Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A walk in the Park in Jan...

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A walk in the Park in Jan...
January 31, 2012 11:36PM
Well been a mild winter here in N.E. Pa. and around 50 today so armed with my old Tesoro Toltec 11 with notch set so low foil to high nickle is low and dimes up is high ventured out in Jan for the first time in years...Pretty slim pickings in the local park but managed some clad including a Sac. dollar. Must have went over a 100 plus targets in the ring range but only dug 12 and got fooled by a large piece of foil, small key, lead sinker couple of old misshapen tabs and misc.heavier junk but right before I left dug that one that just sounded different and pulled a shallow 14 kt gold Claddagh irish ring. Was I lucky...sure was but thank goodness for audio variances in older Tesoro units. For those that think perhaps I missed another in the other 100 plus that I didn't dig...1 out of 12 is easy on the back and landscape and if I dug the other 100 might not have had time to go over this one and of course the trained ear took time as have used every Tesoro notch unit ever made. Sure a nice way to start the year and perhaps the next one will have a nice stone.
Whoops:
February 01, 2012 12:54AM
Excuse the senior moment Toltec series were good units but was using the Golden Sabre 11 and the Toltec 11 was a poor remake of the infamous heavy Toltec 100 which was an excellent ID unit..
Re: Whoops:
February 01, 2012 03:51AM
Nice goin Dan, you gotta get out with that machine more often!
BTW....thought you sold that machine back maybe 4-5yrs back?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 11:19AM by Aaron.
Re: A walk in the Park in Jan...
February 01, 2012 04:28AM
Way to go Dan .....Nice work !!....Jim
February 01, 2012 08:46AM
"Excuse the senior moment"......that made me laugh. I may have to start using that for myself.
February 01, 2012 05:16PM
Aaron yep I did but with the price of gold and more hunting of local parks and less traveling for deep silver I picked up an excellent one...you know me so many detectors so little time......

First year I hunted with notch Tesoro's and got 10 land gold rings but hooked up with a silver coin guy and for years deep silver was my passion and CZ's and Explorers worked well. Still not done with deep silver but thats why a golfer has different clubs in his bag as different detectors depending what you are looking for and imagine most forum members have a couple of weapons in their arsenal..
February 01, 2012 09:33PM
Thats a real respectable amount of inland gold. Do you remember what the average amount of pulltabs/foil you dug per ring and what size rings are you talkin about?
Thanks
February 04, 2012 01:37AM
I know what you mean Dan. I love my E-trac and CZ-3D,But must admit to thinking about getting a new Golden myself with the new 4 tone I.D. as I must have some type of tone I.D. on all my detectors. And it would be nice to give my shoulder a break from time to time at 2.2 pounds,one 9 volt battery and a lifetime warranty how can you go wrong?
February 04, 2012 05:30PM
Hi Aaron....the way I set up my GS 11 is with my notch and disc. accept low foil to high nickle which probably gives me 60 percent of the gold rings lost and if I get the low tone which emcompasses this area I use audio variances and usually dig very few as I know right away most of the junk as its much lighter than a gold ring and sounds different. Of course the high tone is dimes and above with some older pennies mixed in. Great for shallow targets in parks and pinpoints better than anything on the market.
2nd way to use is in disc. not using notch whereas the notch number setting is indicative of the tone...basically set the notch number where it gives a double audio on a zinc penny..everything below is low audio tone ...everything above high for dimes up and of course low runs from foil thru square tabs.
If you pick up the unit you are looking at perhaps I can give you a crash course as tough to explain in a post.
Last time out must have went over a hundred plus targets and only dug 12 to get the gold ring so to a trained ear audio variances work.
For you doubters my pleasure as your breaking your back digging and I am analyzing from the top so to each his own. Make sure you discard all the junk properly as you don't want to dig it again next time around...
February 04, 2012 09:30PM
Dan,Dan, the Tesoro Man!
February 04, 2012 11:30PM
Correction:
CZ/TESORO MAN!
February 05, 2012 04:34AM
Thanks guys....just luv those Explorers also as hot on silver and give a lot of info...if they made a lightweight one would go like hot cakes....