Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Minelab Pinpointer Coming!

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New Minelab Pinpointer Coming!
February 06, 2012 01:53AM
> I, for one, LIKE having the pinpointer read down the side of the probe, not JUST the tip.

You're going to get that whether you like it or not.

> I'm OK with the on/off button, but something a little easier to depress, with gloves on, would
> help.

Bigger button, and maybe a momentary switch.

> Could an "on/off" switch for the sound also be included?

Maybe an internal switch, like on the Bullseye.

> FLUORESCENT -- YES!!

Non-fluorescent yellow?

> Finally, adjustable sensitivity, or even just a "boost" switch, would be great. Usually, the
> distance to which the unit will detect is PERFECT. However, there are times when a little more
> "uumph" would be great -- like on a real deep coin that is just a couple more inches past the bottom
> of your hole (or into the side of the hole).

Why not higher sensitivity always, with the ability to de-tune?

> Oh, and making the LED light BRIGHTER would also be great. If it takes a couple more bulbs, so be
> it.

Yup, I've noticed that.

> But with these improvements, I think it would be UNBEATABLE
> (unless, of course, you could lower the price some, ALSO! smiling smiley )

Do you want it made by Americans or Chinese?

- Carl
February 06, 2012 03:56AM
Geo --

Not sure what a "momentary" switch is, for the "on/off" switch, but yes, larger switch might help...

For the sound on/off option, I'd prefer an "external" switch, I think...something I could change "on the fly." I'm thinking it could be JUST LIKE the on/off button (maybe smaller?) BUT, an internal switch (in the battery compartment, maybe?) could work. Especially if the concern is in trying to keep it as waterproof as possible (i.e. fewer external controls, the better). As long as I could turn it on or off without major "dis-assembly" of the probe, I'd be good with that.

Yellow would be fine, would be more visible than black...

Higher sensitivity as the default, I'm thinking I may not like that...I'd have to think on it. I really like the sensitivity where it's at -- it seems to have a perfect amount of detection distance for most circumstances, but that's just my opinion. BUT -- there are those times that I'd like to be able to "boost" the sensitivity, such as when I have detected a target, but I can't find it in the plug OR in the hole, and I'm at a loss. It is at THOSE times that I'd like to "boost" it to, say, double sensitivity, just to see if I can figure out where my target is. Overall, though, I don't think I'd like it as well with a much higher default sensitivity.

Made by Americans or Chinese? Excellent point. Enough said! smiling smiley

Steve
February 06, 2012 04:19AM
the Pro Pointer HAS adjustable sens,,,,,,use the "nickel trick" ( I use my digger) to boost it or turn it on with the tip close to a metal object to de-tune it,,,,,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 04:19AM by wurthless.
February 06, 2012 04:33AM
Wurthless -- I know what you are saying, about the "nickel trick." My problem is, I can't keep the coin "steady" enough as I'm sticking the digger in the hole; inevitably, it moves slightly and starts setting off the probe! I would like the "nickel trick" to be formalized, in the form of a "boost" button! smiling smiley

Steve
February 06, 2012 06:15AM
> Not sure what a "momentary" switch is, for the "on/off" switch, but yes, larger switch might
> help...

The Garrett switch has an 'on' position and an 'off' position. Often you press it hard enough to get the initial connection but not hard enough to click into the 'on' position, so as soon as you release the button it shuts off. A momentary switch is what most keypad-based detectors have, you press the key and the circuitry self-locks into the 'on' mode until you press the key again.

> For the sound on/off option, I'd prefer an "external" switch, I think...something I could
> change "on the fly." I'm thinking it could be JUST LIKE the on/off button (maybe smaller?) BUT,
> an internal switch (in the battery compartment, maybe?) could work. Especially if the concern is
> in trying to keep it as waterproof as possible (i.e. fewer external controls, the better).

Yes, more holes = more leaks.

> Higher sensitivity as the default, I'm thinking I may not like that...I'd have to think on it. I
> really like the sensitivity where it's at -- it seems to have a perfect amount of detection
> distance for most circumstances, but that's just my opinion.

Most people who use the Bullseye say "needs more sensitivity!" It gets ~1-1/2" on a nickel, the Garrett is only slightly better at 2". The Pistol Probe is way better, but it is PI and drives detectors crazy. We can do a PI probe that gets crazy depth and drives detectors crazy, or we can do an IB probe that gets 2", maybe 3" max. Is that "too deep"? What if, when you power up, you hold the probe tip next to big metal (like a digger) and it kicks into low-sens mode? Again, I'd like to not have another switch.

> Made by Americans or Chinese? Excellent point.
> Enough said! smiling smiley

American-made metal detectors cost a lot because, well, they are made by Americans! It's an odd industry in that Garrett, Tesoro, First Texas, White's, Nautilus, and Detector Pro all still make their products in American factories, ergo part of the reason for relatively high prices. We could all move to off-shore factories and cut our prices in half, but we'd have to fire a whole lot of American workers, and that is primarily what's driving our economic woes right now. In short, I think I speak for all the US detector manufacturers when I say "thank you" for supporting American jobs.

- Carl
February 06, 2012 12:45PM
Carl......... Sharing a Mfr's 'mindset' as to why specific paths/directions are chosen.... is the apotheosis of tuitional wealth. You may be 'bashed' ...... you may be 'praised'. In either case...... it is all 'positive educational feedback' of which poses priceless implications/directions for future product development.... as the end resultant. There is a lot of 'emotional passion' from the members on this forum (due to unfettered freedom-of-speech); subsequently, "knowledge gain" has the uncanny 'appearance' of "ruffled-feathers" ...... (sometimes). FYI.
The motto of this forum is: Be honest, professional, candid, truthful. So far...... this has not been infringed.

Why am I telling you this: You might be slightly more 'targeted' for extra-special attention! If you can see 'beyond' whatever emotions that may arise.......... underlying priceless wealth prevails.

Again, thanks for your professional sharing.
February 06, 2012 01:01PM
It would have to be a color that's different from any natural colors that may be on the ground at any time of the year. Another thought is that if it was easy to spot, a passerby may also see it, then it's gone. If I leave it at a hole, I always know the last hole I dug and know it's missing at the next hole. So keeping it black may be a good thing and also keep the price down.

I like it to read from the sides, comes in handy more than not.

The push button seems to wear/break-in so it becomes easy to push on and off after use (good).

I like the design as is, basic/simple, durable, long battery life, depth, that's why they sell and are so popular.

Oh, Geotec, the remote locator idea was just a little humor.
February 06, 2012 02:25PM
Isn't it a little hypocritical to bring the "buy only Made in USA" thing to the table on a forum....while typing it from an electronic device (PC, mobile phone, etc) that 99% of which is NOT made in the USA? I can certainly understand the premises behind it but how much are you really helping by being selective on which metal detector you buy via where its manufactured....when 99% of all other electronic devices you use every day come from foreign manufacturing? Metal detectors make up a very small percentage of overall electronics in the world so I don't see it making much of an impact to be picky about detectors and not other electronic devices you purchase. Just my take on that. I see it being more of a sales tactic right now for those detector companies that can claim that title...because its the only thing they can hold against the foreign made ones (Minelab and XP) that are kicking their tails in performance on machines currently available. So I guess if ya can't bring machines to the table to compete...then run with the only angle you have, which in this case seems to be "support your countrymen...buy only American" typed on a PC made in China or Japan.

Heck I have three Whites Metal Detectors T-Shirts that are printed on Hanes brand shirts with labels that say "Made in Haiti" :-)

And two Fisher Labs metal detector hats made in Bangladesh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 02:28PM by Daniel Tn.
February 06, 2012 03:53PM
Carl.

I sent you a PM.

I think his problem with the Garrett probe is that it is designed to detect with its side, not the effect all others have that is not designed that way.

Whites yellow is good.

Wireless... YES.. no hole for speaker.

One single sturdy unit as the Garrett with a sealed endcap for battery.
February 06, 2012 05:37PM
> Isn't it a little hypocritical to bring the "buy only Made in USA" thing to the table on a
> forum....while typing it from an electronic device (PC, mobile phone, etc) that 99% of which is NOT
> made in the USA? I can certainly understand the premises behind it but how much are you really
> helping by being selective on which metal detector you buy via where its manufactured....when 99% of
> all other electronic devices you use every day come from foreign manufacturing?

Hi Daniel,

Yes, most electronics have been off-shored, like most shoes, and most textiles, and most toys, and, well, most everything! Made in China has the wonderful short-term effect of phenomenally low prices, coupled with a long-term effect of no jobs. The current economic situation makes it painfully obvious we can no longer manufacture our way out of a recession. I am paying a lot more attention to what I buy and where it comes from.

On performance, we are working hard on that!

- Carl
February 06, 2012 06:29PM
Amen to that!!!

Geotech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Isn't it a little hypocritical to bring the "buy
> only Made in USA" thing to the table on a
> > forum....while typing it from an electronic
> device (PC, mobile phone, etc) that 99% of which
> is NOT
> > made in the USA? I can certainly understand the
> premises behind it but how much are you really
> > helping by being selective on which metal
> detector you buy via where its
> manufactured....when 99% of
> > all other electronic devices you use every day
> come from foreign manufacturing?
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Yes, most electronics have been off-shored, like
> most shoes, and most textiles, and most toys, and,
> well, most everything! Made in China has the
> wonderful short-term effect of phenomenally low
> prices, coupled with a long-term effect of no
> jobs. The current economic situation makes it
> painfully obvious we can no longer manufacture our
> way out of a recession. I am paying a lot more
> attention to what I buy and where it comes from.
>
> On performance, we are working hard on that!
>
> - Carl
what is wrong with the pistol probe
February 06, 2012 09:40PM
i liked my detector pro pistol probe a whole lot better thsnmy pro pointer or any other garret ive had the pistol probe is deep and accurate only reads on the tip couldnt imagine there being a better on it reads a nickel in test garden at 6 inches threshold half way
Re: what is wrong with the pistol probe
February 06, 2012 11:26PM
The Pistol Probe is a very nice pinpointer except for a few things in my opinion.

First it looks like a gun. Being from the county that had the Nickel Mines tradgedy this is not a good thing. The Police will be showing up if I detect a country school. I always wanted to leave this world using my probe, but not that one.

Secondly the probe interferes with my main detector. So does the Vibraprobe. PI Units!

Third is the switch. Not unique to the Pistol Probe the switch wears out.

My point is there is room for improvement in the probe business. We as customers and users give our feedback. It is up to the manufacturers to listen. And I will spend more for an American made product.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2012 11:32PM by goodmore.
February 06, 2012 11:28PM
See, I'm not kidding :-) I'm not upset about anything. Just seems like the "buy only made in USA" thing is a bit out of place here. Especially when afore mentioned USA companies are using foreign products for their appearal lines.

February 06, 2012 11:50PM
Carl --

As NASA-Tom said, THANKS for being on here and interacting with us. It is much appreciated; you don't NEED to do that, but the fact that you are is a big deal, to me.

"Momentary" switch? Got it -- yes, that sounds good.

Also, I got it, on the "fewer external openings, the better." Thus, a "volume on/off" switch needs to be internal. OK. And, along the same lines, you'd like NOT to have a "sensitivity" SWITCH...

OK, then if you went with an increased sensitivity from say, 2" to 3", I'd be fine with that, given the functionality you mentioned where putting the probe next to a big piece of metal when powering it on "detunes" it, cutting sensitivity down to, say, half way; I think that overall concept would work just fine, at least for me. Satisfies the "more depth," and the "ability to zero in tight" at the same time, with NO need for a switch.

I think all these things, and the different color, would work great.

Oh -- and I'd like it NOT to screw with my machine, so PI -- not for me. I'd prefer IB. Is there a market for one of each, to satisfy folks who prefer one or the other?

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 07:58AM by steveg.
April 01, 2012 06:25PM
Any news on this thing yet? Was suppose to debut in early April. Well it's early April. lol
April 01, 2012 07:15PM
April Fool
April 01, 2012 07:16PM
I was waiting for this thread to be bumped. My Pro Pointer has been on the outs for the last month. Still has a few more months left and I'm interested to see how the Minelabe pinpointer is. I really like that it has two sensitivity levels.
April 01, 2012 07:26PM
No April Fools joke. I asked about this with my local Minelab dealer in February when we were talking about it on here. I wanted any inside info he might have, and all he knew was it was legit and suppose to be coming out in April 2012.
April 01, 2012 09:54PM
The nickel trick on the Garrett pinpointer. Sliding/holding a nickle by hand in the field, doesn't work well. Here's an idea for those that have a garage with tools. I don't. Permanently attach a plastic 'slide' device with nickle/piece of metal attached to it, on the Garrett. Then all one does is use thumb to slide nickle/piece of metal up & down as needed, to increase sensitivity.
April 02, 2012 01:06AM
Sent Don Dodson an email earlier today about the pinpointer and got a reply back.

He said Minelab was initially saying April 2012, but have since pushed the date back...and they haven't gave an exact date as of yet. All they are saying to dealers is "sometime in 2012".
April 02, 2012 01:45AM
Man I think I am going to have to get another Garrett before the thing is released. Thank you for the info.
April 02, 2012 04:18AM
My Tiny-Tec pinpointer lasted me 15 years and only cost $30.00

I just purchased the Harbor Freight pinpointer for $15.00 and it's doing the job.
April 02, 2012 02:58PM
Detectorist Wrote:
> My Tiny-Tec pinpointer lasted me 15 years and only
> cost $30.00
>
> I just purchased the Harbor Freight pinpointer for
> $15.00 and it's doing the job.

The Harbor Freight Cen Tech is a great value. If you use it against an Automax V4, you'll sell the V4 quickly. It is really is that much better. It will have roughly the same performance as a Bounty Hunter / Fisher F Pointer. Maybe slightly better depending on the target.

The switch on the Cen Tech should be upgraded as they will eventually clog with dirt and fail. Its extremely easy to fix if it goes out. Most all of the available pin pointers will eventually need a new switch, all of them.

I modded a Cen Tech for a friend who had to have it and he is still using it for the last two years.

Install a better switch like a SPST Micromini Toggle Switch
Model:275-624 | Catalog #: 275-624 (Radio Shack about $3 ) , silicone it from the inside and reinforce it with another washer on the outside.

Upgrade mod / add vibration - - Install 3VDC Micro-Vibration Motor Model:273-107 | Catalog #: 273-107 ( Radio Shack $4 )
This should be wired up to the piezo element that is attached to the inside front cover. be careful to only glue the body of the vibrator element and not the tip of the shaker.

You can also reinforce the probe shaft with a section of PVC tube. Slip it over the probe but make sure its shorter than the entire length of the probe shaft. You'll want to leave the last 2+ inches bare. Fill the empty space between the probe shaft and your reinforcement shroud with automotive bondo, epoxy or silicone.
Please note: If you do this part of the mod you will be able to dig though the soil more confidently but you will not be able to separate the units case if the switch fails etc.

There are a few youtube videos for upgrading the switch and adding the vibration.
April 02, 2012 04:00PM
Lots of good ideas...now lets wait and see....as a good pinpointer is a must for a serious detectorist.
April 02, 2012 04:01PM
American detectors compete very well at their price levels, thank you.

Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Isn't it a little hypocritical to bring the "buy
> only Made in USA" thing to the table on a
> forum....while typing it from an electronic device
> (PC, mobile phone, etc) that 99% of which is NOT
> made in the USA? I can certainly understand the
> premises behind it but how much are you really
> helping by being selective on which metal detector
> you buy via where its manufactured....when 99% of
> all other electronic devices you use every day
> come from foreign manufacturing? Metal detectors
> make up a very small percentage of overall
> electronics in the world so I don't see it making
> much of an impact to be picky about detectors and
> not other electronic devices you purchase. Just my
> take on that. I see it being more of a sales
> tactic right now for those detector companies that
> can claim that title...because its the only thing
> they can hold against the foreign made ones
> (Minelab and XP) that are kicking their tails in
> performance on machines currently available. So I
> guess if ya can't bring machines to the table to
> compete...then run with the only angle you have,
> which in this case seems to be "support your
> countrymen...buy only American" typed on a PC made
> in China or Japan.
>
> Heck I have three Whites Metal Detectors T-Shirts
> that are printed on Hanes brand shirts with labels
> that say "Made in Haiti" :-)
>
> And two Fisher Labs metal detector hats made in
> Bangladesh.
April 02, 2012 07:30PM
Detectorist -- You are correct if you hunt tot lots for recent lost clad. A WalMart detector can do that.
April 02, 2012 09:07PM
You know that's not true, Daniel.

Vast collections of great relics have been amassed using USA detectors. Are you saying that all the CZs, Teknetics T2SE, Fisher F75SE, Garrett AT Pro, and White's detectors are only good for tot lots?

I've got a Deus. I'm thinking about trading for an F75SE and a Troy X5......thinking about it.
April 02, 2012 11:50PM
I hope it does not weigh a ton !
April 03, 2012 02:20PM
Wow, Pulltabs...thanks, great information!!

At $15.00 i can afford to mess up one experimenting.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant Wrote:
> Detectorist Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > My Tiny-Tec pinpointer lasted me 15 years and
> only
> > cost $30.00
> >
> > I just purchased the Harbor Freight pinpointer
> for
> > $15.00 and it's doing the job.
>
>
> The Harbor Freight Cen Tech is a great value. If
> you use it against an Automax V4, you'll sell the
> V4 quickly. It is really is that much better. It
> will have roughly the same performance as a Bounty
> Hunter / Fisher F Pointer. Maybe slightly better
> depending on the target.
>
> The switch on the Cen Tech should be upgraded as
> they will eventually clog with dirt and fail. Its
> extremely easy to fix if it goes out. Most all of
> the available pin pointers will eventually need a
> new switch, all of them.
>
> I modded a Cen Tech for a friend who had to
> have it and he is still using it for the last two
> years.
>
> Install a better switch like a SPST Micromini
> Toggle Switch
> Model:275-624 | Catalog #: 275-624 (Radio Shack
> about $3 ) , silicone it from the inside and
> reinforce it with another washer on the outside.
>
> Upgrade mod / add vibration - - Install 3VDC
> Micro-Vibration Motor Model:273-107 | Catalog #:
> 273-107 ( Radio Shack $4 )
> This should be wired up to the piezo element that
> is attached to the inside front cover. be careful
> to only glue the body of the vibrator element and
> not the tip of the shaker.
>
> You can also reinforce the probe shaft with a
> section of PVC tube. Slip it over the probe but
> make sure its shorter than the entire length of
> the probe shaft. You'll want to leave the last 2+
> inches bare. Fill the empty space between the
> probe shaft and your reinforcement shroud with
> automotive bondo, epoxy or silicone.
> Please note: If you do this part of the mod you
> will be able to dig though the soil more
> confidently but you will not be able to separate
> the units case if the switch fails etc.
>
> There are a few youtube videos for upgrading the
> switch and adding the vibration.