weight, but you dont loose them, they shut of the main coil and you dont get feed back. Hand helds thou arent detector specific. Beats the heck out of the old method of passing dirt over the coil. Many targets can just be popped out with these deep pin pointers now days. Plus many are water proof or resistant. I had to send my sun ray in once and had to go back to the vibra pro..... man what a depth difference. I thought it would be faster using the old method of dirt over coil again. Pin pointers really allow a clean hole for those who dont PP well.

Dew
November 28, 2011 09:29PM
Detector Pro Pistol Probe is not bad at all, it is really deep and sensitive. On the negative side, it is a little bulky and it does not detect thin Al foils well. All in all, it was a good purchase and I use it with all my detectors. I do pinpoint with the coil, then try the pistol probe. If there is no signal, I cut a 6" plug or dig around 6" deep on a beach. If the target is not in the plug or hole, I remove another 4". It makes my target recovery much quicker. I could use the ProPointer as well, but I consider the better reach and motion operation as two main advantages over the ProPointer.

This Sunday I forgot it at home (with headphones and a spare batterysmiling smiley and I was tough again to use just the coil. The larger the coil, the more I like my Pistol Probe. I am considering the UniProbe as an upgrade later.
November 28, 2011 10:56PM
Grrrrrr.....the pro pointer is the only detecting equipment I never see discounted.....darn thing is always $127.00. I have to keep borrowing my buddies extra one.smiling smiley
November 28, 2011 10:58PM
Underwater I use a 10" coil with the pinpoint button disabled by Fisher. So on land with an 8" coil I don't use a pinpoint button or a pinpointer. I seem to do quite well.
November 28, 2011 11:08PM
I have used the Whites Bullseye, it was just ok. I used a sunray on an E-trac, it was a little cumbersome with the wire but worked well, added even more weight to the E.
I setteled on the Garrett pro pointer, love it. Had it a couple years and it is indestructable. It's sheath is mounted on my pouch belt and kept on the back of my waist. Just whip it out, find the target and back in the sheath...quick.
The reason I keep it behind me is because it interferes with my f-75 when in the < off > position.....don't know why.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2011 11:10PM by ozzie.
November 29, 2011 02:43PM
I use the ProPointer and the SunRay. They both have their pros and cons. Yes.. and as posted earlier the PP is bullet proof, been using the same one for 2yrs w no problem. I especially like the SunRay on the Etrac, although I do not recommend it for the 75LTD as I found it does cause significant EMI.
November 29, 2011 04:21PM
I'm a big fan of the Uniprobes. Totally quiet operation that works with any detector. I like them much better than the Sunray probes or independant handheld probes. The headphones are good and the probe depth is unmatched by most handheld electronic probes.

HH
Mike
December 04, 2011 02:10AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For you Garrett guys and gals I like to use a
> nickle...just about doubles your depth and like to
> use a Jefferson nickle but most coins will
> work...try it as it really works for those times
> when you need that 3-4 inch depth...
>
> [www.findmall.com]
> 6

Ive been considering getting the garrett pointer and seen that trick the other day, Pretty cool. Would it be possible to use elec tape to secure the nickel more permanently ?
December 04, 2011 05:10AM
it won't work that way,,, you must turn on the unit while it's clear of all metal objects,,,,,, then move the coin in on the PP. BTW I just use my digger instead of a coin,,,, much handier and always with me,,,,,
December 04, 2011 09:24AM
TerraDigger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Grrrrrr.....the pro pointer is the only detecting
> equipment I never see discounted.....darn thing is
> always $127.00. I have to keep borrowing my
> buddies extra one.smiling smiley

got mine for $100.00
hint: dealer lives in a "warm" climate!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 04, 2011 10:09AM
Well, for what it's worth -- I have been using a Pro-Pointer for about a year, and I LOVE it. Today, I tried the SunRay X-1 for the first time, and did NOT like it near as well as the Pro-Pointer. I'm sure part of that is that I'm not familiar enough with the X-1, but I thought I would like it alot more than I did. Again, that may change as I use it a bit more, but I think it's going to be hard for me to want to give up my Pro-Pointer. At best, I could see carrying both...

Steve
December 05, 2011 12:08AM
I use the ProPointer .....I bought an E Trac a while back and part of the package was a Pistol Probe .......To me it looked and felt like a toy ....not to mention I hunt NYC parks .....That thing would have gotten me KILLED !!!....LOL !!..... If you really need all that much depth from a Pinponter , it doesn't say much for our skilles with your detector , or how well your detector pinponts .....The ProPonter to me is plenty enough depth wise ....Jim
December 05, 2011 12:33AM
Well, you do not neet that kind of depth. But if you have it and find your way of using it, it can be and advantage for you.
December 05, 2011 01:39AM
My friend has a PP from Garrett. I was going to let him know of the nickel trick BUT it looks like the thread has vanished from Find Mall. Can somebody please tell me how it works?? Thanks
December 05, 2011 03:25AM
turn PP on
slide a piece of metal down from the top until the PP detects it (i use my digger , others use a coin)
slide it back up until the PP stops
hold it there and you have extra depth
done
December 05, 2011 07:58AM
I am not crazy about the Garrett. I look at PPs as a tool and each has a strength if used properly. I have worn the tip off my Fisher PP twice. Yeah I know, but it helps locate the target better! The ProP seems to go off for no reason often and I seem to take longer figuring out where the target is in a larger mushy area. The Fisher is right there or nothing. Using both seems to work okay for me. I try to learn how to make use of as many options as I can figure to best apply when needed. I am having fun striving for mastery of my new craft.
Tom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 05, 2011 08:34AM
Hey Pasttom -- When your Garrett ProP starts "going off" for no reason, shut it off and turn it back on. Sometimes if left on for awhile the sensitivity gets "off kilter." A turn off and back on fixes it...

Steve
December 05, 2011 01:41PM
"When your Garrett ProP starts "going off" for no reason, shut it off and turn it back on. Sometimes if left on for awhile the sensitivity gets "off kilter." A turn off and back on fixes it..."

Good point Steve !!........Jim
December 05, 2011 11:09PM
I've owned the Vibra Probe and the Pistol Probe...Sold them...... Now on my 2nd Garrett Pro...I personally prefer the Garrett...
December 06, 2011 02:13AM
I have the Garrett Pro pointer and love it. My only problem is I tend to leave it laying at the hole sometimes and have to go back and get it. Garrett should put an opening to put a lanyard on for when you detect wearing no belt to hook the case on and with the ability to put a lanyard on it you are not going to walk away leaving it on the ground for someone else to find.
December 06, 2011 07:37AM
Thanks for the help on the Garrett going wild. I do do the reboot thing and it usually helps some, but not always. It does not seem to be battery charge related nor weather/humidity related. I keep it fairly clean and make sure there is not black sand or iron dust deposits on it. It often will seem to be pressure activated.
My main gripe is that it is too vague a response for me. It is more a handgrenade than a pinpoint. I use it for general locating and then find the target with the Fisher or HF unit.
I guess learning to use the Fisher first programed me that way. It just works for me.
Tom
December 06, 2011 02:08PM
Hi Pastom, something's not right with your Garrett PP.
You probably already know the following, if not, maybe this will help;

Excessive down or side pressure will make it chirp.

The sides (to a certain point) of the Garrett will also pick up metal.
So, if your pinpointing with the tip in the hole and there is a piece of metal in the side of the hole (cose to the PP), it will sound off giving the impression the target is at the tip.

One way to check a hole is to start at the top rim and circle the hole in a stirring motion, slowly moving down towards the bottom. If the target is in the plug, use the sides of the PP around the plug.

The chirping tones get faster as you get closer to the target and then a solid tone when touching the target (depends on the size of the target). I can barley feel the vibration so I pay no attention to it.

The Garrett is also sensitive to small bits of metal but they have to be almost touching the PP.

When you turn it on, do it in the air, (not touching anything or near anything). Also, the bigger the metal object, the further away it will pick it up, turn it on and point it at your vehicle you'll see what I mean.

Also, check your gloves and coat sleves for metal buttons or snaps. Don't wear any jewelry (on hands or wrists) when detecting or steel toed boots.
It also has a warranty, I think it's two years.