Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Headphone Mod... Out of the Way Cord, etc

Posted by Uncle Nudge 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Headphone Mod... Out of the Way Cord, etc
February 19, 2012 08:00AM
I shoud share this, as it's so easy it's probably been overlooked by most.

The main focus of this mod is to attach a "lobster clasp" to the headphone cord, then clip it to your belt loop. This way when you bend down, the cord stays against your body and out of the way.

You can find them on ebay, or elsewhere near to you. I use one big enough that's easy to open with gloves on, but not so big it's adding weight. The clasp will have a loop on one side... attach it to cord with either one or two zip ties (one loose on clasp, the other tight to cord). For proper length to attach to cord, I've found if I put my headphones on, stand up straight and put head slightly back, then grab cord where it touches belt loop... will be where to attach it (29" for me, but that will change with headphone type and your height).

Try that right now if you're curious... put headphones on, do the above and hold on belt loop (have detector too), then bend over like you're going to dig. No cord in your way!

I take it two steps further on my E-trac. First, I've cut my headphone cord around 20" from where cord exits headphone, then attached a mini jack there.

On the E-trac itself, I put on a 1/4" right angle plug for where it plugs into end of shaft, then run the cable along the frame, handle and to the back of control box... those all have covers, so cable stays in place underneath. I use good quality gaffers tape on handle (sturdy to dirt, weather and wear) for that portion of cable. From the back of the control box cover, the cord is approx another 4' with a mini jack (around 6' total). This plugs into headphone mini jack. That way if it does get snagged, it will disconnect without damage. For me, it is much better to have the cord coming out from behind the control box rather than the handle end.

I don't clip headphone cord lobster clasp to my belt loop, I made a loop out of two zip ties right on my tools belt (two in case one breaks). I also use lobster clasps on my trash and find bags. Easy to empty that way, and I can postion them on whatever loops I want. I can also undo the headphone plug from the jack (and undo clasp), then walk with headphones still on... keeps ears warm and headphones away from damage on ground.

If you have wireless, then disregard all :-)
Re: Headphone Mod... Out of the Way Cord, etc
February 19, 2012 04:46PM
Thanks for sharing...learned to live with my curly wire lengths but have been known to tape to the rod depending on the unit I am using..just might be a cure all or at least help a tad when hunting in the woods..

Next time forum members go to a planted hunt just look around as a lot of inventive guys and yes gals in the hobby..

One gal had the wire strung between her breasts...but thats another story......always distractions....