Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Took the AT Pro with stock coil & 5x8 coil to homesite

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Took the AT Pro with stock coil & 5x8 coil to homesite
February 12, 2012 02:29PM
After having my Phone Consultation with NasaTom about a week ago, I have been re-scanning an old homesite in town with my AT Pro. My F75SE, even with 5 inch coil, will be next even though the EMI is really thick in the air around here. The AT Pro has been pulling some good stuff out of the ground for me. Ya know, it really makes a difference........random hunting versus intelligent hunting! The results speak for themselves. Each day that I have been going there has been for about two hours at a time. My time is limited due to having a mother in the ICU of the local hospital with Pneumonia plus Alzheimer's (7th stage) so I can hunt ONLY when I have someone in Momma's room who can relieve me and give me some free time. Since I am her primary caregiver, this is quite a task sometimes, but lately I have had alot of help from others as we await the antibiotics to destroy what the Doctor says the is the stubbornest case of pneumonia they have ever treated.
I won't go through the tedium of explaining each find right now in detail. I'll just state what is in the pics. Yesterday, a non-dated standing liberty quarter! I was pleased. Found with the 5x8 coil. The day before, a 1945 silver (30%) war nickel found in a pocket spill with a 1950 nickel and a wheat cent. Also, the brown, nickel sized coin is a 1890 V-Nickel in very worn condition. So far, coin wise, I have found three "firsts" from an place that I thought that I had thoroughly dug out. I went over this same plcae last spring with two different detectors and went over them very well.....I thought. I was VERY wrong. It's amazing what can happen if we let someone teach us who has been doing this longer than us. I'm glad that I could put my pride aside long enough to listen to a seasoned veteran. The phone consultation with NasaTom is proving invaluable.

There are also some wheat cents and various unidentifieds. This stuff is not even half of what I have pulled from this site over the last week. Not pictured is an old buckle. An old pocket knifle with swiveling loop on one bolster. One 58 cal Minie bullet. One 52 cal Sharps Carbine bullet. Civil War era suspender strap. Etc Etc. More pics later. Hope you enjoy.
Re: Took the AT Pro with stock coil & 5x8 coil to homesite
February 12, 2012 02:54PM
Find a good place and hunker down.
But I can say for a surety, my hunting buddy (Fred) wonders around like a chicken that has been be-headed and in most cases he finds more good stuff than everyone else combined.
Very different kind of hunter. I accused him of having ESP or dowsing for his finds, of course he denies all.
February 12, 2012 03:14PM
Some guys just know where to go in any paticuliar hunt area and yes some guys are just lucky and trip over them.

Surprising two guys hunting same area with two different units and using different hunt strategies some guys get em and some don't and of course vice versa thats whats nice hunting with a good hunting buddy...
February 13, 2012 01:09AM
Keep getting those "firsts" Kevin.
Nice finds.
February 13, 2012 03:05AM
That's great....Glad you found a SLQ!!!

You have a great machine !!!

As they say knowledge is the key to success....Sound's like Tom gave some great tip's...

Good for you...

Keith
February 13, 2012 03:41AM
That 5 x 8 coil is a pleasure to use. I typically end up with smaller coils on my detectors. Even back in the eighties when everyone said bigger is deeper I went small. And Garrett sure delivered a winner with that coil. I saw Keith's comparison with the Gold and Pro and how the 5 x 8 responded. I bought one and never looked back. Thank you Keith. I have seen Gold vs Pro and stock vs 5x 8 questions on other forums. I always send them a link to your review in a PM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 10:45AM by goodmore.