Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Minelab Pinpointer Coming!

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Minelab Pinpointer Coming!
January 31, 2012 10:36PM
Saw this on the Friendly detecting forum. Not that this one isn't. Posted by Longhair over there. Thank You for that.

I wish I knew more.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 10:43PM by goodmore.
Re: New Minelab Pinpointer Coming!
January 31, 2012 11:01PM
Hi Goodmore,look like a Garretts, How much are they? I hope it is a good one.
January 31, 2012 11:05PM
The Garrett wil be hard to beat
January 31, 2012 11:08PM
I have no more info. In fact one guy on another forum called BS on the add.

I would love a pin pointer that has

VLF like the Garrett. PI units like the Vibra Probe really interfere with my detectors.
A waterproof pin pointer that can be submerged. I remember Aquachiggar (? spelling) having his Garrett coated in silicone.
A vibrate only mode. I hate drawing attention to my hunting. I taped my Garrett speaker closed with silicone tape. I still hear it.
February 02, 2012 07:10AM
It has two buttons on it. One is an on off button, and I hope the other is for more depth. You know, how the Garrett can go deeper by de-tuning it with a coin near the button.
February 02, 2012 07:41AM
Looks like it is legit as it was supposedly announced by Gary Brun on the MLO forum.

And it does have adjustable sensitivity, see here [metaldetectingforum.com]
February 03, 2012 12:28AM
Wow...interesting...

The adjustable sensitivity, if it is otherwise as good as the Pro-Pointer, would make this a very nice unit...

Steve
February 03, 2012 01:00AM
If Minelab doesn't go cheap on the components and keeps with their past excellent electronic designs, it very well may give the Garrett a run for the money. The Garrett is a fine piece of engineering. And I don't particulary care for Garrett products. I just hope Minelab doesn't think their name will justify some ridiculous price. If they have any sense, they will price it about 15% lower than the Garrett and sell the heck out of it.
February 03, 2012 01:19AM
Terra...

I think we both know it will be priced at LEAST 15% more than the Pro-Pointer (I'm guessing more like 30% more). Heck, the MSRP for a lower shaft for my Minelab machine is almost as much as a Pro-Pointer! smiling smiley

Steve
February 03, 2012 01:48PM
If its built like its detectors and performs as well look forward to it.

I can name two top of the line manufaturers that produce fine detectors but their pinpointers are poor at best so we will see.
February 03, 2012 03:37PM
With the exception of the adjustable sensitivity feature it has & going by the (limited) other description, it "appears" about like the Pro Pointer.-------Humor me, what is the advantage of having an adjustable sensitivity adjustment on a pin pointer?----Is that not just another switch/control to get sand into?-----Just wondering out loud! grin-----------Del
February 03, 2012 04:26PM
Im still using my old Whites,its been ok. I wanted a Garretts but I didnt spring for it because it couldnt be muted, so I stuck with the Whites for its vibration and no sound. Im like Mike Hillis, I like it silent. I see the Minelab will have the option of sound or vibration, that is a selling point to me. Lets just wait and see what the price will be and how it performs. If it is close to the Garrett and price is right, Im going for one.
John
February 03, 2012 05:33PM
D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With the exception of the adjustable sensitivity
> feature it has & going by the (limited) other
> description, it "appears" about like the Pro
> Pointer.-------Humor me, what is the advantage of
> having an adjustable sensitivity adjustment on a
> pin pointer?----Is that not just another
> switch/control to get sand into?-----Just
> wondering out loud! grin-----------Del

Well, imagine normally you get 1.5" or so on a coin. That is good, if you get too much and you are hunting in iron it can be too sensitive and sound off too often. But now there are two situations that come to mind:

1. You can check with normal sensitivity to see if the target is shallow. You can check with more (say 3") sensitivity to see if its deeper. This saves you from digging a plug. This is great on those small targets that are shallow but trick us into thinking it is a deep coin.
2. When you are down around 8" and still don't get a signal, it's nice to have extra sensitivity to see if you are in the right direction.

EMS
February 03, 2012 06:35PM
John-----You can have that option with the Pro Pointer also (either vibration alone or sound & vibration).---I'm like you and Hillis, I like it silent.----I just cut a round piece out of gaffers tape to cover the speaker hole (most any thick tape will do) and you got a "no sound" pin pointer--just vibration.----You could silicone the speaker holes also but that's kind of messy.-----Also, what I REALLY like about the Pro Pointer is the fact that it's built "like a tank", virtually indestructable (so to speak)---simple--(mostly) sealed--and very effective.----Maybe the new Minelab pointer will be to--time will tell!----The thing is, more switches--more potential problems---especially with sand getting in around switches or knobs on a pinpointer that really gets down in the dirt in the hole etc.--------Del
February 03, 2012 07:13PM
earthmansurfer------A couple of good points you made and I suppose that would be a plus for purchasing a Minelab pinpointer with an adjustable sensitivity setting.-----After 36 yrs. in this great hobby and experimenting/trying about every pinpointer known to mankind (for my coin hunting)----let me tell you how I ended up doing it (who knows, you might want to give it a "shot" yourself)! grin------On my Etrac (or any other detectors I have that will "accept" a Sunray in-line probe), I have a in-line probe mounted, I also carry a hand held Pro Pointer.------The in-line gets me the good depth & gives me the detector tones to locate the target in the hole but (many) times gives too broad of a signal to really zero in on the target.----That's where the Pro Pointer comes into play (at that point)---I can then whip out the Pro Pointer & VERY quickly & accurately locate the target and get it out of there thus avoiding any frustration (chasing) and possible damage to the target (coin).---Also, if need be, you can "double trigger" the Pro Pointer (when in the hole & close to the target, shut the Pro Pointer off, then turn it on again)--this de-sensitizes (ratchets down) the Pro Pointer & makes it even better on "zeroing in" on the target.----This has the same effect on the Pro Pointer as it does in "double triggering" a detector.--------Who knows, maybe the new Minelab pinpointer will accomplish (most) of the above described!------But the REAL advantage of what I have described is the fact that the Sunray in-line INITIALLY gives you the good depth AND tone info on the target in the first place (in concert with the detector) before you go any further with the above procedure.-----------Del

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 07:28PM by D&P-OR.
February 03, 2012 07:36PM
Hey Del, Thanks for that description. I've wondered about the Sunray's and almost had one but it fell through. I do like the Garrett Pro Pointer, it is really really nice and works well. I have to try what you said, about detuning it in the hole. I opened mine up a while ago and severed a wire and my neighbor soldered it back. But now it seems that I have to restart it on occasion as it falses! Anway, it gives symptoms like being overcharged but I think the wire inside is damaged. It still works well enough though. I'll try your method.

I do look forward to that Minelab Pro Pointer. If that can do what the Garrett does, in the way of doubling depth to 3" then I'm sold. The Garret can do that if you do the coin sliding trick to get it more sensitized. Also, would be nice to turn off the sound at certain places (I tape mine as well, but it just quiets it down. It's how I damaged mine as above, I put the tape on the inside over the mini speaker, then opened it to take it off and the damage happened. Tight fit!)

Thanks Del,
Albert
February 04, 2012 04:19AM
I hope it only reads at the tip. That is what I don't like about the ProPointer...it reads the whole length of the probe part.

The Pistol Probe is a much better probe but wont work in my ground here (it sounds off on the ground itself) but reads from the tip end and can get 3" on a coin.

Very interested in the Minelab version. I just sold my inline probe for the eTrac because of the extra weight. I wear a carpenters belt with harness and can add things to my belt and not notice it. I will have to demo this thing.
February 04, 2012 09:12AM
I have such a feeling, that it is a fake. It is just one low resolution picture rotated. April 2012 - isn't it the April's fool (or how you call it)?
February 04, 2012 05:15PM
Advertised Price is 169.00
February 04, 2012 05:41PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Advertised Price is 169.00

So, that means it will sell for around 130 to 140 is my guess.
The Garrett Pro Pointer retails for 150 and sells for 120 or so.

I bet they want it to be priced a little bit + above the Garrett to "show" it's better. Will be interesting to see how that sensitivity switch works - that is a GREAT feature potentially.

EMS
February 05, 2012 01:50AM
Its not a fake.

Minelab will release this probe in april, their first probe.

Its probably a good probe too, probes have long been forgotten in the industry and there is only a few good ones to chose from.

I have the Garret propointer and the detectorpro Uniprobe with the box. Those works good for me. Sunrays are also very good probes and i think most of You reading this regards the 3 brands I have mentioned as the 3 best.

What i dont like about the advertising here is " water resistant " does it have the best possible swithes and seals ? Is it made from chinese ToysRus plastic or a durable plastic.

I hate to remind us all. Have any of you compared the Lesche hand digger with the minelab Copy...?

Also, the Garrett is made from one single plastic component with a battery lid. The minelab seem to me to be made from two pieces, a lower and upper part. How is the seam between the two parts constructed. A bend here, a bend there...--- result..?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 02:48AM by frnifo.
February 05, 2012 06:03AM
Frnifo..good pre-emptive analysis. Definitely a wait & see situation.
February 05, 2012 11:14AM
It would be hard to improve the Garrett PP..... except for adding a remote locator to it.
February 05, 2012 02:50PM
I can think of several ways to improve on the Garrett and that is just off the top of my head so it wouldn't be that hard to do lol.
February 05, 2012 04:25PM
> It would be hard to improve the Garrett PP..... except for adding a remote locator to it.

What do you mean "remote locator"? Something to help find it when you left it laying in tall grass?

> I can think of several ways to improve on the Garrett and that is just off the top of my head so it wouldn't be that hard to do lol.

Let's hear 'em!
February 05, 2012 04:47PM
Geotech,

Thanks for the reminder. I have to go back to the woods when the snow melts and search for the one I left there in November!
Has anyone invented a Garrett Propointer detector yet?.....

Pete
February 05, 2012 06:05PM
1. As said before, I don't like a pinpointer to read from the sides...just from the tip. That would be one of the big changes I would make to the ProPointer.

2. Something besides an on/off push button to activate it...and or an automatic timer to cut it off. I think the VibraProbe people are on the right track with how theirs works.

3. I like vibration over sound so I wouldn't even have a speaker on it. I can't tell you the number if times I've got attention drawn to me while hunting a park or something and having to break the pinpointer out. That thing is loud...can hear them 30+ yards away with headphones on...so you know it can be heard farther by folks without headphones. I actually found one at a DIV hunt this way. It had fallen out of the guys holster and luckily was still on. I was in a field hunting and ever so often would hear a beeping sound but nobody was around. I closed in on it and found it...he had scratched his name onto it and we were able to get it back to him but that is the only usefulness of having sound on one that I've seen. I would much more prefer vibration over beeps.

4. For the reason above I would make them in a florescent color of sorts lol perhaps blaze orange or florescent green and black. Something to stand out and not be mistaken for a weapon while hunting a public site. I loved certain features of the pistol probe but the overall look of it from a distance wasn't very public friendly....ESPECIALLY in a school yard or park. I have a handgun carry permit that allows me to carry in the open but I always keep it concealed because of the unwanted attention that open carry brings.

5. Waterproof and shock proof it to say...5 or 6 feet. If they can do this to a digital camera and video camera...a pinpointing probe should be able to be done as well.
February 05, 2012 09:24PM
Yes Geotec, like when your looking for your car in a big parking lot.
February 05, 2012 11:14PM
Geotech --

I agree with Daniel on some things, not on others. I, for one, LIKE having the pinpointer read down the side of the probe, not JUST the tip. It makes it MUCH EASIER, in my opinion, to locate a target embedded in the side of your hole, when you can just run the side of the pinpointer around the walls of the hole. When you hit the target, THEN you can turn the "tip" of the probe toward the target to "narrow in."

I'm OK with the on/off button, but something a little easier to depress, with gloves on, would help. Many times, wearing gloves, I press the button and it "beeps" like it turned on, but it doesn't "engage" fully, and thus when I release the pressure on the button, it goes back off again. With gloves on, it seems like you have to press it REALLY hard to get the button to fully engage.

I like vibration AND sound, but I agree there are times when JUST vibration would be useful (when hunting around crowds, like was mentioned). Could an "on/off" switch for the sound also be included?

FLUORESCENT -- YES!!

Waterproof and shock proof, YES! I have had no problems with mine getting "wet," but I am always nervous when laying it in, say, dew-covered grass...

Finally, adjustable sensitivity, or even just a "boost" switch, would be great. Usually, the distance to which the unit will detect is PERFECT. However, there are times when a little more "uumph" would be great -- like on a real deep coin that is just a couple more inches past the bottom of your hole (or into the side of the hole).

Oh, and making the LED light BRIGHTER would also be great. If it takes a couple more bulbs, so be it.

Bottom line, it's a GREAT pinpointer. But with these improvements, I think it would be UNBEATABLE (unless, of course, you could lower the price some, ALSO! smiling smiley )

Steve
February 06, 2012 01:43AM
> 1. As said before, I don't like a pinpointer to read from the sides...just from the tip. That
> would be one of the big changes I would make to the ProPointer.

This is unlikely. Probes typically have a long cylindrical coil and regardless of the detection method (IB, PI, or energy theft) have side sensitivity.

> 2. Something besides an on/off push button to activate it...and or an automatic timer to cut it
> off. I think the VibraProbe people are on the right track with how theirs works.

You either need a mechanical switch or a motion switch. The problem with a motion switch is accidental turn-on, which is a complaint I've heard with the VibraProbe.

> 3. I like vibration over sound so I wouldn't even have a speaker on it.

Agreed, there needs to be a way to disable the beeper.

> 4. For the reason above I would make them in a florescent color of sorts lol perhaps blaze orange
> or florescent green and black.

How about the yellow White's uses for its water loops?

> 5. Waterproof and shock proof it to say...5 or 6 feet. If they can do this to a digital camera and
> video camera...a pinpointing probe should be able to be done as well.

True, but photographers don't tend to be nearly as abusive as detectorists.

- Carl