Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The adventures ( or shall I say misadventures of detecting ) with pics...

Posted by yardhunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The adventures ( or shall I say misadventures of detecting ) with pics...
February 12, 2012 04:40AM
.........yep, I had the day off recently & it was suppose to 50 degrees where I live. That's rare this time of the year. I had been trying to track down permission to detect a site where a 2 story brick house built around the 1790's burned 2 years ago.
I stopped by the homeowners house ( about 1/2 mile from burned house ) to ask permission. Noticing there was nobody at home, I proceeded to leave when my truck wouldn't start. Hmmm, now this is wonderful.

I figured this wouldn't look too good being in their driveway trying to get this truck started. After noticing the driveway has a slope to it, I pushed the truck to get it rolling, jumped into it& rolled out onto the street. I pulled over to the side of the road near their entrance & popped the hood. I realized the starter was broke after I tried jumper starter box I carry with me all the time.

Suddenly another vehicle pulled up & asked if I needed help. Yep, need a jump if possible to get this truck started. We tried everything & I told him the starter must be broke & I'm going to take it off here & get a ride to town & get it fixed. While I was talking to the gentleman, I asked if he knew the family of the site I was wanting to detect.

Wouldn't you know it, he was the owner! WOW, at least after a year, I was talking to the owner. I gave him my metal detecting business card & he gave me permission to detect the site.
Wonderful, awesome & I'm excited. Unfortunately, I'm going to spend 3-4 hours of my day off fooling with this starter & THEN go detecting.

Here "I am getting this rascal off the truck.....

Wouldn't you know it......as I'm taking this starter off, a white barn cat kept crawling on my belly wanting my attention. Everytime I rolled over to get a tool & shove this cat off of me, it would crawl back on my belly....jeeze....

I had to get a picture of this cat because I can't believe it myself!
Finding a friend to come & get me.....I took this pic of the truck, starter on the ground & the guard cat. Here is the sad looking situation.....

The site I want to hunt is just beyond the 2nd light pole in this pic.....

I almost wanted to just walk down there & forget the truck.......but.....

after 3 hours, $30.00 for a rebuilt starter....
I'm back in business......

I did get to hunt the site finally. I only had about 2 hours left after dealing with this starter issue.....

The burnt out house was just beyond the trees in the picture below. Amazingly, the grass is as low as your front yard & I could use my E-tool there. I was excited to finally get some time at this site. 200 years of possible finds may be lost in this massive front yard. I wasted no time getting ready my 3D out & putting her to good use.

Here's what I found.....

I found a few wheaties, pocket knife, a religious medal & a 1840 large cent. The LC was 5" deep & the CZ was "singing" away thru my headphones. I had to quit soon afterwards due to other commitments. I'm heading back to this place again soon.......and...this time with a great looking & WORKING starter.
Thanks for looking...............see ya yardhunter
Re: The adventures ( or shall I say misadventures of detecting ) with pics...
February 12, 2012 05:01AM
Well look on the bright side, you don't have to worry about getting your truck to start now.......... more time to hit that sweet spot you have and looking forward to some real nice finds.
good luck
cd
February 12, 2012 07:40AM
Cool finds, and I think you have a GREAT site lined up. Thanks for the story, too -- enjoyed it. My daughter would like that cat, I'm thinking...seems awful friendly! smiling smiley

Steve
February 12, 2012 11:21AM
Enjoyed the story along with the pictures Yardhunter.
There is a cat at a place where I got permission to detect. She would jump up on my back and sit on my shoulders while on my knees searching for the target. Then she would jump off and put her head in the hole as if trying to help. The homeowner would get a kick out of this as did I. I constantly had to pick her up and put her aside so I could search the hole. After a few visits to the property, it seemed like the cat recognized my truck and would come from the barn to visit and follow me around. There are many things that add to the joy of detecting, thanks for reminding us!
February 12, 2012 12:30PM
The delay of a broken starter....... may have been the exact ticket of 'what' got you permission to (finally meet) the owner...... and acquire a 'yes' to hunt that place. CONTINUE THE SUCCESSFUL PIC'S!
February 12, 2012 01:00PM
I would have been in trouble had I been in your shoes if the cat was the land owners. I would have probably broke its head against the under carriage and killed it. I hate cats especially when they climb on me. Instant reaction is to sling it off lol

I was hunting a farm one time and there was this rat terrier dog that found me and followed me. I was having a good day digging dropped civil war bullets and it seemed like every time the dog got near me I would find a bullet....he would wander off and disappear and I wouldn't find anything but when he came back to check me out I would get a signal and there be a bullet. I started calling him "Bullet". While I was digging the landowners drove up as they were heading to town and they asked me if I wanted the dog....somebody had dumped him out earlier that week and they had been feeding it but didn't want it. I said no at first....then as I was leaving he followed me to my truck. I had dug over 30 drop bullets and that was a outstanding day here. I got in my truck and still had my door open and he sat there looking at me. I asked him "Do you wanna go home with me Bullet" and next thing I knew this little rat terrier jumped flat footed into my lap in a F150 Pickup truck lol. So he came home with me. We found a home for him...a lady my wife knows is a 18 wheeler truck driver and had been wanting a ride along buddy. So Bullet is still alive and well and has travelled many thousands of miles cross country. From digging Civil War relics in Tennessee to who knows what all else that dude has got to do lol
February 12, 2012 01:41PM
Thanks for a typical or perhaps an untypical day in the field.Did some detecting and some roadside repair over the years so thanks for the smile on this snowy gloomy day 18 degree morning in Pa. and are we having fun yet...

Last summer coming off a 4 wheatie day pulled on the berm to help a brokendown family and you guess it tire fell in a hole and well thats another story....
February 12, 2012 01:58PM
Good stories, good reads, good memories... I enjoy them. Thanks guys!
February 12, 2012 08:47PM
AH! come on Daniel,cat's are cool Dude! There one of the best pets you can have.
February 12, 2012 09:30PM
No they're not! If you ever get to work in a vets office you will see they are the spawn of Satan!!
February 12, 2012 11:58PM
Great story and congrats on the good finds. Especially the large cent. I have never found one. I thnk that their awesome. Please keep us informed on what ya find. Are you having to detect through alot of iron such as nail beds?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 12:03AM by Kevin B.
February 13, 2012 12:33AM
Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great story and congrats on the good finds.
> Especially the large cent. I have never found one.
> I thnk that their awesome. Please keep us
> informed on what ya find. Are you having to detect
> through alot of iron such as nail beds?????

The nails aren't that big of an issue at this site...so far.
I avoided the area where the house once stood because it was bulldozed over into a pond.
I only had 2 hours there & I spent most of that time near the large trees hoping to find a cool piece of silver.
That 3D doesn't let me down very often.
I'm going back soon & if I find some neat stuff, I'll post it.
Thanks for looking............see ya yardhunter
February 13, 2012 05:21AM
excellent post!!!!!!!!!! love the pics and the way you took us along on your hunt. congrats onthe finds and keep posting.
February 14, 2012 05:39PM
Great post and pix!!

Wheat Stalker
CZ-5 Los Banos model (owned since '96)
Trek 5500
1966 Amphicar