Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Opinions please........

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Opinions please........
January 21, 2012 11:50PM
I've been around long enough to fully realize that there is no "perfect detector"---but------Which detector/coil combo do you feel was/is the best detector (past or present) for COIN hunting in MINERALIZED ground and TRASHY areas (seperation, TID, depth, etc.)---thoughts???--------------Thanks, Del
Re: Opinions please........
January 21, 2012 11:56PM
Del, I would have to say an Explorer SE Pro hands down in my humble opinion...I still prefer an Explorer SE Pro over an E-trac for me for depth, ID, and tones to name a few...
January 21, 2012 11:56PM
Coins in minerals and trash....

Explorer and Sunray 5 and 8...
January 22, 2012 12:47AM
that 6 x 8 sef coil is awesome in heavy trash , on a FBS machine.
January 22, 2012 02:10AM
Etrac w/ProCoil and 5" SunRay a hard to beat combo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 02:17AM by Aaron.
January 22, 2012 02:23AM
SE Pro or E Trac for Mineralized ground. It has been the Explorer series for some time now. Things have not changed that much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 02:24AM by goodmore.
January 22, 2012 07:09AM
Thanks for the responses guys.-----Sounds like the Minelab FBS machines are getting "the nod" all the way!----------Del
January 22, 2012 07:36AM
I'd concur -- based on my limited experience with several detectors in my irony red clay, it's Minelab FBS, hands down.

Seems to me, in reading most of the posts on this site over the past year, that there is some degree of consensus that one of the best machines for mild soil is an F75 SE/LTD (for a coin and/or relic hunter, especially in trash; perhaps the F75's cousin, the T2 SE, if focused on relic hunting), a CZ-3D seems to be a top choice for coin hunting in mild soil (in areas with limited iron trash), and a Minelab FBS unit seems to get the nod for coin hunting in tougher, mineralized soil. Other units (V3i, AT Pro) also seem to perform well for some. Just my observations, FWIW.

Back to the FBS machines...I concur about the 6x8 SEF coil being a good one; the Pro coil separates fairly well in trash also, but the 6x8 does a better job (and gets good depth). I have recently acquired a SunRay X-5 but haven't used it enough yet to offer much of an opinion, though it came highly recommended.

Steve
January 22, 2012 12:04PM
The 6X8 SEF coil goes really deep. I have recently dug a 10" deep small trash item with it. Many other guys on the forum say it gets close to the depth of the stock coil on the E-Trac.
The E-Trac in my mineralized soil has been the best detector for coins and depth out of: Nautilus IIB, T2, Omega 8000 and V3i.

Good luck,
EMS
January 22, 2012 01:40PM
Del
When you mention "Trashy" I think small coil .....When you mention all of what you mentioned , I think E Trac ......So , all this being said , I have an E Trac with a Pro Coil , and a Sunray S-5 coil .....That's my best land setup I don't need a lot of other coils , and the E Trac goes thru Trash VERY well in NYC parks with the Sunray S-5 coil .....The E Trac has the "See thru" capabilities that allows you to discrimnate trash , while still hearing good targets thru the null .....Jim
January 22, 2012 01:49PM
Personally seems like Minelab is the way to go....still love my CZ's but Explorers and Sov's seem to work where the others struggle.
January 22, 2012 03:18PM
High mineralization AND high trash with good id, & depth...I think that's a tough one.
I guess we could go on and on as there are many detectors out there and no one has tested them all, everywhere. I can understand why Tom didn't reply to this post, there's no known factual answer.
D&P, you did ask for opinions and the above posts are almost unanimous.
January 27, 2012 02:50PM
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here but I say go with the Minelab, hands down.
January 27, 2012 07:08PM
Del, here in Boise just about everyone I know uses the E-Trac. Soil is about the same as yours. Me......I have a need to use an underdog....the Omega. Just so I can gloat when I find something good...hehehehehe
January 27, 2012 08:44PM
Either a Los Bonos 3D or Etrac
Both machines will always be highly sought after for many years to come